Babies due April-June 2021

How is everyone? [name_f]Hope[/name_f] everyone is doing well!

2 Likes

In keeping with the c-names of this group like [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and [name_f]Caledonia[/name_f], [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_u]Owen[/name_u] arrived on [name_f]Monday[/name_f]!

It was a hell of a roller coaster, turned up for a routine ctg to check on things because I was over 41 weeks, and the trace wasn’t looking good - not much movement, not much variability, then showed a sinusoidal trace which is apparently very rare (got passed around all the hospital midwives to look at afterwards!) and associated with infant morbidity/mortality… then as they were looking at it and deciding whether emergency c-section was needed his heart rate dropped from 145 to 86 and stayed there for a minute or so before coming back up. So whipped straight to theatre and out he came.

Blood work showed his blood had mixed with mine, there must have been a break in either the cord or placenta and he lost about 90 mls of blood. I had no symptoms of anything wrong and not sure exactly when it happened, but if not for that routine ctg booked in then I could have lost him, so scary. I then lost a litre of blood myself during c-section, but we’re both doing brilliantly now. He’s still in a little incubator and had a blood tranfusion to bring his haemoglobin up, but he’s so strong and feeding well and should be out in a day or two.

@sarah1800 how are you doing?

And everyone else, whether life with your bubbas or still waiting, are you going okay? :heart:

4 Likes

Things are going well here now, but our first week home with [name_f]Caledonia[/name_f] was rough – I’m not going to lie. We had a lot come at us all at once, although everything turned out okay.

She was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia shortly after birth (her left hip socket is too shallow). So we’re seeing a pediatric orthopedist and she has a [name_m]Pavlik[/name_m] harness that she wears 18 hours a day so that the hip joint forms correctly.

[name_f]My[/name_f] milk was slow to come in (day 4) and I had very low supply. [name_f]Caledonia[/name_f] also was having issues latching. She lost over a pound from birthweight and was getting so lethargic. We saw the hospital IBLC and she set us up with an every 2 hour feeding plan of attempt nursing for 30 mins, offer bottle of formula, and pump for 20 minutes (so almost 12 hours a day actively trying to feed her).

TW: gross, blood

Then at 8 days postpartum, I felt a weird pressure “down there” and got up to go to the bathroom. It turned out to be the blood clot from hell (we’re talking grapefruit size here) but I honestly thought it might be some kind of prolapse, like my uterus or bladder falling out of me. We had a family member come over to watch and feed [name_f]Caledonia[/name_f] and hubby rushed me to the ER. Still don’t what exactly caused it – they told me “retained materials if conception” and my midwife mentioned “sometimes there are accessory materials” but she was waiting to see the pathology reports and we’ll discuss more at my 6 week follow up appt.

I was pretty traumatized from the ER visit and made the decision to switch [name_f]Callie[/name_f] over to formula, because I couldn’t deal with the mental strain of pumping and watching her fight the breast. It was a good choice for us – she is really thriving and putting on weight and I am feeling so much better mentally now.

3 Likes

@Kiriko Congrats! [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_u]Owen[/name_u] is absolutely darling! [name_u]Love[/name_u] our C name trend – wonder if there will be more in this group?

1 Like

@LibelluleClaire I used to be the same way. I would get really nauseous, lightheaded, etc with needles. Between testing for abdominal pain a few years ago, having a baby, and now being pregnant again, I’ve gotten used to it. lol At least enough that I don’t get lightheaded anymore, but I still don’t like the pain of needles.

@Kiriko I’m so sorry you went through all that, but I’m so glad you and [name_m]Casper[/name_m] are doing well now! I can imagine all of that was quite scary. And [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_u]Owen[/name_u] is very handsome, btw!

@LaurenAlexis [name_f]Holy[/name_f] moly, that all sounds terrifying too. I’m sorry everyone has had so many unexpected things come up, but glad to see things are okay, too. I struggled with breastfeeding with my daughter, as well, albeit for different reasons, and the switch to formula was such a lifesaver for us. There was just too much stress attached to breastfeeding for us to be healthy. I’m so glad [name_f]Callie[/name_f] is doing well with formula and putting weight back on. Our daughter did really well with formula too and she is one of the healthiest kids I’ve ever met despite not being nursed/breastfed for very long. I hope the same for sweet [name_f]Callie[/name_f].

Things here are quite mild and uneventful comparatively. I’m just getting progressively bigger and more uncomfortable as the days go by. lol Saw my midwife about my diabetes and she decided to have me try an oral medication first before jumping straight to insulin injections since my fasting level was the only one that was ever inexplicably high. [name_m]Just[/name_m] started it last night and fasting level was almost in the range it needs to be, so hopefully over the next couple days it will come the rest of the way down. If not, I will have to move to insulin. I had already prepared myself for that, so I’m ready if that ends up being the case. We have a growth ultrasound next week to make sure baby girl isn’t packing on too much weight or anything because of the GD.

