Babies due April-June 2021

@SunKissedChild hurray! Congrats

I’d had the same thought since my husband hasn’t been allowed to come to any appointments with me, either. We’ve been able to FaceTime/Zoom, but it’s not quite the same as having him there in person.

@SunKissedChild congrats on your baby girl!

Had a routine check in type appointment last week and met one of the midwives in my practice this time. Had a scary few minutes after she couldn’t find baby’s heartbeat with the doppler. Had to wait a few minutes for the ultrasound machine to open up and thankfully she was able to find it with that. I’m only 15 weeks and have an anterior placenta again this time, so that got in the way apparently. :roll_eyes: We have our anatomy scan [name_u]January[/name_u] 20th, so we’re anxious for that! Our friend’s daughter is super excited and wants to throw us a gender reveal (we’ve basically been quarantine buddies with this family through COVID, so it’ll only be us and them), so we won’t be finding out at the scan what we’re having. The week wait until the reveal will probably be awful. lol

2 Likes

I want to do a baby sprinkle (ie mini shower). We are soooo excited for our second child, this is a really hard and high risk pregnancy with a long road to recovery, and I want to celebrate!

For those having not their first baby, if you were to want to throw a virtual baby sprinkle, how would you do it?

Thank you!

I get where you’re coming from… I’d love to sort of celebrate in some way too.

But no idea how to throw a baby sprinkle at all… it feels like a lot of the baby shower is about receiving gifts, and I don’t know, it sort of feels greedy in some way to throw a party asking for gifts for your second child, especially if you’re organising it yourself rather than it being a friend’s idea? But maybe that’s because I’m in NZ and I think baby showers themselves came over pretty recently from the States, like in the last 15 years or so.

And a virtual one… there’s probably some cool games you can play or something, but I’m not sure! Let us know how you get on.

Oh yeah, gifts definitely are not the main focus. More like this : https://www.mustelausa.com/blogs/mustela-mag/baby-sprinkle-what-it-is-and-how-to-throw-one

I’m imagining maybe a 40min zoom/skype session … a fun game …maybe birth predictions for baby, compile them on a board, and announce who got closest once baby is born. Maybe sharing pro tips and tricks from folks, what surprised them most when they had their second kid? Maybe a quick and fun trivia?

2 Likes

I think you have some good ideas! I have thrown a baby sprinkle for a friend once, but hers was much more like a regular shower because her kids were so far apart in age they were having to almost start over from scratch. We did do “baby” trivia/Jeopardy–clues about baby items, baby characters in movies, baby animal names, etc. It was fun. There are definitely online games that are easy for groups to play over Zoom, too. I’ve used one that was [name_m]Bingo[/name_m] and everyone accessed their card either on their computer or on their phone. Super easy to play over Zoom or Skype. Same with trivia and other games. I like the idea of people sharing tips and tricks for multiple kids, too. Always nice to hear from other parents who have “been there, done that” as long as you remember you can ultimately parent the way you want. haha

2 Likes

Happy [name_u]New[/name_u] Year everyone! :partying_face:

6 Likes

Finally!! 17 wks 3 days and we found a heartbeat! I had my scheduled 16-week appt a week ago, and two of my midwives searched and searched with the Doppler and couldn’t find it. [name_f]My[/name_f] placenta was swishing so loudly that we’re pretty sure it’s in front, making it harder to find the baby. They would have sent us for an ultrasound then if we’d wanted, but I was measuring where I should, so we decided to wait another week. Almost gave up on the little thing again today, but we finally found it. I think he/she’s been down low, hiding behind the placenta, and just came out of the lair for a minute today :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: 140-153, loud and clear. I’m thankful.

6 Likes

Had my second half of my level 2 u/s [ie anatomy scan] today. Everything’s looking good and totally unremarkable, thankfully. HB a nice and strong 166. Got a good look at her face, and she even waved hello, heh :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@LynnG Aww, I love that you got a wave!! Our girl gave us a thumbs up at the last ultrasound!

I can feel her moving much more often now, especially at night. Hubs is a little jealous that he can’t feel her move yet.

2 Likes

@LaurenAlexis she rly likes when we play video games. At 24 wks, fetal inner ears are formed, so hearing is improved now. She’s probably reacting to hearing us cheering/jeering at the game!

