Baby #2 Shortlist

See the results of this poll: Which one(s)?

Respondents: 85 (This poll is closed)

• Claire : 22 (17%)
  • Olivia : 20 (16%)
  • Liv : 19 (15%)
  • Emma : 10 (8%)
  • Mallory : 10 (8%)
  • Daphne: 45 (36%)

What a beautiful choice for your oldest daughter!

I voted for [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f], which fit the no nickname criteria and sound great with both your oldest’s name and the last name.

I think [name_f]Liv[/name_f] is a natural nickname for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], which made me hesitant to choose it, based off what you requested (but [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] sound like sisters to me). I wouldn’t use [name_f]Liv[/name_f] itself with your last name because of the wordiness.

[name_f]Emma[/name_f] is fine, but I’ve heard enough of it and find [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] a bit more flavorful/unique so wanted something that matched it better.

As for [name_f]Mallory[/name_f] it just seemed too long and definitely has nickname potential ([name_u]Mal[/name_u], marshmallow, mallowmar) so I didn’t chose it for you. On a personal level, I speak Spanish and associate “mal” with bad, so that’s off putting to me.

1 Like

I would personally rule out [name_f]Mallory[/name_f] and replace it with [name_f]Malia[/name_f]. I think it fits your style better. I’d also remove [name_f]Liv[/name_f] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f] cause they don’t have nicknames.

I voted [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]. Sounds great with your surname and goes really well with your daughter’s name! Also no issues with cutesy nicknames.

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Liv[/name_f] and think [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] works really well! Plus, it really complements your daughter’s name. I’m not a massive fan of the others, either because of over popularity or, in the case of [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] and [name_f]Mallory[/name_f], just personal taste. [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] are nice names but I’d prefer them if they were [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] - they’d be great options! [name_f]Mallory[/name_f] feels ill-fitted with [name_f]Tess[/name_f] to me; I get a Babysitters’ Club vibe from it, not that there’s anything wrong with that, but [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]/[name_f]Tess[/name_f] is just so simple and sophisticated and pared back. [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] and [name_f]Juno[/name_f] also came to mind as options for you.

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Mallory[/name_f] or [name_f]Liv[/name_f] for sure-- didn’t vote cause I like them all. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] are so popular–she’ll be the fourth in her class unfortunately. They’re pretty but I think she should have a little more unique name like [name_f]Tessa[/name_f].

[name_f]Claire[/name_f] and [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] are serving me right now. [name_u]Love[/name_u] them both, great with [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], classic but not boring, no easy nicknames, both sound great with the last name. Both are feminine, girly, but not cutesy or whiny names.

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] are both 1) beautiful, and 2) boring. Plus both would end up with nicknames due to their popularity, or end up as [name_f]Emma[/name_f] G. or [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] 2 at school. [name_f]Nix[/name_f] them now.

[name_f]Liv[/name_f] is great, fantastic, I love it, but it sounds v v short with the surname. I think it’s a light name that really gains more energy when paired with a longer, weirder surname, but Graaaay kind of just brings it down. Feels a bit dusty somehow.

[name_f]Mallory[/name_f]. No. You said be mean so I’ll go ahead and be mean: it sucks. I like a handful of names with kind of unfortunate and/or mysterious origins ([name_f]Claudia[/name_f], for one, is great), but this one basically means “suckiness.” I can understand and forgive a lot when it comes to murky etymology but I can’t get over “Hey my name is WHOOPS BAD [name_m]LUCK[/name_m].” Also it will inevitably be shortened to [name_u]Mal[/name_u].

P.S. If you read any of these responses and you’re like HEY SHUT UP [name_f]Mallory[/name_f]/[name_f]Emma[/name_f]/etc is FRIGGIN GORGEOUS and I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] IT [name_m]HOW[/name_m] DARE YOU then you probably should keep it on the list and get rid of some of the others. Pay attention to your gut reaction!

