Baby Brother names for big family

[Lachlan]—too Scottish/Aussie (Lachlan - Baby Name Meaning, Origin, and Popularity | Nameberry) / Lochlan
[Raphael]—TMNT (Raphael - Baby Name Meaning, Origin, and Popularity | Nameberry) nn Ralphie

Maxwell—my brother’s name!
[name_m]Hector[/name_m]—maybe; hadn’t considered it
[name_u]Stanley[/name_u]—name of dog I know
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]—husband loves, due to [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]Von[/name_m] Magnussen of “[name_u]Strong[/name_u] [name_m]Man[/name_m] Competition” fame in the ‘90’s
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]—my dad wanted badly to name my brother this
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]—too lion-y
[name_m]Mark[/name_m]—my mom cheated on my dad with one
[name_m]Stephen[/name_m]—kinda like!
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u]—DH has a strong negative association from childhood
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]—knew one who was the abusive boyfriend of a former neighbor
[name_m]Patrick[/name_m]—DH would say “it’s [name_u]Pat[/name_u]!” A la SNL
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m]—ridiculous character from “MAD Tv”
[name_u]Douglas[/name_u]—my cousin
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u]—have a close mom friend named [name_u]Tristen[/name_u]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]—maybe!
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]—good friend’s kid
[name_u]Beau[/name_u]—LOVE but husband doesn’t

1 Like

Updated List! in no particular order
Hayes
Lazarus
Louis “Lou”, pronounced “LOO-iss”
Montgomery “Monty”
Desmond
Heath
Todd (meaning: fox)
Paul
David
Nehemiah
Magnus (!)
Roland “Rollo”
Frederick “Freddy”
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]
[name_m]Clement[/name_m]
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] “[name_m]Larry[/name_m]” or “Lance” or “Lars” or “Ren”//Laurence “Rory” or “Renny”
[name_m]Silas[/name_m] “[name_u]Si[/name_u]”
[name_m]Richard[/name_m] “Rich”
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyril[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] “Cy”
Stephen
[name_m]Cecil[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_u]Percy[/name_u]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] (but would probably need a nickname that’s not [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_m]Chip[/name_m], [name_m]Chuck[/name_m], or [name_m]Cap[/name_m]; there are lots of people named [name_m]Charles[/name_m] in my family)
[name_m]Matthew[/name_m]/Mattias
[name_m]Hector[/name_m]
[name_u]Beau[/name_u]

3 Likes

Oh, you already used [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]! I’ve seen your posts a few times, and I immediately think [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] with your set.
Also [name_m]Henry[/name_m], already suggested.

Hmm, anything not suggested already…
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Roderick[/name_m]
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]

1 Like

Henry—tried to choose this many times but DH won’t have it
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]—my mom was engaged to one for a long while. But I overheard a mom calling for her toddler son by this name semi-recently and kind of liked it.
[name_m]Roderick[/name_m]— too much “[name_m]Rod[/name_m]”
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m]—sounds like a dog’s name
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]—[name_m]Joe[/name_m]’s cousin’s kid
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]—like it but our friends have one

1 Like

One major dilemma is that I really REALLY like [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] “[name_m]Larry[/name_m]”—I fell in love with it after my husband came back from a flight (pre-Covid) and was telling me he sat next to a baby [name_m]Larry[/name_m] and his mother on the plane. But we are MSU alumni, and [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] “[name_m]Larry[/name_m]” Nassar is a name that will live in (well-deserved) infamy for a good long while.
Doubt I could have talked DH into it anyway, but I really should let that one go. Such a bummer.

ETA: finally just noticed the alternative nicknames listed above! Thank you!!!

Would you consider an alternate spelling of [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] since you love it so much? [name_f]My[/name_f] dad’s middle name is [name_m]Lorenz[/name_m], pronounced the same as [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] but with the [name_m]German[/name_m] spelling.

1 Like

@LaurenAlexis, hmm! Maybe! That’s a cool idea.

1 Like

I also like [name_m]Lawry[/name_m] as a nickname but it would absolutely be heard as [name_u]Laurie[/name_u], which I’m pretty sure my DH won’t like. I tried to get him to watch the latest “[name_m]Little[/name_m] Women” movie with me (pre-Covid) but he rolled his eyes.

Your option of [name_u]Si[/name_u] really jumps out, it’s a great choice with your boys! (And your girl!)

