Baby Boy Toy needs a name!

My husband and I are expecting our first child in [name]October[/name]. My husband wants to pass down the middle name [name]Allen[/name]-not my favorite, but I’ll live. He has also liked the name [name]Jonas[/name] for years. I’m not sold on the name, plus my husband and I both have the initials J.A. and I’m worried that if we don’t continue the initial tradition other kids will feel left out (plus I think its a little cheesy). Here are our options for first names. Please keep in mind the last name is [name]TOY[/name], which can be tricky. Be brutal, I want to be aware of all the negative connotations. We like names that have a traditional basis, but that aren’t used a lot. We like [name]Ainsley[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] for girls.

[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Brendan[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]-family name
[name]Connor[/name]-family name
Finneas (or [name]Phineas[/name])
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Langston[/name]
[name]Marshall[/name]
[name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name] (nn [name]Cole[/name])
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Preston[/name]
[name]William[/name] (nn [name]Will[/name])
Whitacre (nn [name]Whit[/name])

[name]Emery[/name]: Since [name]Angie[/name] [name]Harmon[/name] gave birth to her daughter, [name]Emery[/name] [name]Hope[/name], I think it’s safe to say that [name]Emery[/name] has gone to the girls. In addtion, [name]Emma[/name] is the #1 name for girls, and [name]Emily[/name] is #3, so that’s a lot of little female Ems in the world!

[name]Emmett[/name]: The [name]Em[/name]/[name]Emma[/name]/[name]Emily[/name] issue…

[name]Brendan[/name]: [name]Brendan[/name] is really trendy, and close to the even trendier [name]Braydon[/name]/[name]Bradon[/name] trend.

Other Irish names:
[name]Declan[/name], [name]Donovan[/name], [name]Finnian[/name], [name]Finnegan[/name], [name]Gulliver[/name], [name]Kellan[/name] (Irish feel…), [name]Sullivan[/name]

[name]Colin[/name]-family name: I really like [name]Colin[/name]. It’s pretty popular (type a name into the box on the left, and you’ll see its popularity ranking), but I think it’s great.

[name]Connor[/name]-family name: This one is pretty trendy now, too, but if you love it, you should go for it!

Finneas (or [name]Phineas[/name]): I definitely prefer the [name]Phineas[/name] spelling, but with your last name, [name]Toy[/name], I’d personally avoid first names ending in S, as when you say the combo aloud, the S in [name]Phineas[/name] attaches to the T in toy, and you’ve got Phinea Stoy.

[name]Griffin[/name]: I think this works…

[name]Henry[/name]: I love [name]Henry[/name] despite its popularity, and think it works well with [name]Toy[/name].

[name]Langston[/name]: With [name]Toy[/name], [name]Langston[/name] sounds pretty T-heavy to me…

[name]Marshall[/name]: I think this sounds cool with [name]Toy[/name].

[name]Nathan[/name]: I think [name]Nathaniel[/name] sounds better with your last name, but I like [name]Nathan[/name], too. [name]Both[/name] are quite popular…

[name]Nicholas[/name] (nn [name]Cole[/name]): It’s the s-ending issue for me, but that’s just me!

[name]Oliver[/name]: I think [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Toy[/name] is great! [name]Oliver[/name] is one of my favorites. :slight_smile: This name is really, really popular now, which may be an issue for you…

[name]Preston[/name]: Not my style, and [name]Preston[/name] [name]Toy[/name] sounds pretty T heavy to me…

[name]William[/name] (nn [name]Will[/name]): Another popular (but very handsome) name. I think [name]William[/name] is great with [name]Toy[/name].

Whitacre (nn [name]Whit[/name]): I think Whitacre [name]Toy[/name] flows, but something about this spelling looks odd to me.

You’ve got a lot of great names here! :slight_smile:

Although [name]Oliver[/name] is popular, I really like the flow of [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Toy[/name], and I’m giving it my vote.
:slight_smile:

(Side note: You mentioned that [name]Amelia[/name] isn’t used often, but it’s actually very popular, #68 at the moment.)

