Baby due in May - opinions?

[name]Hi[/name],

I’m not due until [name]May[/name] 5, but it’s never too early to think about names, right?

Our boy name is pretty much set, as [name]Samuel[/name]. Other strong contenders are [name]Dexter[/name], [name]Miles[/name] and [name]Graham[/name]. We’re still working on the middle name, but it’ll likely be a family name.

But we can’t decide on a girl name. The names on our list right now are:
Aniela [name]Margaret[/name] (nn [name]Anya[/name])
[name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (nn [name]Cassie[/name])
[name]Claudia[/name] [name]Roisin[/name]
[name]Felicia[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (nn [name]Meri[/name])
[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (nn [name]Rory[/name])
[name]Teresa[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (nn [name]Tess[/name])

Aniela, [name]Mary[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] are all family names. We’d like to use one or a variation for the baby’s middle name.

One complicating factor is our 3-year-old daughter’s name, [name]Ivy[/name]. I love it, but it makes anything botanical, like [name]Rosemary[/name], feel way too matchy to me. That’s also a problem on [name]Meredith[/name] – [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Meri[/name] sound really Christmassy to me if you say them together.

Our last name is something like [name]Nicholson[/name], so anything with strong “N” sounds is a little weird to my ear.

Ideas? Opinions?

I love, love [name]Greta[/name]!!!

[name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Greta[/name]! So lovely together.

You have a good list and I like almost all of them. I don’t care for Aniela, but I do like [name]Anya[/name]. I think [name]Anya[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] or [name]Anya[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Nicholson[/name] sounds good.

Good luck!

I agree, [name]Greta[/name] is one of my favorite names I can’t use!
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] perhaps, or [name]Greta[/name] [name]Rose[/name]?

Yes, [name]Greta[/name]!!! [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Greta[/name] are just adorable! [name]Greta[/name] [name]Kate[/name] would be my pick.

[name]Hi[/name]! I love the name [name]Samuel[/name]! To go with [name]Samuel[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name], I would pick:

[name]Claudia[/name] [name]Roisin[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]

From your list I really like [name]Claudia[/name] and [name]Greta[/name] and I think they both work with [name]Ivy[/name]. I really love [name]Rosemary[/name] but I know what you mean about the botanical connection with [name]Ivy[/name]. It helps that the nickname would be [name]Rory[/name] (as opposed to [name]Rosey[/name]), and [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] are both family names for you so it is really nice. More than the botanical connection, I think I wouldn’t use [name]Rosemary[/name] because it’s so much longer than [name]Ivy[/name]. But [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Rory[/name] are so cute.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! [name]Greta[/name] is my husband’s first choice. It’s growing on me, and I’m glad to know people think it’s cute. I think it’s moving into front-runner status.

gwensmom, I love [name]Rory[/name]. One reason for the nickname is that the baby will have an Aunt [name]Rosie[/name], and two Rosies is a lot for one family. So yeah, we’d call her [name]Romy[/name] or [name]Rory[/name] to avoid confusion.

I forgot to mention another name – [name]Thalia[/name]/[name]Talia[/name]. I have a hard time with it because I like it better spelled with the h, but I really don’t want a name where the spelling will always have to be explained. So it’s low on the list, but it’s still on there.

I love [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Greta[/name]. But the name [name]Greta[/name] gets my vote, because I have a [name]Greta[/name] :wink: Where do you live? I adore the name [name]Greta[/name], and I do hear more of it lately. Most people comment how cute the name is, but I do find that it is one of those names that you either love or hate (I do get some odd looks sometimes when I tell people her name, but it doesn’t bother me at all). I do like [name]Greta[/name] [name]Kate[/name], but I think I like [name]Greta[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] even better.

I like [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name], because they both have the Y connection but it’s subtle enough to not be themey at all. Others I like are [name]Claudia[/name] and [name]Greta[/name] with [name]Ivy[/name].