1 Like

[name_m]Even[/name_m] though I like [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] the only one I’ve known was always called Daph - is that unavoidable? So, I ruled that out. I also like [name_f]Liv[/name_f] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f] but not so keen with one syllable surname. I don’t mind [name_f]Mallory[/name_f] but it feels dated to the 80s and always the tv show for me. So I voted for both [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f], both lovely and good with the surname and with sister’s name.

I voted for [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and [name_f]Liv[/name_f]. I actually think [name_f]Liv[/name_f] works well with the surname, unlike pp. It’s definitely my favorite option. [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is a bit choppy, but I love it on its own and it’s a great match for [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] ([name_f]Tess[/name_f]).

Vetoed [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] because they are so ubiquitous. Also many of the young Emmas I know are Emmys which is definitely cutesy. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] doesn’t play well with the surname, either.

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] works well, I suppose, but it’s not to my taste at all. I find it to be a bit frilly and it always reminds me of Scooby Doo.

[name_f]Mallory[/name_f] is a hard one. I know it’s a little dated and does have a super unfortunate meaning, but I love the sound. And since it was never mega-popular, I don’t even find it that dated. [name_u]Mal[/name_u] is an inevitable nickname, but it’s not cutesy and [name_f]Tess[/name_f] and [name_u]Mal[/name_u] seem like really cool sisters. This would be my third choice.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I love [name_f]Tess[/name_f]! You did a great job there.

Here are my thoughts on the list for #2:

[name_f]Claire[/name_f]-I like this a lot w/[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]. It has a similar polished feel. It’s feminine, but not overly fussy feminine. It’s a bit popular, but not too bad. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it’s one syllable, I don’t think that it sounds horrible w/your last name. It’s fairly sophisticated sounding actually.

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]-This is a beautiful name, but it’s so so over done. It’s kind of lost its sparkle for me.

[name_f]Liv[/name_f]-This just seems too nick-namey on its own. And it’s sort of a sentence with your last name. I love [name_f]Olive[/name_f] nn [name_f]Livy[/name_f] (but [name_f]Liv[/name_f] is okay too. I just don’t personally care for it.). Is [name_f]Olive[/name_f], a word name, okay w/a color ln? Maybe…do you like [name_f]Olive[/name_f]?

[name_f]Emma[/name_f]-See [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. And I really dislike [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] myself. It sounds a bit bratty. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I know a sweet girl name [name_f]Emi[/name_f]. They’re not all brats! I just don’t care for it.

[name_f]Mallory[/name_f]-I really like this w/[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]. It’s unexpected, & has a friendly & kind feeling to it.

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]-This got my vote. It’s different yet recognizable, sweet & spunky, great w/[name_f]Tess[/name_f] & your ln.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

Here are my thoughts on your list:

[name_f]Claire[/name_f] ~ pretty, but super common and not truly Greek/classical

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] & [name_f]Emma[/name_f] ~ Both are lovely…and super popular. (Although, they do sound nice with [name_f]Tessa[/name_f].)

[name_f]Liv[/name_f] ~ cute, but a little short/choppy w/ the last name imo

[name_f]Mallory[/name_f] ~ not really a classic, a little too '90s for me

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] ~ Perfect. It sounds great with [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], unexpected yet familiar, and fits into that Greek/classical vibe. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it! [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] would make such a spunky pair of sister names. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is my favourite in your list another favourite is in your signature which is [name_f]Thea[/name_f]. I also love [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] for you.

Thank you so much!!
This was so insightful.

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is a winner! Sounds great with your surname, and with big sister’s name.

It was between [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f] for me. I voted [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] because of the added bonus of being able to shorten to [name_f]Liv[/name_f], and either way, [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] or [name_f]Liv[/name_f] and [name_f]Tess[/name_f] sound like perfectly named sisters to me.

I really love the name [name_f]Mallory[/name_f]!

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Liv[/name_f]!

I voted [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] because you could call her ‘[name_f]Liv[/name_f]’, similarly to how you have [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Tess[/name_f]’.