Good luck!

My husband and I are expecting our first child in [name]October[/name]. My husband wants to pass down the middle name [name]Allen[/name]-not my favorite, but I’ll live. He has also liked the name [name]Jonas[/name] for years. I’m not sold on the name, plus my husband and I both have the initials J.A. and I’m worried that if we don’t continue the initial tradition other kids will feel left out (plus I think its a little cheesy). Here are our options for first names. Please keep in mind the last name is [name]TOY[/name], which can be tricky. Be brutal, I want to be aware of all the negative connotations. We like names that have a traditional basis, but that aren’t used a lot. We like [name]Ainsley[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] for girls.

My favorite uncle is named [name]Allan[/name] with an “a”.
[name]Love[/name] [name]Amelia[/name].

[name]Emery[/name] - girl’s name, [name]Emery[/name] [name]Allen[/name] [name]Toy[/name] has the initials EAT, not a good thing.
[name]Emmett[/name] - see above
[name]Brendan[/name] - initials [name]BAT[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]-family name - love, initials [name]CAT[/name], cool if you like cats. I love cats so much!
[name]Connor[/name]-family name
Finneas (or [name]Phineas[/name]) - cool, watch out for initials FAT
[name]Griffin[/name] - cool, initials GAT, means gun.
[name]Henry[/name] - one of my faves, initials [name]HAT[/name]
[name]Langston[/name]
[name]Marshall[/name], initials [name]MAT[/name]
[name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name] (nn [name]Cole[/name]) - one of my faves
[name]Oliver[/name] - ditto, initials OAT, maybe he would like Cheerios!
[name]Preston[/name]
[name]William[/name] (nn [name]Will[/name]) - one of my faves
Whitacre (nn [name]Whit[/name])

Thanks [name]Jill[/name], I didn’t even notice the “s” problem. You would be amazed at how often a simple name like [name]Toy[/name] can be misunderstood. We have considered [name]Phinean[/name] as well, which would eliminate that problem.

I am pretty discouraged, because names that I have loved forever (like [name]Brendan[/name] after an uncle, and [name]Connor[/name] after my grandmother’s maiden name) are now popular. I think I can live with a semi-common name, I just don’t want my child to have to have their name qualified with an initial in school (ie [name]Connor[/name] T.)

The initials will continue to be a problem, there is just no getting around it with [name]Allen[/name] locked in. I want to avoid really offensive combos or one’s that will involve ridiculous amounts of teasing. [name]Will[/name] OAT be a sore spot or just a quirk? [name]How[/name] common is [name]Oliver[/name] right now?

I really like [name]Emmett[/name] (there was an Irish patriot named [name]Emmett[/name] that I admire). [name]Will[/name] the Twilight series cause a spike in this name? Also, [name]Jonas[/name], what do we think about that, the matching initials, and the [name]Jonas[/name] Brothers connection?

love oliver (love the meaning and sound) toy! it gets my #1 vote. close second is henry. connor #3. congratulations and good luck choosing a name! :slight_smile:

I would be warry of any names beginning with “E” (E.A.T) “F” (F.A.T) “R” (R.A.T) “S” (S.A.T) “T” (T.A.T) or “V” (V.A.T). Ditto for a boy named [name]Lex[/name] or a girl named [name]Alexis[/name] ([name]Lex[/name]) because of the possibility of rhyming their name with “sex toy.” Maybe with the “a” middle initial, you could add an additional middle name? Something like "[name]Connor[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Allen[/name] [name]Toy[/name] - “CJAT.”

I like [name]Nathan[/name] or [name]Nathaniel[/name] best, I think. [name]Colin[/name] is good but spells [name]CAT[/name]. With [name]Nathan[/name]/[name]Nathaniel[/name], the initials could also be a nickname “[name]Nat[/name]” if you want … [name]Oliver[/name] is a good name but think it’s pretty popular now. Same with [name]Henry[/name]. Think one syllable first names not so good ([name]Will[/name] or [name]Whit[/name]) b/c last name is one syllable. I like the idea of a second middle name to go against the initial issue! Good luck!

