Avi

My friend and I were talking about names that we like, and I mentioned that I have always had a name-crush on [name]Avi[/name]. I really like the way it sounds. My friend, who is Jewish, thought that [name]Avi[/name] would be unusable on a boy who is not Jewish. I’ve been wondering about this…is she right? Hebrew names like [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Noah[/name], and so many others have been appropriated by people who aren’t Jewish, but is [name]Avi[/name] off limits?

I love [name]Avi[/name]! I am Jewish and I don’t think it’s unusable on a non-Jew. [name]Plenty[/name] of Hebrew names ([name]Asher[/name], [name]Aviva[/name]) have been moving toward the mainstream, and it’s a hell of a lot better than the culturally insensitive people using [name]Cohen[/name]!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Avi[/name]. [name]One[/name] of my favorite names ever since I read The [name]True[/name] Confessions of [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Doyle[/name] in grade school.

It’s definitely not limited to just Jewish children. While it’s not common among non-Jews, it’s perfectly fine to use. As esrever pointed out, plenty of other uncommon Jewish names have made their way into the mainstream. And she’s right - so long as it’s not [name]Cohen[/name], you’re just fine!

I knew a guy who went by the nn [name]Avi[/name]. He was [name]Indian[/name] and his full name was Aviraj, so I think [name]Avi[/name] can work in various cultures.

My son’s name is [name]Noah[/name] & we are not Jewish. So, I think [name]Avi[/name] would work.

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll feel much more comfortable using it when/if I have a boy!

@lucystone: I read that book in grade school, too! Now that I think about it, it’s probably where I first heard the name [name]Avi[/name] :slight_smile:

I’d be more worried about the .avi files!
Also: I love almost every girls’ name in your sig, OP, wonderful taste!

I think its usable. Be easier dealing with [name]Avi[/name] than many Hebrew names, too. I don’t mean “allowed,” I just mean its easy to say. I love Nehemya but I don’t see it making a mad mass appeal any time soon. :wink:

[name]Avi[/name] and [name]Ari[/name] are both ripe for crossover I think, and also not offensive to use at all.