2 Likes

26 week ultrasound today to check on my little guys heart. Everything was fine, they just couldn’t get photos of it that were clear. So, checked him out, heart is great, but his kidney is underdeveloped a bit. 🤷 Same thing with the last guy, so it’s not really worrisome this time around. It’s really close to were it should be. So I get to see his little face again in a couple weeks when we make sure he’s back on track. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you’re all feeling well and getting ready to hold those sweet little babes :heart:

6 Likes

24 weeks and counting down! Any tips on getting pets ready for the new baby?

I was wondering the same thing! We have a pug that has been our baby for the past 1.5 years, so I’m worried how he’ll react when we bring our baby girl home. He’s a sweetheart and I know he’d never hurt her intentionally, I just want to prepare him to be around her.

1 Like

Our [name_m]German[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] is 3 and while he loves the young kids he’s met, he’s never been around an infant and I’m not sure how he’ll feel about the whole thing. I’m thinking I need to start bringing some baby gear home for him to get used too (stroller, carseat) but I wish there was a way to tell him what to expect so we’re not just springing it on him when we get home from the hospital.

He has started to gently lay his head on my belly differently than he used to, so maybe he can hear the heartbeat?

– Let your furry family member sniff and examine the baby.
– Don’t force them to be in the same room or be comfortable with baby before they are ready.
– Lots of praise, affirmation, and positive reinforcement.
– Head off anything that can turn to jealousy or resentment.
– Never leave together unsupervised.

We did lots of positive associative training with our [unfortunately now deceased] kitties. Mostly in the form of positive praise, a gentle loving pet, and lots of treats for our kitties whenever they remained calm despite baby’s fussing or [later on] gave the baby a sniff or [much later on] a gentle nuzzle/head bump.

Babies’ sudden and shrill sounds can be a little shocking / piercing / distressing to our fueey family members’ delicate ears, especially given their sensitive and heightened sense of hearing. Be on the lookout for signs of stress behaviors and make sure outlets are available. Dogs and kitties may need a little more love/reassurance during this time. It needn’t be much – just a reassuring pat here and there, bringing home their favorite food/snack, or just a quick 5 minutes of one-on-one time. This can be especially true for rescues, particularly ones that have been abandoned by what they thought was their forever family.

And, gentle reminder. No matter how good the pet and baby seem together, never leave them together unsupervised. Both are still unpredictable, and accidents happen…although not extremely common [thankfully!], they are completely avoidable.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of some people playing baby cries and sounds so that their pups get used to it. [name_u]Or[/name_u] holding their phone in a pile of blankets while playing baby sounds. I agree with other posters though get your baby stuff as set up as you can, and start enforcing the ‘new rules’ if you have any like no getting in the crib (though I don’t think this will be a problem with a [name_m]German[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]), or the nursery is off limits, no barking at the mail man during nap time etc. before baby comes.

And again like others have said, make sure they get a gentle introduction, and react quickly to any dominating or territorial/jealous behaviors. And never leave them alone together, even if up to that point they’ve got on great, dogs and babies are unpredictable.

I’m 90% percent certain our pup could smell our babe when she was in the womb. She would smoosh her nose right up to my belly and sniff away!

2 Likes

My pup smells my belly all the time and gets as close as he can to do it! I’m convinced he knows there’s something in there. He’ll also lay across my belly and baby girl will start kicking him as he lays there. I’m already sure they’ll have a great relationship. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

19 weeks tomorrow, and I’m pretty sure I’ve felt baby move a few times this past week! Gentle little taps. Makes me happy.

4 Likes

I’m 26 weeks today - there’ll be days in a row where he seems to regularly go crazy and then days in a row where I barely notice him. Trying to not let my anxiety get to me on the quieter days!

Starting to ‘nest’ a bit, getting excited to meet him. Bought a double stroller and got some of the newborn clothes back out, they’re so tiny!

With pets - I don’t have much advice and don’t have a dog, but our cat was really good with our first. Jealousy an issue, and him jumping on top of her when she was asleep or feeding on me as he wanted cuddles too, so I’d find myself in tbe blistering summer heat with a hot baby AND an overweight hairy cat draped over me, which was torture. But he’s been so gentle.

4 Likes