I don’t think it would be the end of the world if his initials were OAT. [name]Oliver[/name] is very popular, but I really love it. I would use that name - it would be high on my list along with [name]Henry[/name]. I would not use [name]Emmett[/name] if I were you because it ends in a “t”. It runs together awkwardly with your last name. [name]Jonas[/name] is cute. I also like [name]Jonah[/name]. [name]Isaac[/name] would be cute, too. No initial problem there. Sounds good with [name]Toy[/name].

I don’t see a problem with OAT, either, but if it bothers you, that’s all that matters. I think [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Allen[/name] [name]Toy[/name] is great! ([name]Oliver[/name] is #118 now…)

I personally would be too annoyed with the [name]Jonas[/name] Brothers connection to use it on a boy, but that’s just me. (Plus, when you say it aloud, it sounds like [name]Jonah[/name] Stoy.)

I’m one who always looks for teasing potential in name combos, and I personally wouldn’t be worried about OAT, EAT, [name]CAT[/name], [name]MAT[/name], [name]HAT[/name] etc. On the flip side, I’d personally avoid FAT in a major way. :slight_smile: It’s one thing to have initials that spell out a negative or derogatory word, but I personally don’t think neutral nouns are a big deal. Plus, when names are monogrammed, the last name usually goes in the middle, so [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Allen[/name] [name]Toy[/name] would look like [name]OTA[/name].

Oh! [name]Emmett[/name]. I do think it’s cool, but with [name]Emma[/name] at #1 and [name]Emily[/name] at #3 (I think), that’s a lot of Ems in the world.

Some more names, although not all work with [name]Allen[/name]:

[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Finnegan[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name] [name]Toy[/name] (although [name]Max[/name] [name]Toy[/name] sounds pretty blunt)
[name]Maxwell[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name] [name]Toy[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Toy[/name] (nn [name]Theo[/name])
[name]Xavier[/name] [name]Toy[/name]

I think your last name sounds great with longer first names.

You’ll find the perfect name, so don’t worry! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the encouragement. Your input is appreciated. [name]Jill[/name], your post made me laugh out loud- I have suggested all of those names, with the exception of [name]Gideon[/name], to DH and he has shot them all down. You and I are on the same page though!

I do like the idea of using four names to help with the initial issue, but again, DH is opposed because my niece and nephew have four names. I told him that if he is forcing me to use [name]Allen[/name], he forfeits all other rights to name choice, but he doesn’t seem to want to cooperate. :wink:

Ha ha! So, we share a brain. :slight_smile: He said no to all of them? Seriously? Awe, geez. :frowning: Could you maybe ask him again in case he forgets that already said no? What DOES he like? (Like you said, he picked the middle, which is really throwing a wrench into things for you, so maybe he’d reconsider the first name?)

My husband hates most names. I will list the names he likes and maybe your husband might like one of them:
(I am omitting any name that makes an odd initial combo or starts with a “T”.
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Leonard[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name]
[name]Louis[/name] but I pronounce it [name]Lewis[/name] which seems to be a Nameberry no-no. I think it depends on where you live.
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name] - this may be on your original list.
[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] - super popular
[name]Philip[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name] - very, very popular, but it is a great name and sounds good with [name]Toy[/name]. Sounds great with my last name, too. That may be why it’s so popular - because it sounds good with lots of people’s last names
[name]Samuel[/name] nn [name]Sam[/name]
[name]Kenneth[/name]
[name]Michael[/name] is uber popular and there is a reason for that. It’s a great name!
[name]Jacob[/name] - ditto

More ideas from me:
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
All these names are very popular. But there is something to be said for a nice, guy name that doesn’t stand out and that maybe his dad likes.

