Baby Boy Known Formerly as Soren

Disclaimer: You may have seen this come through a few weeks ago, but my thread has completely disappeared… I wasn’t able to view most of the replies before that happened, so I’m trying one more time.

My husband and I fell in love with the name [name_m]Soren[/name_m] for our baby boy, who is due in less than four weeks now! Months later we realized that the name is not compatible with our last name and could bring on some teasing in his future if we were to go ahead with the combo. Our last name starts with D, so I’m trying to avoid any name that ends with a strong D (i.e. [name_u]Jude[/name_u], Stroud, etc.), but would be okay with a name that ends with a soft D (like [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]).

I am hoping for a name that is masculine and unique

He also has a sister named [name_u]Simone[/name_u], so we’d like to find something that fits fairly well with her name.

Some of the names we like, but aren’t really sold on, are listed below

[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] (not too keen on how popular this name is)
[name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]
[name_u]Auden[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_u]Lennox[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] (sounds great with our last name, but just can’t be persuaded to use such a popular name)

Guilty Pleasure: [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] - but our last name is way too ordinary for such a strong name!

If you have any other suggestions or comments on our choices, I’d really appreciate it!

My favorites from you list are [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Vincent[/name_m].

Suggestions:
[name_m]Colton[/name_m]
[name_u]Colby[/name_u]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_u]Corbin[/name_u]
[name_u]Percy[/name_u]
[name_u]Perry[/name_u]
[name_m]Pierce[/name_m]
[name_m]Gavin[/name_m]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_u]Bran[/name_u]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_m]Issac[/name_m]
[name_m]Thane[/name_m]
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederic[/name_m]
[name_m]Roderick[/name_m]
[name_m]Rodney[/name_m]
[name_m]Ramon[/name_m]

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:
[name_m]Pierce[/name_m] is my favorite of your suggestions. I also like [name_m]Evander[/name_m] a lot too!

I really like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] with [name_u]Simone[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Milo[/name_m] or [name_m]Julian[/name_m]?

Without knowing your last name it’s hard to guess what the teasing potential of [name_m]Soren[/name_m] is. What about [name_u]Corin[/name_u], [name_m]Corvin[/name_m], [name_u]Corbin[/name_u], or Corvus? Some similar sounds there.

Sounds like you like what I think of as strong, dignified names. Other suggestions:

[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
[name_m]Quentin[/name_m]
[name_m]Gregory[/name_m]
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_m]Broderick[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]

[name_m]Julian[/name_m] is one we have gone back and forth on. It actually sounds great with our last name, and since my name starts with an S and my husband’s name starts with a J is would fit very well into our family… but I keep thinking it has a feminine sounds to it. Maybe it’s just because of the [name_f]Jillian[/name_f] and Julies I know. I also have to consider that my son is growing up in a different generation where he won’t come across very many Julies. :slight_smile: It is one that I should add back onto the list! Thanks!

Oh! Great suggestions! [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] is a great name…I also really like [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] (which I’ve never considered), [name_m]Broderick[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] (although my husband has already nixed [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]). I like the name [name_u]Corbin[/name_u], but it’s hard to get past knowing someone with that name. It does have a similar sound to [name_m]Soren[/name_m] though, which is still appealing. :slight_smile:

[name_m]Stellan[/name_m] was the first name that came to mind.

I love [name_u]Lennox[/name_u] with [name_u]Simone[/name_u].

[name_u]Tiernan[/name_u]
[name_m]Nicolai[/name_m]
[name_m]Rhodes[/name_m]
[name_m]Idris[/name_m]
[name_m]Oran[/name_m]
[name_m]Ansel[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_u]Larkin[/name_u]
[name_m]Cashel[/name_m]
[name_m]Torin[/name_m]
[name_u]Sander[/name_u]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_u]Rafe[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]Alden[/name_u]
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m]
[name_m]Fox[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]/[name_m]Louie[/name_m]/[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_m]Angus[/name_m]
[name_m]Jago[/name_m]
[name_m]Fergus[/name_m]
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m]
[name_m]Jago[/name_m]
[name_m]Harlan[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_u]Amory[/name_u]
[name_m]Maxim[/name_m]
[name_m]Hayes[/name_m]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
[name_m]Adler[/name_m]
[name_m]Iver[/name_m]
[name_m]Ramses[/name_m]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m]
[name_m]Lorcan[/name_m]
[name_m]Amos[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
[name_m]Finnian[/name_m]
[name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m]
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u]
[name_u]Lane[/name_u]
[name_m]Thiago[/name_m]
[name_m]Caius[/name_m]
[name_m]Tor[/name_m]
[name_u]Sacha[/name_u]
[name_m]Senan[/name_m]
[name_u]Asa[/name_u]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_m]Boden[/name_m]
[name_m]Conall[/name_m]
[name_u]Coren[/name_u]
[name_m]Foster[/name_m]
[name_m]Forrest[/name_m]

