Baby Bao Bucket's Name of the Week

I absolutely LOVE [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]! It has been on my mind too for the last couple days so maybe I tapped into your wavelength haha? I do agree with @QuirkFlower that your description feels more… scripted? than usual? I still love the personal meaning behind the combo.

I put this one about even with [name_f]Petra[/name_f] in second place since I gave [name_f]Twila[/name_f] the nod in your poll!

2 Likes

A couple things I failed to mention before:
I love that [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] is a (one of the few) constellation(s) I can actually recognize, and that it is visible all year round where I live. I actually spent a good while staring at her the other night trying to contemplate the name.

I LOOOOVE the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation Cassiopée, which is what I would call her to her face 50% of the time. It is a truly stunning, show-stopping name in [name_u]French[/name_u]… one of my absolute favorites.

I like the [name_f]Sara[/name_f] Bareilles song but that’s just a minor bonus.

I think I agree with those of you who suspect that I’m just ultimately not that insanely passionate about this name anymore. It is easily the oldest combo on my top list – by a few years… – and I think while that says a lot as she has stood the test of time until now, she has lost some of her shine for me. She has the possibility of making a comeback, but I mostly see how good she is on paper, in theory, and using head over heart.

I think I had already mostly fallen out of love with her by the time AR came along. Then I said to myself, “Who would have ever thought I’d be so well set up to use an outlandish 5-syllable favorite for my finale? I chose to bet on a complete wildcard and yet I wind up with this gold? How amazing is it that I have been gifted this stellar sibset for the taking?” I do genuinely feel some sense of obligation to use it because it does fit so perfectly in theory and because I would be brave enough to use it when it really is such an underused name that should get more attention. [name_f]My[/name_f] obliger tendency rearing.

I would clearly need to fall back in love head-over-heels (or upside-down-throne… trying to make a [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] pun and I don’t think it worked…) in order to use this combo in real life. Right now I’m just not there, even though I’d like to be. It sucks that that isn’t how love works…

6 Likes

I have to agree that Cassiopée sounds lovely.
She definitely could be “perfect” with the sibset if you did fall back in love with her. If not, I’m sure one of the other names will fully win you over soon. :blush:

3 Likes

Cassiopée is such a gorgeous name. Would you consider using Cassiopée as the legal name? Would it be any more exciting and sparkly than [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]? It sounds like you’re not in love with this name and I would definitely cross it off if it’s lost its shine.

I love [name_u]Jule[/name_u], it seems especially meaningful to you and goes perfectly with the long first name.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] for you, though she may not be the one in the end. Peia is a a very viable nickname, like the singer :slight_smile:

https://peiasong.com/

1 Like

I do so hope so.

I think that in the context of a world where accents aren’t always an option, Cassiopee is unfortunate. Cassiopée would definitely feel much more exciting and sparkly otherwise.

@elleplume, I had never heard of that singer but I agree Peia might work well!

I think I’m back to considering Cassiopée and [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] as middle name options but none are on my top list we are going through here. [name_f]Petra[/name_f] Cassiopée and [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] Cassiopée [name_u]Hero[/name_u] come to mind.

2 Likes

Cassiopeia [name_u]Jule[/name_u]

0 voters

Twila [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]

0 voters

Petra [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u]

0 voters

Rosmerta [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]

0 voters

1 Like

Week 5
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u]

[details=“[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]”]

[/details]

[details=“[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]”]
Here, [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] continues and furthers the symbolic connections of [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] to the cornucopia. The cornucopia symbolizes plenty, abundance, and harvest. Nourishment of the soul and body, and a time of want for nothing after a job well done.

While [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] doesn’t exactly describe a time or event, the connection to harvest is enough to make me feel the connection to “happy time” and “resurrection” of her brother’s name. Her name signifies a time of overwhelming abundance when my childbearing years come to an intentional close and we can see the fruits of our labors and the labors of others and celebrate in this abundant family. The third and final infant added to our family does feel very “copious,” and when we have been already been entrusted with the care of two amazing children, adding the third, the one I have always longed for, but ultimately the least “necessary,” is an opportunity to reflect on how grateful we are for all that we have been provided. She will really be such a gift to our family, whether we name her as such or not.

[name_f]My[/name_f] partner has always been a fan of [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], moreso than myself. I’d be happy to include a name he loves more than I so that I can balance out [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f], which I love far more than he.

