Babies due October-December 2019

@brandiedarlene: congrats! You might have a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby, how exciting.

@june1070: glad everything is going well. That’s quite a big difference in your due date.

I’m now 5 days away from the 12 week milestone, and we’ve decided to tell SO’s extended family this weekend, since they’re coming over for [name_f]Easter[/name_f] (from abroad), and this is probably our only chance to tell them in person.
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you guys pick godparents for your children, and if so, have you already decided who you’ll chose? For us this is quite a big deal, because we’re quite traditional when it comes to this kind of thing, and we want someone who’ll actually help raise our child in the Catholic faith. I think we’ll ask my uncle, who the baby will be named after if it’s a boy, and one of our best friends, so the baby will have two godfathers.

Also, SO is reconsidering not finding out baby’s gender. Maybe he’ll find out, while I won’t… Has anyone ever done this, only one parent finding out?

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] and congratulations @brandiedarlene and @june1070!

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] to hear everything is going well!

We told the kids today with their [name_f]Easter[/name_f] baskets. We did our [name_f]Easter[/name_f] today because my husband has to be out of town tomorrow. We are not a religious family, for us the time together is more important than when it occurs so we schedule around things like that. I put an ultrasound picture into a large egg for each of them, and then they opened an egg that had the first name on it. None of us knew the sex of the baby before hand - I sent my co-worker the results of my blood test without seeing them and she made the egg for me :slight_smile: It was very exciting and a little frustrating to have to wait, lol. I would NOT last an entire pregnancy not knowing!!! I am happy to announce that we are having a boy, so [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] it is! I have middle names I like, but they are not set in stone. I told my husband I would be flexible with middle names since I refused to have any name other than [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] as a first name, lol. He has accepted it since he chose the first name for a girl, which we will definitely still use in the future.

The kids took it really well and seem quite excited, even though their baby sister at their dad’s house is due via c-section this coming [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f]! We laughed about the craziness of it.

Thank you everyone!

@bluedanube that is so exciting! Congratulations on your little boy. I just found out there was such a thing as a blood test for gender last week. I was pumped because I’m a total type A personality and want to know asap so I can plan. Only 3 more weeks until we can test!

LOL me too!! I bought the test as soon as I was sure I was pregnant ROFL. I bought it online from SneakPeak, cost me $80. [name_m]WORTH[/name_m] IT! I did have a feeling early on that it was a girl, but it started to feel like wishful thinking and I told my husband I thought we were having a boy a few weeks ago… so that makes me 3 for 3 on knowing the sex before the test! My theory is my PMDD allows me to pick up on the hormonal differences, so that’s kind of cool. I bought this test even before my first appointment with the midwife ( LOL there’s that type A), and then when we talked about testing, it turns out because of my age they will do a more detailed test to look for chromosomal abnormalities that will also reveal the sex. So, double sure? [name_f]Bet[/name_f] it will cost me more than $80 through my insurance…

Godparents - my kids don’t have them

I found out the sex ahead of time with each pregnancy. My partner always found out at the same time. I can’t imagine only 1 knowing - it seems like it would make it hard to not slip up. Personally, I would not be able to not know before birth. It would drive me totally nuts.

Working - I also plan to return to work after 3 months off. I work in a Montessori preschool as an assistant teacher and I adore what I do. Timing was really important with this pregnancy (and future ones) because I wanted it to mesh well with my school schedule. I run a program in the summer for kids age 3-12, so I wanted to be 2nd trimester by [name_u]June[/name_u] (or late [name_u]June[/name_u]) if possible, and delivering sometime between [name_u]November[/name_u] and [name_f]February[/name_f] so that I had time to get to know next year’s new preschoolers (we start at 28-36 months and have the kids for 2-3 years before they transition to 4K/5K) but also be done with leave in time to be there for the end of the school year ([name_u]June[/name_u]) and run next year’s summer program. LOL. So we got this one spot on! I feel so insanely lucky. I do wish I could take more time off, but I will not receive any pay while I am off so 3 months is a big stretch as it is.

So over the weekend we told SO’s extended family about the pregnancy. They were all positive about it. We also told Hjörtur, because he’d definitely notice something was going on when we told SO’s family. At first we though he didn’t quite understand or he just wasn’t interested, which would even be normal for a boy his age. But I guess he just had to take it in, because a few hours later he started asking questions. And when his dad (my ex husband) came to pick him up, he rushed to the door and told him immediately “guess what, we’re having a new baby”. But now he seems to have forgotten about it again, which is also quite normal.

About finding out the gender, I think I might have changed my mind and we’ll find out anyway. My next appointment is in a week, so I’ve got a bit of time to think about it.

Yay! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] everyone is excited for you @rosebeth!

@bluedanube: thank you! I don’t take it for granted and would have understood if people needed some time to get used to the idea, given everything that’s happened.