[name_m]Abram[/name_m]
[name_m]Sven[/name_m]

[name_m]Soren[/name_m] - I agree if it doesn’t work with the last name ditch it. I lucked out never even writing our last name with our first child’s name that it works well… Funny how we never even thought about it… I remember seeing it on the birth cert envelope and thinking wow that looks great! [name_m]How[/name_m] have I not written it out yet! Definitely pick something that works.
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is lovely but it is popular, if you want something less popular obviously choose something else
[name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] I love/ I prefer the original a [name_m]Lochlainn[/name_m] personally and we considered it ourselves, our surname would be lovely with this and my husband loved the meaning as well! But sadly I don’t think we will use it :frowning: so if you love it I say go for it!
[name_u]Auden[/name_u] I’ve always liked!
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] classic and lovely, theo or teddy will likely come up but both can be cute :slight_smile:
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] I love as well, those -t boy names are so strong <3
Lennox makes me think of printers and I instantly think Knox ? Don’t dislike it its just a personal association
Alexander is great, just about to post about this myself but it is VERY popular, its rare to be in a school or play area and not see one Alexander variation on a boy or girl, and has been since Alexander the Great and likely before was popular enough to be used for his name… I mention this because it is sooo classic that it can’t really be considered ‘popular’ its a fixture like John, James & Thomas, William & David… They always feel fresh because they are attached to everything everywhere. Alexei is a wonderful Variation if you like we considered it, I’m Now weighing Xander.
Ulysses I would agree its quite strong
Sabin?

I think [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] would both be lovely with [name_u]Simone[/name_u].

[name_m]Even[/name_m] though it’s popular I think [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] and [name_u]Simone[/name_u] would make a nice pair.

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Justin[/name_m]
[name_m]Quentin[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Anthony[/name_m]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_m]Alban[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]

You kind of like [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m], what about [name_m]Lorcan[/name_m]?
[name_u]Larkin[/name_u]?
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]? [name_u]Lionel[/name_u]?

Yes! I love that name, but my husband doesn’t like it. :frowning: He feels like it’s too close to [name_f]Stella[/name_f].

Thank you gr19! Such a great list of names I haven’t considered at all! You have a wonderful collection of unique boys names. I can wait to start looking into these :slight_smile: [name_m]Rhodes[/name_m] is particularly wonderful…

Thank you so much for your input! I agree… It’s also interesting how something as classic and frequent as Alexander can have a new feel to it. When you hear one unique name (like Lennox) it is hard to disassociate it from the way you think of it. My husband and I also love the name Vincent… I do start to wonder if the V.D. initials make it worth avoiding?

That’s funny, I was thinking about the name [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] with [name_u]Simone[/name_u] just the other day. I started to wonder if there was a good way to put a spin on it (without using [name_m]Nicolai[/name_m] since we already have a [name_m]Nicolai[/name_m] D----- in the family). [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] is in the same vein. I really like the name, but might want a different spin on it, and [name_m]Julian[/name_m] is great as is. :slight_smile:

I love [name_u]Lennox[/name_u] and [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m].

[name_m]Lorcan[/name_m]
[name_u]Lennon[/name_u]
[name_m]Lucien[/name_m]
[name_m]Eamon[/name_m]
[name_m]Sven[/name_m]
[name_m]Gannon[/name_m]

I see this worry a lot on “mom forums”, but I honestly don’t think it matters. I’d say 99% of people come up with nothing if you ask them what they think of the initials V.D.