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is itself a family name, though many many generations up on the same line as [name_m]Horatio[/name_m] (one I don’t feel a need to honor again). There were several Cornelias in a row in my line of [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] immigrant (to the US) ancestors in the 1600s. Ultimately, though, it’s not really an honor. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a nice bonus connection.
[/details]

[details=“[name_u]Hero[/name_u]”]
Much [name_f]Ado[/name_f] About Nothing’s [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is a bit of a bore as far as Shakespearean characters are concerned, but what a name. I’m glad for the Shakespearean connection at least, considering H0rat1o’s name. The mythology is also a little lackluster but adds dimension to the name.
I love that it adds another -o ending without sounding redundant, and I do love a good -o ending on a girl to begin with. [name_u]Hero[/name_u] also doesn’t add the weightedness of a second middle that a longer H name might. Short and sweet and more in line with F3l1x and R@z. I’m afraid (the more time goes by the more clarity I get in this regard) that a [name_f]Helen[/name_f] variant may not be on the table for this child. [name_f]Helen[/name_f] was always to appease me and for the honor but this time I think my husband is really looking for the perfect name that will also be completely distinct from what we chose as our girl option last time around. But [name_f]Helen[/name_f] would have been the other option with this pair. I think [name_u]Hero[/name_u] certainly sounds fresher, but still hits on many of the same notes that [name_f]Helen[/name_f] does and could be an honor for her, ultimately ([name_u]Roche[/name_u] is her family line).
[/details]

[details=“[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u]”]
This is one of my [name_f]Ro[/name_f].C.He combos, where the important surname [name_u]Roche[/name_u] from my matrilineal mitochondrial line is cached within the name in a way that feels meaningful to me.

I love that all three names have ro/or without sounding ridiculous because each derivation is unique in sound, but the combo feels tightly wrapped (brown paper packages tied up with string…) thanks to this subtlety. I think that sometimes these days the TAM M name or the RoCHe He name can sometimes feel tacked on, but I really like that the similarities and differences between these three names help to really add depth and interest and I think [name_u]Hero[/name_u] adds something more than the sum of her four letters here. She completes the picture of “demi-goddess of great plenty” or “hero of abundant nourishment.” She will be a provider for our family in the very nature of her birth and I hope will add to our experience every day she is with us, in ways big and small, and continue to spread that provident plenty to the world as well.
[/details]

So, WDYT?

7 Likes

I’m really gravitating towards your double middle combos, and [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is no exception - I prefer it over [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], as lovely as that combo is as well!

Petra [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is still my favourite from your list so far, but [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u] has to be my second favourite. The flow is lovely, and I adore [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] and [name_u]Hero[/name_u] as individual names as well as together as middles.

As a combo, [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u] has a sophisticated lady knight/honourable shield maiden type of vibe to me.

2 Likes

I love all three names in this combo individually and together.
I feel like the name definitely fits the qualities you described for “Metal/Gold [name_m]Ox[/name_m]”.
If your husband is ok with [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] as a first since he would get [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] as a middle, I think it’s a beautiful option.
One thing about [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] is that I can see people calling her “[name_f]Rose[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]” a lot so you may have to be ok with that unless you preemptively give her another nickname. I love [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] but I don’t know how you feel about it.
This name seems perfect for an [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] baby but if you conceive right away and have a summer baby it would be just as beautiful. :blush:

2 Likes

Oh whoa! This is the first time I’m noticing [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] has a name profile page!! Is this new? @katinka @moonstone, was she just added? Was this my influence?? I had noticed years ago she was on the “names we missed” page (2015, @dragon_flame) but this has to be new…

1 Like

[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] was added a year or two ago, but we only recently fixed the name links so that they work on more recently added names too. Before that only names that had been in the database for years linked automatically.

2 Likes

This is awesome.

I too have been thinking about this. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] seem like one of those “I love them on other people’s children but not mine” names… I have thought about [name_u]Romy[/name_u], which I do like. Not sure what to pair with T1o and T@z, but with R0ry and S@sha, [name_u]Remy[/name_u] would continue the pattern of once-boy-now-unisex nickname names… even though I much prefer [name_u]Remy[/name_u] on a boy (all 3 at that… but the first two are boys).

Yes, [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] baby and a Metal [name_m]Ox[/name_m] at that!

2 Likes

Yes! I thought about [name_u]Romy[/name_u] too. It’s so cute. :blush: I do like [name_u]Remy[/name_u] too. I also prefer it on a boy but with your boys’ nns I think it works. I think [name_u]Romy[/name_u] might be more intuitive but both work well.

1 Like

I love the [name_f]Ro[/name_f].C.He!

I really like [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] for you but I’ve never been too fond of [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], and I think (if you’re pronouncing it the way I am) the “eel” in [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] clashes with the “eer” in [name_u]Hero[/name_u]. It feels somewhat nasal and very different from heady and grounded [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]. If you’re pronouncing [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] more like cor-nell-ee-a then this concern goes away.