I know I’ve been [name_f]MIA[/name_f] lately, but I do check this thread every few days. We’ve been so busy that it’s hard to update and it seems like there’s never much to update anyhow! Today I had a quick regular appointment and heard baby very clearly. I felt it wiggling around pretty good last night too so I’m glad everything so far is going well. We scheduled the anatomy scan for 3 weeks and I’m so so so excited to see baby again! We should know the gender before we visit my family on Memorial day weekend so that should be fun too!

Now that we’re closer to finding out the gender I’m second guessing our name choices. Though I’ve been somewhat looking for alternatives I can’t find other names I prefer and yet I have some doubts. Is Ruby too lofty of a name? Too spunky and less feminine than Alice & Clara? Is David too boring and plain in comparison? I love both, but making a decision is hard. I had this problem with my girls as well. We would like to have a name picked when we find out the gender. Any input on the names we have?

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]. She sounds just right with [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. Vintage and spunky. [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]. Perfect!! [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] doesn’t sound any less feminine to me than [name_f]Alice[/name_f] or [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

Boy names are hard for me. [name_m]David[/name_m] does sound nice, but my brain is calling for something a little more Victorian to match [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Edgar[/name_m], [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Charles[/name_m]? I love [name_m]Albert[/name_m], but is that too matchy with [name_f]Alice[/name_f]? Also like [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], and [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] a lot.

[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_m]Albert[/name_m]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_m]David[/name_m]

I had another appointment yesterday. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a super fast one, heard the heartbeat again. Quiet but strong. I’m almost 12 weeks now.

I’m pretty sure I am growing a clone of my husband. Right away I started hating mayonnaise - my husband can’t stand mayo but I love it. My other 2 pregnancies I continued to love mayo… My favorite food ever for the last 6 weeks of so is definitely mashed potatoes and brown gravy - which I forgot my husband loves so much because I don’t cook potatoes all that often. Also really in to chicken noodle soup lately, which is (you guessed it) another favorite of my husband’s. I have no sweet tooth whatsoever which is odd for me - but my husband does not like sweet things at all. I’m more into spicy food than usual - husband is a hot sauce on almost everything kind of guy. We are totally cracking up about it and keep laughing about how the kid might end up looking just like him.

This is new territory for me - my own tastes definitely dominated my other pregnancies. Has this happened to any of you? What foods are you super into lately? I’m also dreaming a lot about food. The other night I had a dream that I was grocery shopping and I was super hungry and every time I finished shopping and took the bags to the car, I thought of more food I wanted and had to go back in. The last time I went in I found a giant hashbrown patty and I just stood there staring at it, thinking it was the most delicious looking thing in the world. Lol. We went out for brunch after we got up that morning, and I definitely ate some hash browns and they were delicious ”

@cyoung: [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is just fine with [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f], I think the three of them would make a great sibset!

@bluedanube: the food thing is not as bad for me as it was when I was pregnant with Hjörtur. This time I’ve gone off my coffee though. That’s probably a good thing, because too much caffeine obviously isn’t good for baby. I just have one cup of coffee in the morning now. One thing that’s struck me this time is that I absolutely can’t stand the smell of fish and sea food. I don’t eat it anyway, because I’m a vegetarian, but I never used to mind the smell. Now it just makes me feel sick. I haven’t had too much weird cravings, but I tend to like salty things more and dislike sweet things.

We had our next appointment today, and SO asked the gyn about baby’s gender. At first I didn’t want to know, but when we got home I asked him to tell me. We’re having a boy! I feel kind of relieved, because I find boys’ names so much easier. But now that I know, I’m starting to second guess our choice for a baby. We were going with [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], after my uncle and baby’s godfather. It feels like the right name for him, but would it be weird for him to share his name with a close relative? [name_m]How[/name_m] do you guys feel about that?

Thank you both for your input. @bluedanube while I do love most of your suggestions I still worry that they are all so classic. I think I’m leaning towards keeping [name_m]David[/name_m] for now though. It has 5 letters like my girls and it shares the same meaning as my name. I know I can change my mind anytime. I think the finality of it scares me a bit.

@rosebeth Congrats on your boy! It seems as though you may be having a similar issue to me, second guessing once you’ve pretty much decided. I don’t think it’s weird to share a name with a relative as long as your relationship with him is a good one. [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] is a great, strong name with some cute nicknames you can use one to distinguish him from your uncle.

By the way, I added a list of due dates and genders to the first page. Please let me know if any info is wrong and needs to be corrected

@rosebeth congrats! I think Vincent is a wonderful name, and I agree with cyoung that’s it’s not weird to share a name if the relationship is good. I stopped drinking coffee last year, just because it irritated my stomach too much and gives me terrible headaches. I love the taste, though. My first pregnancy I couldn’t stand the smell, my second it was a nonissue, and this time it smells FREAKING AMAZING lol. Like every time my husband has a cup of coffee I’m hovering around just to smell it haha. I need a coffee scented candle, I think. I still drink black tea, only 1 or 2 cups a day. I really like nettle tea, as well. I also can’t stand the smell of raw fish or seafood, but that’s been the case all 3 times now. Yuck.

