Baby Boy Due 9/26/2020 - Name Flow Woes

Hello!

We are expecting our first baby in [name_f]September[/name_f]. We now know it is a little boy and I would like to get some feedback on a name combo that doesn’t have great flow.

Here’s the situation: all of the first born sons in my husband’s family have the first name: [name_u]James[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and his father both go by their middle names. I don’t love the name [name_u]James[/name_u] or the nicknames associated with it ([name_m]Jim[/name_m], [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m], [name_u]Jamie[/name_u], [name_u]Jay[/name_u]). I’m 100% in support of passing on the tradition though. We are both okay with baby boy going by his middle name. HOWEVER. We don’t agree on many names. We liked a couple that ultimately we cannot use due to awkward/bully worthy initials (JIS). We have a couple that one of us likes but the other isn’t 100% sold. Then there is [name_m]Luke[/name_m]. I suggested [name_m]Luke[/name_m] or [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] yesterday and my husband likes [name_m]Luke[/name_m] a lot. We would end up just calling him [name_m]Luke[/name_m] no matter what, so I don’t necessarily want to add extra confusion of, “Well my legal name is [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Lucas[/name_m], but I go by [name_m]Luke[/name_m].”

How awkward sounding is [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m]? Our last name starts and ends with an S. It is two syllables, but fairly long (9 letters).

Thank you!
[name_f]Sara[/name_f]

P.S. [name_f]My[/name_f] new found love of [name_m]Luke[/name_m] may just be because I’m watching [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls for the first time and it just always catches my ear when they say “[name_m]Luke[/name_m]”… It just clicks.

2 Likes

Honestly I think it flows just fine. I think part of why it doesn’t seem so abrupt to me is because [name_u]James[/name_u] kind of feels like it has more than one syllable due to the “z” sound at the end. [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m] is a very handsome name and [name_m]Luke[/name_m] as his everyday name is wonderful!
So I wouldn’t even worry about it - just go with what you like!

I think that [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m] is just fine, especially considering that he’ll largely be known as [name_m]Luke[/name_m] S________. What a wonderful way to keep the tradition.

On the note of initials though, I really don’t think you should worry about an unfortunate combination. In what scenarios will he realistically be emphasizing his initials are JIS? And if that is the combination in question, are kids really likely to make a fuss over that one? It’s not as overtly obvious as, say, BJ (which is a top contender for my impending bub).

I can’t recall knowing very many of my peers full names when I was a kid, can you?

I actually really like [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m]! Very handsome

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m] sounds awkward at all! I think it’s great. And it’s probably perfect in that it’s short, since you have a long surname. [name_m]Luke[/name_m] is a great choice, and I wouldn’t worry about it a minute more if I were you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m] is fine. To me there aren’t any issues with flow. As he’ll be going by his MN everyday, there shouldn’t be any issues.

When people find out his FN and the reason he goes by his MN, they will love the history of it.

BTW my grandma went by her MN her entire life. No one outside of family and close friends knew— it wasn’t that she didn’t tell people, people just didn’t realise that the name she went by couldn’t possibly be her FN. Acquaintances were absolutely shocked at her memorial… 2 months after she died.

James [name_m]Luke[/name_m] sounds fine. If you’re just going to be calling him [name_m]Luke[/name_m], I wouldn’t worry too much about the flow

I really like [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m] , and [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]. Go with what you love !!

I think [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m] flows very well, and actually sounds better together than [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]. It’s a beautiful combination and two lovely names.

I know a G. [name_m]William[/name_m] Lastname called “[name_m]Will[/name_m],” where the G is his father’s and grandfather’s name, so I think [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] called “[name_m]Luke[/name_m]” would work just fine. I don’t think there would be any confusion.

1 Like

I think [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m] is awkward but [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Luca[/name_u]/Luka is nice! I’d also suggest [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Levi[/name_m] and [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Leo[/name_m]!

I don’t think [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m] is that bad? I know a J0n [name_m]Luke[/name_m] which doesn’t flow all that differently, so maybe that’s why. You could do something like [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Lucian[/name_m]/Lucius/Luciano/Lucan/Lucas and still call him [name_m]Luke[/name_m], but if [name_m]Luke[/name_m] is what you really love, I’d go with it! [name_m]Luke[/name_m] is lovely.

I don’t think James Luke is awkward at all, though I do prefer James Luca. I think it’s such a sweet name and have always had a soft spot for the name Luca. Good luck with your baby boy!

P.S. If you were looking for an alternative nickname for James at all, I’ve always loved Jay!

1 Like

James [name_m]Luke[/name_m] doesn’t flow better well or sound the best in my opinion

James [name_m]Luke[/name_m] is OK, but I prefer [name_m]Luke[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Luca[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Lucas[/name_m].

1 Like

I love [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m]!

James [name_m]Luke[/name_m] is lovely! I also think it works better than [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] S___ which is very S heavy when read out in full.

2 Likes

I agree with [name_m]Luke[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] flowing better. I also like the suggestion of [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Luca[/name_u]. But on the other hand I went to school with someone who went by his middle name [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] his whole life but his first name was [name_m]John[/name_m]. He didn’t need to explain it to anyone

2 Likes

James [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] nn [name_m]Luke[/name_m] isnt that weird however even better would be [name_u]James[/name_u] nn [name_u]Jem[/name_u], which is a nice alternative to many not so lovely [name_u]James[/name_u] nicknames

1 Like

Thank you all for your insight!!! [name_u]Baby[/name_u] is due next week and we still are leaning towards [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m]. We just haven’t found anything else that we love and can agree on. I didn’t want to choose it just because we didn’t have any other options. However I forgot about this post until now and all of my worries are gone :slight_smile:. We really do love the name.