Aziraphale - too complex or perfectly whimsical?

I have a bouncing baby boy due this [name_f]September[/name_f], and I’ve recently been watching the show Good Omens. I’ve fallen in love with the name of the fictional angel from this series, Aziraphale. For ease and if he would like, I think the nickname Az could be used when necessary.

But since I’ve gotten so used to it, it sounds lovely and peaceful, but a bit whimsical, so I don’t know if to an objective party if it would sound ridiculous. What are some pros and cons of this name?

Thank you! heart

Personally, I haven’t seen that program so have not seen it before and feel that it is much too complicated and long and would be difficult to wear.

Too complicated of a name imo.

I also, sadly, find it to be a bit too much name. Of course people would get used to it as they do with all uncommon names, but I do think you and Aziraphale would be in for a long uphill battle.

Does the simplified [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]/[name_m]Rafael[/name_m] appeal to you since it’s sort of tucked in there?

I also find it a bit of a mouthful though I think Azi would be a cute nn. Maybe [name_m]Azriel[/name_m]?

But check out the meaning first. Does it mean [name_u]Angel[/name_u] of Death? Yikes.

I would look for a similar Az-el Hebrew name with a solid meaning personally but also we are fans of these authors and can’t wait to find time to watch this series! I do think it’s a big name and I think a made up name… Not that names weren’t made up at one point of another. I’m hesitant to say it’s too much but I would go for similar but easier to recognize as a known name, perzonally. Zuriel even perhaps, lots and lots of good options.

I’m not sure how to pronounce it (never seen the show). My first instinct was to Greek-ify it and pronounce the final E. But I’m guessing that’s wrong. I imagine he would have this issue a lot—people having just no idea how to say his name. I like the suggestions of looking for other angelic names that may be easier to pronounce but have a similar feel. Or maybe [name_f]Azure[/name_f]?

I think it would be an amazing middle name. I would hesitate for a first, but if you love it, go for it! I have several names on my lists that were “made up” for a character in a book, some of which have become name canon because they are so iconic - [name_f]Daenerys[/name_f], Aragorn, and Atreyu come to mind. [name_m]Even[/name_m] common names like [name_f]Miranda[/name_f], [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] were made up by famous authors. There’s no reason why you couldn’t use it, especially in a combo with a more grounded, familiar name to fall back on in case he’s not taken with the whimsy as he gets older.

I personally find it a bit complex for a first name, unless you and the child consistently go with the nickname at all times. I am unsure how to pronounce it as well - not a dealbreaker but since it is also long, you may run into difficulties. That’s not to say you shouldn’t use it if your heart is set, but maybe a variation or a middle name would work better. [name_m]Just[/name_m] my 2 cents!

I also automatically pronounced it w/the final E sounded: [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-ZEER-uh-Fah-lee. W/the final E pronounced to me it sounds more feminine than masculine, but if it’s [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-ZEER-uh-Fail it’s more unisex. I like longer names for girls (e.g., [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]), but shorter names for boys, but that’s just me. If I had a student w/this name I’d for sure ask how it was pronounced before I tried to say it so that I wouldn’t mangle it!

Pronunciation nightmare, sorry!

For a start, I wouldn’t have a clue how to pronounce Aziraphale.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about using it as a middle name? Or going for Azira instead? :slight_smile: