Baby Bao Bucket's Name of the Week

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I literally cannot pick a favourite! All of your options ares exquisite!

1 Like

Olympias is PERFECT. [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is a close second but Olympias has been my favorite for you ever since I saw it on your list. And [name_f]Olympe[/name_f] de Gouges + [name_f]Queen[/name_f] Olympias?! I’d be a little intimidated to meet someone with this name (and that is the highest praise in my book).

I love the cult of [name_m]Dionysus[/name_m] connection which reminds me of this piece: “Bacchanale” by [name_m]Saint[/name_m]-Saëns.

and congratulations!! :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball:

2 Likes

Congrats!!! That’s wonderful news!

Olympias [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is fabulous, definitely one of my favorites of yours. I love how [name_f]Petra[/name_f] and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] really bring more grounded sounds to the whimsical Olympias. It’s a very powerful-sounding combo as a whole.

1 Like

Oh my gosh, congratulations! :heart:

I prefer the flow of [name_f]Petra[/name_f] Olympias [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] because it feels more natural to me, it eliminates the double P sound, and I prefer [name_f]Petra[/name_f] as a first name. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] combo! :blush:

2 Likes

OMG CONGRATULATIONS! I am so so so excited for you!

(And now it’s going to be infinitely more exciting to hear what you’re considering!)

Will you create another thread like this one if you’re expecting a boy? It’s been so fun to parse through your thoughts on so many combos.

1 Like

The intense energy of your post is far beyond anything I’ve seen from you before. It’s understandably buoyed by your terrific news. [name_m]Even[/name_m] so, it’s telling where your feelings are at. This week, it could only be Olympias. It makes me feel like if she is a girl, she could be nothing else. I smile to think that if all things come together, the instinct you felt this week will add yet another layer to her name story, like the last shimmering layer of glaze on a cake.

I feel ambivalent about this particular combination of names as a whole. I love aspects of it; the tie-ins of the ‘p’ and ‘m’ sounds, the crisp ‘t’ and its link to H and A, the vowel cohesion across [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], the connection to [name_m]Olympus[/name_m], the honour to the [name_u]Roche[/name_u] family line and Irish heritage, and the inclusion of your partner’s favourite name.

There are also aspects I don’t and most of them relate to [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. The flat shape, the flat sound and the overexposure its had on this site leaves the name–and the combination–feeling a bit underwhelming. An Irish spelling like Maébh addresses some of this for me and enhances the link to your heritage but I also feel having a [name_f]Queen[/name_f] Olympias and a [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is somewhat redundant. The flow from four syllables to two then one seems to contribute to this anticlimax I feel.

[name_f]Petra[/name_f] Olympias [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] vastly improves the dynamics and flow, but that alone wouldn’t be reason enough to not use Olympias upfront. I think a three or four syllable name follows Olympias best, such as [name_f]Helena[/name_f] Maébh or [name_f]Titania[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] but I digress. This is a mighty strong contender for you. Sometimes the combination elevates the name, sometimes the names elevate the combination. Here, it may be both.

2 Likes

Gosh I really have a soft spot for [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f]. I like [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] the best. Great rhythm and a balanced name.

2 Likes

I adore this one for you!!! :smiley: Olympias [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is beautiful! :hearts:

Congratulations!!! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Like @Luminen and @lateaugust, I was 100% for [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u]. I still am, but your excitement for Olympias [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] makes it absolutely shine. It screams you–your values, your aspirations for you kids–and that’s definitely worth considering.

Outside of your influence, the combo ranks a bit lower for me personally. But I think one of the beautiful things about naming is how the meaning one person sees in a name can change the way another sees it too. This also helps ground a name others might initially think is crazy.

2 Likes

I LOVE Olympias [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] for you! While I personally prefer the flow of [name_f]Petra[/name_f] Olympias [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] slightly, Olympias just seems like the perfect first name for this baby. She would have all the grandeur of her brothers’ names while still feeling unique. I am rooting for this one!

1 Like

Round 1:

She is definitely top of the list for feeling so destined to be.

Ooh, absolutely agree here.

Ooh, please do keep commenting if this is what we get!!

@TeaJay, “[name_f]Plum[/name_f]” and “[name_m]Pom[/name_m]” were those I’ve discussed as nicknames. I’m sure there are more options but I particularly like those. That is just for other people when they ask, however. Her brothers go by their full names with nearly everyone. I can understand the 4-2-1-1 syllables as rather forward heavy, and that Olympias has a lot of presence making her even more lopsided. That was the case with the name we had chosen for HF had he been a girl, however. I’m glad to have you point it out, though I’m not sure it alone will be enough to dissuade.

Yes, I am much more passionate out the gate for Olympias, although the morning I tested and got my positive was thunderous. I was awakened by the storm in the early morning hours and decided I couldn’t wait to test but it was a sky littered with lightning flash under which I got my good news… the first cold-weather storm here as the weeks before there had been nothing but light rain. The storm continued all day. If she is born Midsummer as she is likely to, she will be right in the peak of our summer storm season. If she asserts herself again as she did last week by coming during a storm, I may not feel I have much choice but to go with [name_u]Tempest[/name_u]. We shall see. [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] and Olympias definitely don’t feel they go together though. They share too many sounds.

I love your descriptions you’ve shared here! Thank you!!

5 Likes

Round 2:

:slightly_smiling_face: :snake: :snake:

I love Bacchanale and agree it has a certain flare to it that complements Olympias.

I’m considering it. I likely will, despite having a clear frontrunner combo in mind and having a much easier time with boy combos in general.