[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Toy[/name] sounds like All of her toy. I think, with the last name [name]Toy[/name], you might want to go with a stronger first name, maybe something like [name]Mason[/name], marcus?

So do I! I’ve known lots of [name]Louis[/name]’ and they’ve all pronounced it [name]Lewis[/name]. Never met a Loo-ee.

I really think too much gets made of this. When I was in elementary school, I was [name]Courtney[/name] A, and another girl was [name]Courtney[/name] L, and I don’t remember it being particularly scarring. As a teacher, I often have doubles (sometimes triples or quadruples) of names in a classroom, and I rarely if ever address them as [name]Connor[/name] A, [name]Connor[/name] B, [name]Connor[/name] C. Maybe in elementary school it’s more of an issue, when they’re in the same class all day, but by middle/high school it’s really not anymore. It’s also worth remembering that they’re only in school for 16 years of their life. They’re out of school - where he would no longer be [name]Connor[/name] T - for much longer. [name]Don[/name]'t let popularity put you off of names that have meaning to you and that you really like.

It’s the same for me - [name]Karen[/name], though not nearly as much as [name]Jennifer[/name], was the 12th most common name for the year I was born with 0.9121% of births - that’s very slightly more common as [name]Emma[/name] is now. Depending on how massively large one’s school or school system is, there will always be a chance of 2 kids in a class with the same name, or even 3 (if you are counting “class” to mean all children in one grade over several classrooms). One year, there were 4 of us in one math class (7th grade), but that’s an outlying statistic near improbable, except in that it happened, so 100%. I don’t remember having to use my last initial every year or most years - which compare to [name]Emma[/name].

It’s really not sensible to compare position on the SSA list without using percentages to get an accurate measure just how many people have the name. In my personal experience, it wasn’t too many at all, but then again, I wasn’t [name]Jennifer[/name] or 10 other names more popular than mine. Again, [name]Emma[/name], the number 1 most popular girls name is almost exactly this popular, as [name]Ethan[/name] and [name]Joshua[/name] on the boys side at positions 3 and 4.

Consider 30 kids in one class, double that for morning and afternoon kindergarten who share one or two teachers and one classroom. It’s not a tragedy if the name you pick is #57 with 0.3599% of total births in 2008 ([name]Connor[/name]) or #207 with 0.0865% ([name]Brendan[/name]). The likelihood of another [name]Brendan[/name] or [name]Connor[/name] in the same class in any year is small. The likelihood of 2 children sharing the same name (any name) is pretty high, but the likelihood it will be the name you chose, it’s much smaller. In your state, it may be higher or possibly even lower.

I’m not good at this kind of math, but when one person makes up more than 3% of all children in a classroom, and then averaged to 1 out of 15 boys or girls, I do know that of the top 100 names, about 85 won’t even be in your child’s class in any given year, counting only the boys or the girls separately. That’s if you’re only restricting the community to choosing one from the top 100, which there is a strong trend to avoid doing.

And this works well as adults. I know when I was younger, I thought having a different name was cool, it would tell people I was interesting, it would make me popular or intriguing, but it doesn’t. I still like to meet people whose parents went “some other way” than the usual, but I think having people who know my name, can remember it, know how to say and spell it, and don’t judge me for having what my parents thought was unusual or distinctive or some way to pretend to grant me some sort of individuality or edge in the system, seems to make a lot of things less complicated than they needed to be. Popularity of a name seems overstated and overemphasized, I think so when you really look at it. Either way, accounting for preferences to less common names makes even the most common names a lot less commonly used, so when one really loves one of these names, it shouldn’t be made to fear terribly.

[name]Connor[/name] and [name]Brendan[/name] seem fairly uncommon. [name]How[/name] many kids do you have to know to find 5 other Connors? [name]How[/name] many other Brendans do you have to know before there are just too many in your circle? I say if you love a name, there’s really no reason to avoid it anyway.