Azzurra

A friend is asking on nn options for this name…but not sure what to suggest for her.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] any of you know if this is a common Italian name, and if so, what are the common nns are?

Thanks!

Here is the link if you need it: Meaning, origin and history of the name Azzurra - Behind the Name

I have friends with a cat named Azzuro - they call him Azzy.

I guess it depends upon their taste in nns… I can see [name_f]Azzie[/name_f], Azza, [name_u]Zuri[/name_u], Zura, Zazie.

The English spelling is [name_f]Azura[/name_f], fwiw.

[name_f]Azzurra[/name_f]/Azzurro look more like Italian surnames than first names to me. I’ve seen [name_f]Azura[/name_f] (English) and [name_f]Azure[/name_f] ([name_m]French[/name_m]) as first names. I think [name_u]Zuri[/name_u] would make a spunky nn choice.

There are some good suggestions up ahead, I’ll add [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f], [name_u]Ari[/name_u], and [name_u]Ara[/name_u].

I have never heard it as an Italian first name. It looks like a contrived spelling of [name_f]Azura[/name_f], which is, in my opinion, much better.

[name_f]Azzura[/name_f]= Ass. Sorry, had to be said!

I like [name_u]Zuri[/name_u].

It looks weird for me, sorry. I prefer [name_f]Azura[/name_f]/[name_f]Azure[/name_f].

[name_f]Azura[/name_f] is much better - and is an actual name. Our daughter is Azula and her nickname (most often) is baby Zu.

I love [name_f]Azura[/name_f] nn Zura. [name_f]Azzurra[/name_f] looks weird to me

Thanks for the thoughts! She is in Great [name_m]Britain[/name_m], and her hubby is Italian. Not sure that she will want the American spelling. I will pass on the idea for nns.

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

[name_f]Azzurra[/name_f] literally means ‘blue’ in Italian. I find it a strange choice for an Italian parent, since as far as I know it is not commonly used as a first name in [name_f]Italy[/name_f]. (I could be wrong about that.)

It also seems like a poor choice for a child that’s going to be living in an English-speaking country. It sounds quite different in an Italian accent and a British accent. I’d expect it to be butchered by most English people, actually.

Thanks, Jeska. I will try to sway her from it.