Baby #4 is tough to name!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] folks. We are having a boy and would love some opinions on his name.

Our last name is [name_m]Patrick[/name_m].
Which do you like best:

[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
[name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]

Also, I have a question about [name_u]August[/name_u]. I HATE the nickname Auggie. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think I am being unrealistic to think we can avoid people calling him that?

i liek miles and asher and for augus wat about gus? gusty?

They are all great names. I love [name_m]Asher[/name_m], although it’s spiked in popularity and may seem dated in a couple decades. I think [name_m]Miles[/name_m] is probably my favorite of the four.
I think the most natural nickname for [name_u]August[/name_u] is [name_u]Gus[/name_u], not Auggie.

[name_m]Miles[/name_m] and [name_u]Asa[/name_u] are definitely my favorites

[name_m]Miles[/name_m] is my favorite!

I’ve never heard of the nickname Auggie.

We live in a city with primarily Hispanic families, so the nickname Auggie is common (I guess short for Augustos or [name_m]Augustine[/name_m]). I like [name_u]Gus[/name_u], so if we choose [name_u]August[/name_u] I would definitely try to push for [name_u]Gus[/name_u] over Auggie.

[name_u]Asa[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u] are my favorites. I slightly prefer [name_u]Asa[/name_u] because both [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] have that hard “t” sound… but that’s a very minor thing.

Maybe I should have mentioned our other kids’ names, although I don’t care a ton about sibling sets because most people don’t know all of someone’s siblings. We have [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_m]Silas[/name_m] (almost always called [name_m]Sy[/name_m]).

[name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m].

I like [name_u]Asa[/name_u] and I think it goes really well with your other kids names.

I love [name_u]Asa[/name_u], [name_m]Asher[/name_m], and [name_u]August[/name_u]. I’ve loved [name_u]Asa[/name_u] ever since I heard it on a little boy this past summer at the beach. As far as nicknames go for [name_u]August[/name_u], I think [name_u]Gus[/name_u] would be more intuitive.

Also, a little tidbit of information -

I was listening to a Freakonomics podcast a couple of months ago and they had this study that kids whose names begin with A’s tend to actually get more A’s in school. So that’s always nice, I guess. I’m sure it’s not by a ton, but hey, anything helps, right?

[name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Miles[/name_m] are nice. I always think [name_u]Asa[/name_u] has too much of a feminine sound for a boy. I agree with Bailibsmum - you could establish ‘[name_u]Gus[/name_u]’ as a nickname - sounds really cute for a little boy. Personally, I really doubt people will call him Auggie because it’s no less syllables than [name_u]August[/name_u] and also sounds intuitively more like a nickname for a girl.

I love [name_u]Asa[/name_u]–not too common! I don’t think it would be unreasonable to be able to avoid Auggie for [name_u]August[/name_u]. We have a [name_m]Gilead[/name_m], and were afraid people would try to call him “[name_m]Gil[/name_m].” He’s nearly four, and only one person has ever tried. By now, when people do mispronounce or try to nickname him, he corrects them himself! So, if you really love [name_u]August[/name_u], I’d say to go for it!

My favorite is [name_m]Miles[/name_m] followed by [name_m]Asher[/name_m]. I dislike [name_u]Asa[/name_u]. I think Auggie is avoidable. [name_u]August[/name_u] nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is fine, but look for this name to shoot up (The Fault in Our Stars?)

I prefer [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
or
[name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m].
Although I love the name [name_u]August[/name_u], I think it is a mouthful with [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]. Try saying each name aloud several times!