I scheduled an elective ultrasound at one of those free-standing fetal imaging centers so my husband could come with me and see at least one ultrasound. He hasn’t gotten to see any of them this time because of provider COVID restrictions, whereas he was at every single one my first pregnancy (and we had a LOT). Wanted to make sure he had at least one experience this time since this is likely our last baby. So looking forward to that and hoping we get a good image of her face. We’ve had a few that were decent, more than we had with our first daughter, but still don’t have a really good one.

We’re still debating names, too, but I don’t think we’ll fall into the C name trend in here. haha [name_f]My[/name_f] 3 year old is convinced her baby sister’s name is [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. We both like [name_f]Molly[/name_f], but it’s more popular than we really prefer and we have others we really like, too. Might just take a few to the hospital and decide when we meet her.

1 Like

@Kiriko congratulations! I figured he must be here by now! Sorry it was so scary, but I’m glad he arrived safely and you’re both doing well. I hope you get to go home soon and settle in. You don’t say how big he was–was he chunky at 41 weeks?

@LaurenAlexis oof, glad you both made it through that first week ok. I passed a small piece of placenta a couple days after my second was born, and that was disturbing enough–thoughts of a D&C flashed through my head. But I was fine after that. I hope things continue to go smoothly for you.

I’m doing well at 34w 4d. Just 2 1/2 weeks to go till we’ll be clear for a legal midwife-attended birth! 5 1/2 till my due date. I woke up hurting this morning; every once in awhile I have pain way down low on the left side below the uterus. I don’t know if it’s a gas pocket or if baby presses on the ligament down there, but that spot was tender last pregnancy also. It lets up quickly.

I’ve begun stashing freezer meals–does anyone have some favorites? Turns out frozen pizza is very easy to make yourself, so I have a couple of those and an egg-and-potato pie. Planning to do a couple lasagnas this weekend.

No C names on our list, but I’m not next in line so I may not be the first to break the trend :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Kiriko Congratulations! I’m sorry everything was so stressful but glad you’re both doing well. [name_u]Love[/name_u] his name btw. No C name here, [name_f]Clara[/name_f] was our runner-up though!

@LaurenAlexis [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you’re both doing well. I attempted breastfeeding with my first two but ultimately switched to formula. [name_f]My[/name_f] last baby, and this one, will be strictly formula. I have never produced enough and it’s just too scary worrying that they’re not getting what they need.

I’m 36 weeks tomorrow and will be seeing Maternal Fetal Health for an ultrasound and whatever else they plan to do. [name_f]My[/name_f] doctor spoke yesterday about inducing at 39 weeks or as close as we can get to that point if sooner, due not just to the precipitous birth issue, but now insulin. He said there’s no point dragging it out past that point when she may be at risk. So that’s only three weeks or less! So far she’s only measuring in the 69th percentile and he said she’s head down now so things are going well enough, hoping the appointment goes okay. Lots of increasingly painful cramps and contractions and pelvic pain. Feels like she’s headbutting my cervix sometimes too. So my body is getting ready. I’ve been in crazy nesting mode the last week or so, am cleaning and purging everything, so just waiting to see what happens at this point. Fasting numbers are all low now, no highs at all since the insulin. So we’ll see!

1 Like

@Kiriko that must’ve been stressful! But I’m glad to hear you’re both doing well now!
@ChelsAnne22 sorry things were rough that first week, I know with my first I was told breastfeeding was so wonderful and bonding etc. etc. but breastfeeding for me definitely didn’t come naturally, It was painful (for months! Everyone kept telling me it shouldn’t be painful if you’re doing it right, but no matter how she was latched or how we were positioned it was painful until my hormone levels evened out a bit and I lost some of the nipple sensitivity) and stressful and very mentally taxing. And I now feel that a healthy momma and a fed baby is what’s most important! So I’m glad you guys found something that works for the both of you!
@auroradawn I’m glad things are going well! I’m terrible at meal prep, I have thousands of freezer meal ideas pinned and saved all over the place, and then I never seem to find the time to actually make them. So I’m always impressed with people who have their freezer stocked before baby arrives.
@LiliMorgana 3 weeks sounds so close! How exciting!

I’m at 35 weeks & 4 days and I’m definitely ready to not be pregnant anymore! I always feel bad complaining because physically I have really easy pregnancies but they definitely take a toll on my mental health, and just having a healthy baby in my arms would be such a relief to me. But we’re nearing the end, baby girl is healthy, Im healthy and overall things are looking good! And though I can’t pinpoint anything in particular I can feel a difference in my body and I can tell it’s preparing for labor! Now baby girl just has to cooperate and stay head down, she was at the last ultrasound but she’s been transverse pretty much this whole pregnancy and I can tell she keeps trying to flip back to side lying position

No ‘c’ names on our list either! But I know we’ve got a few people who have [name_f]May[/name_f] due dates so I don’t think we’re next in line either.

3 Likes