Have you considered [name_f]Callisto[/name_f]? It reminds me of [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] in that it’s a Greek mythology name tied to a well-known constellation. It doesn’t have the “or” like [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], but it has a prominent “o” sound (and it’s the “o” ending you love for [name_u]Hero[/name_u]). And the bear association is somewhat (?) close to the baby’s ox zodiac - different animal :grin: but still earthy, strong, and self-assured. I think middle names [name_f]Callisto[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] would be perfect if [name_f]Helen[/name_f] wasn’t so tied to your girl option for H0rat10. Based on your description of the metal ox, I’m not sure there’s a more fitting name than [name_f]Helen[/name_f].

I’m missing [name_u]Jule[/name_u] in this combo! I love the name, and the meaning behind it.

Hmm, I like [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] but for me, she lacks the sparkle and magic of your other choices.

Yes, though I’ve always been a bigger fan of [name_m]Calixto[/name_m]… you may get to see that one in a later RoCHe combo… she is currently hanging out in my tops with a different meaningful H.

Agreed. But I’m trying to work on him to love Héloïse, which definitely feels metal ox to me.

Thank you! Not sure if you noticed you got behind by a week. I’d love your signature succinct opinion on [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u] if you have a minute and care to give it.

[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is dreamy. It should be clunky but it’s actually sleek and beautiful. I really like this one!

1 Like

[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]

[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] is a great name! I didn’t know [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] was a goddess. She seems very cool. I actually assumed [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] was related to [name_f]Rose[/name_f] names.
I like how [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] sounds. It’s the kind of name that you don’t just casually mention. It has a ‘wow’-factor that graps your attention. It’s a pity that your husband doesn’t love [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] as much.

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is also really beautiful. The flowers are one of my favourites because they are so sunshiny. I understand why for you [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] might feel pale in comparison to some of your bolder choices. However, to me [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] also feels bold and unique.

I love the subtle TAM in [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] form a lovely pair together.

[name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u]

[name_f]Petra[/name_f] is a wonderful name. This name always reminds me of Herodotus’ text about Eetion, because in the following fragment Eetion is refered to as ‘[name_u]Eagle[/name_u] in petra’/‘eagle in the rocks’

“αἰετὸς ἐν πέτρῃσι κύει, τέξει δὲ λέοντα καρτερὸν ὠμηστήν: πολλῶν δ᾽ ὑπὸ γούνατα λύσει. ταῦτά νυν εὖ φράζεσθε, Κορίνθιοι, οἳ περὶ καλήν Πειρήνην οἰκεῖτε καὶ ὀφρυόεντα Κόρινθον. ”

“An eagle in the rocks has conceived, and will bring forth a lion, [name_u]Strong[/name_u] and fierce. The knees of many will it loose. This consider well, Corinthians, You who dwell by lovely Pirene and the overhanging heights of Corinth. ”

In my opinion the meaning of [name_f]Petra[/name_f], ‘rock’, also fits nicely with the meanings of A and H’s names, ‘resurrection’ and ‘time’. A rock symbolises a certain constancy, it takes many, many years for a rock to erode.

[name_f]Antigone[/name_f] sounds very melodious. The meaning ‘worthy of one’s ancestors’ is splendid.

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] ‘[name_u]Jule[/name_u]’ appears to be an incredible woman. I totally understand why you want to honor her. It would be amazing if your daughter could bear [name_u]Jule[/name_u]'s name.

The whole combination [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is absolutely wonderful. It feels like a weighty name, relatively uncommon names, mythology reference, honor name, in a very good way; I think it’s a very meaningful name but not too heavy to wear. I also enjoy saying [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u]. The name has a nice rhythm.

4 Likes

Twila [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Twila[/name_f]. [name_f]Twyla[/name_f] Tharp is a wonderful association. I didn’t really know her so I just watched some of her choreographies. It looks stunning. The name [name_f]Twila[/name_f] sounds twinkling to me. It’s such a wonderful name, the kind of name that just makes you smile.

Minerva is a name I personally also really like! Because it’s a longtime favorite for both of you it would be great if you could use it. Being a goddess of wisodm, [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] has always inspired me.

I love that these name together are a TAM combination. Letting the initials spell TAM is a subtle but apparent way to honor the [name_m]Tam[/name_m] side of the family, while using your favorite names. I also like the ‘double-woven’ meaning of [name_f]Twila[/name_f] with [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. I always enjoy pairs of names that complement each other. I think [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] fits nicely with [name_f]Twila[/name_f] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] as well.

2 Likes