Baby Berries due July - September 2021

Hi everyone.

I got bad news on my end with my NIPT test results this morning, which came back as high risk for turners syndrome. Now there is a lot more testing and waiting on my end to see what this means, and to see whether baby makes it. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] everyone else is doing well.

2 Likes

@JessieMxo Oh honey, I’m so sorry. I am thinking of you and your baby girl, and hoping for a miracle. :heart: You never know. She may be alright. High risk doesn’t mean definitely.:crossed_fingers: Praying for the best outcome!

I’m so sorry for your really stressful news! That is a lot to be learning about and worrying over. [name_m]Will[/name_m] you have more testing right away or just be waiting around a while? [name_m]Will[/name_m] you need an amnio?

You never know! thinking of you both! hang in there…

is everyone doing the genetic testing? i passed on it. [name_f]My[/name_f] doctors kind of swayed me against it. they said would i do anything different if i found out something is wrong or just worry myself? i think they might have wanted me to skip it for my anxiety.
also im getting a more in depth ultrasound for my 20 week to see if my delivery will be high risk and they can see a lot more , if something was out of the norm on that.

@jenileigh,

I’ve never gotten genetic testing done for any of my pregnancies before and declined testing for this baby also. The doctor agreed that since I’m only 29 it wasn’t necessary.

My friend is 28, since both her and the father’s genetic history is partially unknown, she has decided to do all genetic testing.

But for the initial test with an ultrasound, I think it was supposed to be 14 weeks… Someone messed up and she missed the window. The tech measured the baby and said he/she was too big. They’re planning to do the full anatomy scan around 20 weeks, along with extra blood tests. The doctor said the blood tests check for the same issues as the 14 week scan… It’s just that anything they find will be a later discovery than if they had done the ultrasound… I guess.

Sorry this info is a little incomplete. I strongly dislike her doctor and don’t feel like she’s received adequate care or education.

1 Like

@JessieMxo oh no I’m so sorry. Hopefully everything turns out okay, fingers crossed for you :crossed_fingers:

We haven’t decided on the genetic testing yet, but I’m leaning towards yes. I’m adopted and have no family medical history whatsoever so I don’t have any idea what my genes may look like. [name_f]My[/name_f] husbands side of the family is pretty healthy luckily but it’s still alot of unknown for me.

1 Like

I got my blood work done yesterday. Still waiting for all the results. I didn’t expect them to take 7 vials! I am exhausted, I could sleep at any time. Some nights I sleep though the night and sometimes I only sleep from 745-2 am. I get up at 415 for work so that doesn’t help. I’m also pretty nauseous in the morning. Some days are worse than others. Also having some pretty strong food aversions to dairy specifically milk. I’m somewhere between 5 to almost 7 weeks. The blood work results should help narrow that down a little closer. [name_f]My[/name_f] first phone appt is Tuesdays.

I didn’t get genetic testing with my previous pregnancies. I opted to get it done with this one because of my two miscarriages in the past 9 months for chromosonal issues. I certainly regret getting it done now. [name_f]My[/name_f] anxiety for the next 4 weeks will be through the roof.

The next steps for us now will be a detailed scan pretty much straight away, and then an ammnio at 15 weeks. If the baby has turners we are absolutely happy to carry to full term, the condition is scary but doesn’t deter us. What is harder to deal with is the 99% chance that a baby with turners will miscarry before the end of the second trimester.

Unfortunately it’s just a waiting game for us, and an all to familiar one as my second pregnancy was diagnosed high risk for Edwards syndrome at 12 weeks and that one ended in a miscarriage a couple of weeks later, before the ammnio took place.

We are pretty devastated, and just taking it day by day. It seems particularly cruel that this is the 3rd time in 9 months we’ve dealt with a seemingly “random and very rare” condition.

Hope everyone else is doing well, will post with updates when I have them.

3 Likes

@JessieMxo hugs what an emotional rollercoaster. I’m so sorry you are doing this again. :heart:

We didn’t do any genetic testing because I think I read somewhere that there is a high false positive rates. I didn’t want to worry unnecessarily since we knew we wouldn’t have an abortion either way. It’s
definitely a decision everyone has to make for themselves though!

6 weeks and 2 days. Starting to feel pretty tired and nauseous. Our ultrasound is next week. I’m starting to get excited !

Edit: I didn’t see my response posted before so I responded again. I don’t know how to delete my post from my phone.

I haven’t had genetic testing in pregnancy previously and won’t do so this time around, either. We did basic genetic counseling out of pocket as part of our own pre-TTC prep the first time around. We’ve also done various consumer DNA tests (I’m a genealogist). Turns out my husband and I aren’t carriers for anything out of the ordinary at all, but that really put my mind at ease about the pure-odds likelihood of healthy pregnancies. This has definitely made me much more confident in making the informed decisions I’ve made regarding interventions and testing (as in to opt out of pretty much all of it) with both pregnancies. That and my age (currently 28), though my husband’s age worries me much more this time than last time around (currently 37). But the happenstance occurrences of issues will happen no matter what.