Have you considered [name_u]Lyle[/name_u]?

1 Like

Thanks @flamingo. [name_u]Lyle[/name_u] is pretty cool!

For a girl, I thought of [name_f]Megan[/name_f] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f]!

1 Like

Megan: my sister-in-law’s name
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]: like it but it rhymes with my first name ([name_f]Laura[/name_f])

Plus, I have a couple of major favorites in mind for a girl—pretty set on [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] since I have always wanted one :heart:. [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f].

And along the line of girl names, I just discovered a new name I like on Appellation [name_m]Mountain[/name_m]—[name_f]Severine[/name_f]. I would nickname her Seri (rhymes with fairy).

1 Like

Update: it’s kind of a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] miracle—my husband likes the nickname [name_u]Ren[/name_u]. So maybe [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] “[name_u]Ren[/name_u]” is a go after all!

Woohoo!

4 Likes

It’s great hearing all these updates. Your list is feeling really exciting! Have all the names been run past your husband as yet? I’m curious how you decided on the names of your six children. Did you make any significant compromises or trades with each other? What types of things did you prioritise?

1 Like

@kachenka, oh wow. Such a long tale to tell. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is really the “decider” since I can find something to love about most names. Our oldest is named after his paternal great-grandpa (first, middle, and last). Our second son got his first name from DH’s mom’s side of the family tree, and his middle is DH’s first name. Our daughter also has a family name from my husband’s mom’s side (which we both happen to adore) but her middle is just one I’ve always liked enough to choose for a first. We almost named her my middle name (which she now greatly prefers over her own first name—oh well). Then it started getting difficult when we named boy #3/child#4–we tried at that point to stick with a previously unintentional (U.S.) presidential first names theme—successful because DH coincidentally liked a character from a TV show by the same name. His middle ended up being the one that DH had been pushing for originally. Then boy#4/child#5, my husband and I were bringing the kids on a road trip from [name_u]Southern[/name_u] CA to [name_u]Denver[/name_u] to visit my brother while I was pregnant. We happened to go through St. [name_u]George[/name_u], [name_u]Utah[/name_u], which seemed like a nice enough place, so my husband started to campaign for [name_u]George[/name_u]. [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], his middle, is my dad’s first name. Then when it was time to name boy#5/child#6, I knew we would have a hard time picking something that we both liked AND happened to be a presidential first name, so I became a little more flexible. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband said that he had a dream that the baby’s name was [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], but for once I completely resisted (DH tends to get inspiration or dreams and we tended to roll with it, whatever it was, until that point). In desperation I turned to Facebook to crowdsource the decision. Eventually I decided I wanted a [name_m]Richard[/name_m]/Richie. We were at an absolute gridlock until like two weeks before he was born. At that point, DH had a strong inclination toward [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], and I was happy with that. [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]’s middle honors DH’s (late) swim coach from the club he swam for over a long period of his life—[name_m]Niels[/name_m] Jorgensen.

@kachenka, I haven’t run the whole list by him yet. Since we’re going to TTC hopefully soon, and will (hopefully) be team green, there is still plenty of time to pick names. I’m just trying to get a feel for what would work well for another boy, since we make lots and lots of them. Haha.

I like [name_m]Silas[/name_m] with your other kids names. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for going to the trouble to write all of that. It’s a pleasure to read where each name’s inspiration has come from. I hadn’t picked up on the US presidential theme at all, but then the names you’ve chosen don’t have a singular, strong association. It would feel good to close out your sons’ names in keeping with this theme. It seems [name_m]Richard[/name_m] is the only name on your list that would do this but a hard veto is difficult to argue against. I wonder if your husband could come around to it this time, with the passage of time but also it being your final baby and given how largely agreeable you have been to his own preferences. Perhaps in the middle as a compromise.

I also notice the family names you’ve used are primarily from your husband’s side, so choosing a name that honours your side would be a great reason to deviate from the theme. I love that [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] refers to your own name but remains a separate name. That’s not to say that any other names on the list aren’t worth deviating from the theme, but I personally like to prioritise names with a pleasing name story whatever that may be.

It is way to early to be narrowing down the options already, you’re right. I’m just hopeful some of your favourites stay on the table. Perhaps things will reverse further down the line and you will have lots of grandaughters in the future!

1 Like