Babies :)

Hello, momberries! I was wondering how long you waited after having your first child before having your second? Thank you!

We waited until ours were 2 1/2 to try to get pregnant again and I think that’s the perfect age gap for us. The twins will be 3 when baby gets here. :blush:

It really depends on how close in age you want your kids to be. They do say it’s best to give your body at least 18 months of rest and replenish nutrients and stuff but I know moms whose kids are only a year apart and it turned out fine for them. I guess it’s a personal decision really.

1 Like

thank you for your help! :blush:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] doctor told us to wait 6 months since there were no complications. [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest was 9 months old when I got pregnant, 18 months old when baby was born.

1 Like

We waited until our 1st was a year old before we started trying, and it only took a few months, so our 1st and 2nd are 2 years apart almost to the day. [name_f]My[/name_f] 2nd and my youngest are 3.5 years apart.

There are pros and cons to waiting.

I think the smaller the age gap, the more in-the-swing-of-things you are. Like you haven’t packed away the bottles and binkies and you’re used to picking up diapers at the store. You also remember the tips and tricks you learned because you just barely learned them.

From what I’ve noticed, with a larger age gap, the older sibling can better understand having a new baby in the family. And (in theory), the bigger the gap, the more years of sleeping through the night you get between babies.

I’m sure there are many, many more pros and cons for each.

1 Like

I think there is already a thread on this topic.

We spaced ours to be 3yrs apart.

A couple of angles to look at this from:

1. The medical recommended minimum for healthiest outcome for mom, pregnancy, and baby is 12mo if the first was a vaginal delivery and 18mo if the first was a csection. The body needs more time than is outwardly obvious to heal, recover, and replenish nutrients for the healthiest pregnancy experience and most well-nourished baby possible.

2. Not having 2 in diapers at the same time is something a lot of folks enjoy. That roughly translates to the births being about 3 yrs apart.

3. Opportunity to learn from parenting the first… And enjoy thinhs being easier for a little while.

2 Likes

We got pregnant when our first was 13 months and she’ll be almost 2 when baby comes. (though for what it’s worth I think then general guideline is to wait 18 months before getting pregnant a second time around, however lots of healthy babies and pregnancies happen before 18 months :woman_shrugging:)

1 Like

Our DD and baby #2 will be just shy of 4 years apart - 3 years and 10 months apart to be exact.

We were targeting closer to the 3 year age gap but didn’t feel ready to expand our family until Fall 2020. Some of the bonuses of waiting though is the increased independence our daughter has and will have by the time baby #2 is born. Plus, our daughter started expressing interest in siblings a few months ago - and once even told us she wanted a brother and sister. We haven’t told her we’re expecting yet (I’m only about 5 weeks along) but I think she’s going to be really excited to be a big sister and be a big helper too.

2 Likes

Our three will all be 3.5 years apart. I wanted to only have one in diapers at a time. When this baby comes, I’ll have my youngest in preschool and oldest in 2nd grade.

2 Likes

I have 14, 12, 5 and 6 weeks. I thought having a small age gap would mean my kids were close but it’s not the case. The five to six year gap is great because they can entertain themselves a bit and sort of understand Mummy is busy with the baby and if you are distracted for thirty seconds they aren’t in a dangerous situation or causing total chaos

1 Like

There is a 2 year 9 month age gap between my boys. And we are TTC our third this month :partying_face::blush:

1 Like

We tried for our second when our first was 16 months. Took a few months to conceive so first will be about 2 yrs 5 months when second is born.

There were a few things influencing our decision, such as our ages (mid-late 30’s) and the realisation for me that I wasn’t happy working full time with young kids, and that if I was going to work part time or be at home then might as well get the rest of the family out the way at the same time.

Couldn’t have gone for a much smaller gap though - extended breastfeeding kept my cycle away for a long time, and I’d found the newborn and young baby stage to be a big adjustment ans wasn’t ready for more. Had also been told to wait at least a year after birth to TTC again to allow body time to recover, esp with 3rd degree tear and first babe having iugr.

Our first is also a super-easy toddler (so far!) which has helped. Not loads of tantrums, and she has good language skills to help us solve most. Also weirdly never went through the baby stage of putting things in her mouth, and isn’t a runner or particularly physical/agile. We haven’t baby proofed much at all, she could open cupboards and drink bleach but has zero interest (so far…) in doing so. I think with a more full-on toddler I wouldn’t be so willing to add a second to the mix!

1 Like

We waited a little under 3 years before trying for our second. Really, we wanted their age gap to be right at 3 years if possible. We had some traumatic circumstances surrounding our first daughter’s birth and just didn’t feel comfortable or ready before then, plus we wanted our first out of diapers before we started with another in diapers. We also were hoping to have my husband home on summer break when the second baby was born, so the summer break won out over the age gap as far as timing on TTC went. We got lucky and it didn’t take long, so our kiddos will be right at 3.5 years apart.

2 Likes

Between my first and my second there is a 16 month age gap. I had my eldest daughter [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] when I was 24 and my eldest son [name_m]Ferris[/name_m] when I was 26. [name_f]My[/name_f] eldest son was a happy accident and DH and I were not planning to start TTC for our second until [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] was at least 3 but I fell pregnant when she was 7 months old.

1 Like