I absolutely get this. Outside my own influence (the confluence of thoughts about the timing and everything) it ranks a bit lower as well, lol. The force seems partially outside myself, which also feels freeing in a way because it feels so right.

I agree these firsts go particularly well together.

:cake:

I agree that [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]'s overexposure here is a major drawback and one of the reasons [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is not among my very favorites, but my husband’s. I take comfort in the fact that her ranking is nearly exactly parallel to that of F3lix in recent years. That said, my one reservation about H’s name that lasts to this day has been about F’s popularity, so even this is isn’t enough to alleviate the worry.

Olympias [name_f]Titania[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is on our long list! Olympias [name_f]Helena[/name_f] Maébh is gorgeous. I’ll have to see whether my partner would consider the Irish spelling (he has vetoed Irish names in the past, which is why they’ve never really made our shortlists before). He also may consider [name_f]Mab[/name_f] despite the proximity to his mother’s name (M@bel). However, this [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] discussion also prompts me to think back to his positive approval of the name Líadan, which I felt very strongly pulled to once upon a time. I think that might work really well with Olympias, do you? Olympias [name_f]Petra[/name_f] Líadan is certainly something to think on. I’m feeling positively inspired at this moment.

6 Likes

Week 10:

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]

Octavia

As I mentioned last week in passing, [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] has remained on our list based on the connection to the octaeteris. As this isn’t a facet I have explored for [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] in the past, I’d like to hear others’ impressions of the name.

The olympiad link is stronger, but I do like the idea of the octaeteris. It feels more flexible to me in terms of date if this baby winds up making a premature debut. The start of 2021 marks 8 years since I met my now-husband, so whenever it happens in 2021, [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] feels more apt than perhaps an Olympias born earlier in the year (even though the conception still lines up at 49 lunar months). I also love that the octaeteris lines up with a Venusian cycle, as that association connotes love and passion to me alongside the “written in the stars” message.

One distinct benefit to [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] is the numerology for the number 8 in Chinese culture. 4, by contrast, is associated with death, which has to be the worst thing going for Olympias (not enough to put me off the name). The luckiest number in Chinese history, 8 represents “fa” (發) or good fortune and prosperity. And the numeral 8 is also reminiscent and associated with “joy” (喜), the character used for ‘double hapiness,’ (囍), another tie to the “happy time” of HF’s name.

I love [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_u]Spencer[/name_u]'s work. She is fabulous. I like that the name is Shakespearean, however lukewarm the connection as a minor character in a history.

I like the nickname “[name_f]Vita[/name_f]” for [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], which is spunky and spiky and full of personality, and has such a great meaning (“life”).

I obviously love the O and the -ia, but I also love the internal hard c with our K surname. I always thought we would have a kid with this sound but none of the hard C/K names have survived this far. This is something [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] has going for her that Olympias does not.

I love the T being the only letter to rise above the midline, a commonality she shares with both brothers, along with her vowels. I think they look absolutely gorgeous written side-by-side.

The major downside is the popularity, particularly this latest surge. Gorsh darn you, [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], for trapping [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] in your upward trend trap.

Genevieve

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] was the full name of “[name_u]Jule[/name_u],” so this would be the full honor for her. I pronounce it the [name_u]French[/name_u] way, but I’ve recently decided both are lovely.

I love the look of [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. She is so strong and distinctive, yet soft and friendly.

Octavia Genevieve

I love the “kinship” association of [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. Tribe woman is a lovely meaning and I pull on that more in other combos, but here, the ‘eight years of kinship’ that my husband and I have created stands out here. We are one another’s people, and we create our own tribe, of which she will play a crucial part.

I love the V triplicate. V is such a fabulous letter.

That they are both top 500 names is certainly unexpected out of me. But my other two children’s names help temper that a bit. They are popular for good reasons, after all.

Olympias is a really hard act to follow this week (my own enthusiasm in posting has been tempered by the arrival of nausea today at 5 weeks), but I think [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] is a solid contender worthy of our consideration. I’d love to hear your thoughts about whether she can still hold a candle to Olympias. Wdyt?

3 Likes

This might be my favorite option! [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is stunning! I like all the connections that the names have for you. I prefer the sound of [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] to Olympias, but the history of Olympias slightly overshadows [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]. I think that H0rati0, An@stsi0 and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] sounds like a really classy sibset :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll respond again later but could you please edit in some symbols or some such magic to the sibset names for privacy? Sorry for the bother… they do look soooo handsome next to one another!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Fixed it :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you so much. I appreciate it!

1 Like

Hello! I’ve been following your posts for a while now, but I don’t think I’ve ever commented. I think [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is stunning and I especially appreciate the use of the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation! I find it so charming and with a subtle power that’s unexpected. I think this name also feels like it fits better in your sibset and would be my personal pick, but you seemed so much more excited about Olympias and so she has a sense of being the paramount (haha!). Olympias has a much more striking and bouncy vibe to it throughout the middles as well, though [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] softens her at the end. “Oct” gives [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] her strength, but overall seems more gentle. All in all, I adore both names, but Olympias feels more yours.

2 Likes

It’s a beautiful name! [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] is absolutely an underused O name and I love the namesakes. It’s not my favorite though? [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t get me wrong, it’s a lovely combination and I would be thrilled to meet a little [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]. But it doesn’t give me [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Bucket/Bao vibes like Olympias [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] or [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u], if that makes sense.

4 Likes

I love your little [name_u]Bao[/name_u] pfp!!

This was going to be my concern with the name - too much V. But if you like it then I have no complaints.

I agree with this.

2 Likes