Baby Brother names for big family

Laurance, [name_u]Laurence[/name_u], ([name_m]Rance[/name_m],[name_u]Ren[/name_u])

1 Like

Trying to edit my “list” in this thread to include [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] “[name_u]Rory[/name_u]” and [name_u]Hayes[/name_u], but for some reason I can’t edit it anymore. Maybe it’s because I’ve edited it like ten times.

Right now [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] “[name_u]Rory[/name_u]” is my top choice.

I only have the tiniest bit of hesitation because our friends (who have three sons and no plans to have any more kids at this time) appear to like the name [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] “[name_u]Rory[/name_u]” if they were to have a daughter someday. But I have never directly heard them say this—I am reading between the lines about their comments on having renamed their dog.

Sigh.

2 Likes

“[name_u]Rory[/name_u]” for [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is inspired. It is certainly unexpected but the sounds directly correlate to the name. I am so thrilled [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] remains up the top. I’m not entirely clear on the situation you’re describing but I get the impression you’re feeling put off or discouraged by the potential for more than one “[name_u]Rory[/name_u]” in your circle sometime in the future, or the potential disappointment the second couple might feel.

While it would be great to not have this hesitation you’re feeling, it also seems like a problem that may not even exist for a range of reasons. You might have a girl, your friends might have a boy or may have finished their family, your interpretation might be wrong, their taste might change, your son might end up with a different nickname or no nickname etc. I also believe your choice of name can stand independently to the choices of your friends. It’s wise to consider potential issues but this one sounds like it has too many variables to give much weight to right now.

1 Like

Seconding pretty much everything @kachenka said! [name_u]Rory[/name_u] for [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is unexpected but wonderful. I understand worrying about your friends–but it’s totally possible they’ll never have another kid let alone a daughter, and that even if they do end up having a daughter, their tastes will change by then. It’s also possible that they’re not even actually considering [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] “[name_u]Rory[/name_u].” Regardless, I wouldn’t let the (very indefinite) possibility of another future [name_u]Rory[/name_u] in your friend circle (technically a possibility with any name!) prevent you from using the name you love now!

2 Likes

@kachenka and @dandy_orchid, very true. I think the main thing is that they live in another state and we see them (maybe) once a year if we’re lucky. So it would be a fortunate kind of awkwardness to have, were they to use the same nickname for a daughter that we’d use for a hypothetical 6th son. They’re the kind of people that would think it was funny, anyway, I guess.
I do really like it. And if my husband and I can agree on the full first name to put on the birth certificate, that’s a huge victory. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if we called him by different nicknames (or even if said-child decided he wanted a whole different nickname entirely) it would be fine with me. :blush:

2 Likes

Our conversation tonight about [name_u]Laurie[/name_u]/Lawry as a nickname for [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]/Laurence:

Me: and [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] is out?

DH: For a boy? As a nickname for [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]??

Me: See, the problem is that you’ve never read or seen [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women!

DH: I don’t know if that’s a problem. Lol

1 Like

That sounds about right. Sorry it’s not an option. But [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] stays on the list with the other nickname possibilities? :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

@kachenka, yes, definitely. I’m not giving up.

And also, he’s not completely opposed to [name_m]Richard[/name_m]. He just doesn’t like [name_m]Richie[/name_m]. Maybe [name_m]Rich[/name_m].

1 Like

Have you considered [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] maybe as you mention you like [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and your partner isn’t sold, [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] with [name_u]Harry[/name_u] for short is nice? Also [name_u]Rory[/name_u] can totally be a stand alone name. I have a friend who has just called her son [name_u]Rory[/name_u].

@Artemis31, I like [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] “[name_u]Harry[/name_u]”, and my great grandpa was named [name_m]Harold[/name_m]. But my husband is very opposed to [name_u]Harry[/name_u], sadly.

Oh nooo. It’s difficult when the partner says no to a name. It’s funny as we have exact same taste in names. I want [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] for a boy, but my partner was adamantly against. So we have settled on [name_u]Elias[/name_u], I don’t have a middle name sorted at the moment. And for a girl we like either [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] or [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] bit leaning more towards [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f].

1 Like

@Artemis31, you are so right! We do have the same favorites. [name_u]Elias[/name_u] is very handsome. How do you feel about [name_m]Linus[/name_m]? It’s fun to “meet” someone who shares an appreciation for these names.

I like [name_m]Linus[/name_m] but for me it has Grandad vibes about it. I imagine a grandad smoking a pipe sitting in a rockingchair lol. I don’t know why I have this imagery as the name is really similar to [name_u]Elias[/name_u]. [name_u]Elias[/name_u] feels more fresher to me.
Another name I really like is [name_m]Ivar[/name_m]. Ooo and [name_m]Fraser[/name_m].

1 Like

@Artemis31, is [name_m]Fraser[/name_m] pronounced like [name_m]Frazier[/name_m]?
And is [name_m]Ivar[/name_m] “Ee-var”?

As you know I am in the UK. I pronounce [name_m]Ivar[/name_m] as eye-ver there is also the [name_m]Ivor[/name_m] Scottish spelling and I say it the same way. In the Scandinavian countries though it is pronounced as Ee-var. I think both are acceptable.
[name_m]Fraser[/name_m] I pronounce as Fray-ser. Many ways to spell [name_m]Fraser[/name_m] too but [name_m]Fraser[/name_m] is the traditional way.

1 Like