Thank you both. I’ve got a very good relationship with my uncle, I love him to bits. He’s also great with Hjörtur. My own father lives abroad, and I guess my uncle has taken over his role a little, despite being only 10 years older than me. I’ve got a very good relationship with my dad too, but it’s difficult not having someone around sometimes. My uncle also has mental health issues, which means I sometimes have to take care of him instead of the other way around, but that’s only brought us closer together. Anyway, I guess what I’m saying is, I can’t think of a better namesake for our son.

We’re now testing the name [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] for a while, by using it when referring to the baby, so that we can see if it sticks. We’re not telling anyone else we’re having a boy though, we want it to be a surprise to everyone else.

Finding the right name is so incredibly difficult… Where I’m from, in Iceland, there are very strict naming rules and you have to pick a name from a list of approved names. I’ve been interested in names since I was very young, and grew up with the idea that one day I’d have to chose a name from that list if I ever wanted children. But then I moved to a country with less strict naming rules and all of a sudden there’s so many names to chose from, it’s terrifying :stuck_out_tongue:

Today one of our best friends, the man we asked to be the baby’s godfather together with my uncle, has passed away. We’re devastated, can’t take it in but also can’t breathe because it hurts like hell. We asked him last week, he was so honored. And now he’s gone.
Sorry, I think it just needed to vent a little.

Well, I saw this post the other week, and thought it was about time to post something. I’m 16 weeks, and this is my first. It’s been pretty hectic all around already, and pretty stressful, a bit. I was puking nonstop for weeks on end, and nothing really didn’t make me puke, and then it finally stopped about 3 weeks ago, I wanna say. It’s been great since, a little heartburn, but great. I haven’t found out what I’m having yet, obviously from ultrasound, but I did the blood test, and then had to resend the results( or request to have that looked at as well) since my doctor forgot to check the box for the gender. So, i’ve been waiting for that for almost a week now, and should know by the end of the week.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] to everyone else!

Oh, honey! That is so awful… I’m so sorry… Unexpected passings are so hard to process. I feel for you. Hugs. xoxo

@rosebeth I am so sorry to hear this sad news. It sounds like he was a wonderful friend and I’m glad you let him know how much he meant to you before his passing. I hope you can come to terms with it in time. His name was [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], right? Perhaps using it for your boy will be a way to keep his spirit alive.

@brigx Congratulations! I am 17w3d now so it sounds like we’re due rather close together. That must be frustrating that you didn’t find out the gender with the blood test, but you’ll still know sooner than the anatomy scan! I am so ready to know what to call our little one, but it’s still a couple weeks off.

As for me, I am somewhat emotional because [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is turning 1 next week! I honestly don’t know where the time has gone. It makes me nostalgic for the newborn days and yet I’m also somewhat dreading them because I remember all to well the sleepless nights and constant nursing. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is now fully potty trained too, which means less diapers and I now can’t call her a baby any longer. These kids grow up so fast!

@rosebeth I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose someone unexpectedly. hugs We’re here for you.

@brigx congratulations!!! Too bad you had a rough go of it in your first trimester. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you are feeling better now, though! Second trimester is my favorite! [name_m]How[/name_m] frustrating about the blood test! I just did mine (results came back today!) and my midwife made me check the box for the sex chromosomes. Any feeling on what you’re having?

@cyoung awww! Those first months and years really do fly by… And they don’t stop! My oldest starts high school in the fall and I’m just like, wait, what?? Hats off to you though - potty training one with another under one and in diapers! Mama, you are a super hero. Can I ask how old each daughter was when you got pregnant? I’m planning on 18 months, but it really depends on where I am at with school. I am studying for public education, and the last part is demonstration teaching so I obviously can’t have a due date anywhere near there!

I got the results back from the panel my midwife had me do because of my “advanced maternal age” - I have never heard 34 sound SO old!! Lol. We laughed because that is the official medical terminology. Anyhow, baby came back negative for 3 major chromosomal abnormalities, and double confirmation - we are having a boy :slight_smile: I was pretty sure the results would be the same, but it’s good to know! Only negative lately is I’ve had the same headache for 3 days. Ugh.

@mummacat92: thank you, that’s very sweet.

@cyoung325: thanks. [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] is my uncle’s name, he’ll be baby’s other godfather. My friend’s name was [name_m]Christophe[/name_m]. We may very well use a name to honor him, but to be honest I can’t think about that just yet.

@bluedanube: thank you. We lost another close friend unexpectedly only 14 months ago, it’s all very hard to come to terms with.