The closest we came to adopting before our son was placed with us was one of those happenstances. A baby girl with a super rare chromosomal abnormality (fewer than 100 babies born in the entire world with the same condition each year) whose birth parents were placing for adoption because they had not known before the birth and felt they could not handle her severe special needs. We interviewed with the couple and really thought we were going to bring that baby home but her parents chose another family across the country at the last minute (a family already raising multiple children with special needs). But considering that we said yes to that adoption scenario, and to a boy with severe spina bifida, and to a micropremie with hydracephaly BY CHOICE (and subsequently were not chosen to parent any of those children but I think of them every day), we have definitely decided that literally nothing we could find out from an ultrasound or blood test would change our minds about anything but would just stress me way out during my pregnancy. The newborn blood screening in our state does about 60 rare disorders so we would know within a few days if a seemingly healthy baby actually needed treatment, and of course likely sooner if our baby was seemingly NOT healthy. And yeah, it seems like there are so many false positives or at least false worries and lots of double-checking and then finding out, “Oh yeah, sorry we’ve been worrying you so much for the past month(s). Your baby is actually totally healthy,” which is not the kind of mind-game [read mind-expletive] I do well with.

I totally get why you took NIPT, @JessieMxo. I hope this pregnancy lasts for you but I’d be curious if you’d choose to do it again during another pregnancy. And I also totally get why you’d want to take it, too, @PrincessShannon (though of course there are plenty of other avenues to learn more about your genetics!). Not having information about health history can be really hard and if this baby is to be the first person you’ll ever meet who shares your genes that can also make the pregnancy feel that much more precarious, I’ve heard.

3 Likes

I dont think I would take the NIPT again, regardless of the outcome this time.

@JessieMxo, That’s hard to read just for interpreting that it means you’re suffering more than the value of that information. I’m so sorry you’re going through this right now. I wish swift answers your way, even though that can’t take away the present troubles.

Has anyone had their “20 week ultrasound” at 21-24 weeks?

My friend was scheduled to do this at 19 weeks, but we both have a conflict on the day. She said she called to reschedule and is waiting for a call back… But the closer we get to 20 weeks, the less likely they’ll be able to squeeze her in (probably). I’m really annoyed that they have to call her back at all. I’m guessing they need some kind of special approval from the doctor and the doctor just isn’t getting back to the registration/scheduling staff.

Also - For the genetic testing stuff, not sure if it’s been mentioned, but the main purpose is to prepare the parent(s) for what to expect, not necessarily for abortion reasons. And parent(s) who do not have support, financial means, etc, could certainly use as much time as possible to prepare.

I hear this is pretty common. It can really happen anytime between like 17 and 24 weeks although they usually try to schedule 19-20, I think. I have zero experience with ultrasound so I can’t say what to expect but the only bit of pertinent advice for your friend would be to not allow her doctor to change her duedate based on an ultrasound later than 20 weeks. So many birthing people have their due dates changed based on later ultrasounds, which of course might be totally fine, but I’ve known plenty of moms personally whose due dates were changed, and who then wound up being strongly encouraged to induce at a date that wasn’t really appropriate based on when they believed they conceived or even based on LMP (like saying a high-risk mom should induce at 38 weeks when she thinks she’s really only 35 weeks, so really a premie, or on the other end of the spectrum, being encouraged to induce at 41 weeks citing the risk of stillbirth when really she’s only 38 weeks).

I’m 15w2d right now. I keep forgetting to mention that my milk has completely dried up. I can’t express a drop anymore and H told me one day about 3 weeks ago that he didn’t want to nurse because ‘there’s no milk and it tastes bad.’ He has still been “trying” every few days to see if there’s milk (latching for like all of 2 seconds), but otherwise nobody’s nursing. I told them there would be lots of great-tasting milk when [name_u]Bao[/name_u] comes and my elder was quite excited about that prospect but I’m not sure whether he will still be interested after 6 more months. This may mark the end of my nursing journey with H, though I’m still REALLY hoping A will be interested when the milk comes in. He will be off bottles by then and drinking from cups only so I’m hoping to work on comfort nursing during the last few months of pregnancy and see if we can get it to work.

But only 6 more months on my end! I’d be 41.5 weeks 6 months from now and I doubt I’m likely to go that long (though I would). I have so much I want to get done before then.

I’ve been feeling better this week with much more energy during the day and even though I’m still throwing up a lot, the nausea immediately passes once I’ve thrown up, so I’m finally pretty sure I’ll be feeling better in a few weeks than I have been feeling in the past months. I have my 3 month midwife check in 2 days and I’m looking forward to it. I need to be better about getting more movement into my days (I KNOW this will happen naturally in a couple months when the weather is better, but I haven’t been moving enough while cozied up inside during these winter snowstorms). But I’m feeling more confident about being able to do that now that I’m not feeling so gross all day every day. I still haven’t gained any weight, but I’m just about one pound below where I was when I conceived so probably in the next couple weeks I’ll finally be up… we’ll see.

[name_f]My[/name_f] friend irl who was pregnant about a month behind me miscarried last week at 10 weeks… I’m really sad for her obviously, but I’m also disappointed for myself as I was so looking forward to going through these pregnancies together and having little ones the same age. I think she’s taking some time before trying again (as I would be, too), but I hope she can get pregnant again right away when they do start trying again.

2 Likes

my first pregnancy they moved my due date up i wonder if that was why!
i just started getting my energy back and being active. i was a complete bump on a log, but now i feel myself over doing it. i’m 17 weeks now. i walked a bit in the snow during my lunch break and i have been crampy all day since then.
ive gained over ten pounds!!! but i was really underweight when i conceived. so ive been overdoing it on the food as well. i’m just now at a normal body weight and bmi for my height. but feeling huge. i feel like i’m already waddling .
so sorry to hear about your friend </3

2 Likes

@Elle1 I just had my ultrasound at 21 weeks. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] is measuring where she should be and there was no talk of my due date changing (although my doctor is very against changing it so late because “just because baby is big, doesn’t mean they’re as developed”). I didn’t get the impression I was too late or anything to have the ultrasound, my guess is there’s a big range.

2 Likes