Baby girl due today, but she's still nameless...

[name]Hi[/name] everyone,

We’re expecting a baby girl, well, today, but she’s a bit of a no show. This is our first child and my husband and I are still struggling with names. We’d appreciate any sage advice you might depart.

Couple of background things, the baby will have a very [name]German[/name] last name that starts with M. I have a Swedish/Norwegian background and my husband is [name]German[/name] and Irish. We’re set on the middle name, so we’re only looking to work through first names.

On our short list, we have:
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Elisabeth[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] (my husband is keen to name the baby this if she has red hair…)

On our loved but nixed list, we have:
[name]Louisa[/name] (he nixed)
[name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Margit[/name] – despite loving the [name]Margaret[/name] family, all are, sadly, too matchy with the last name
[name]Rosemary[/name] – again, love it, but the ending “mar” clashes with the last name
[name]Josephine[/name] – too popular
[name]Lucy[/name] – again, too popular
[name]Agnes[/name]-- I love it, but just can’t pull off the “ag” sound

while we’d love to get your thoughts on our current list, we’d also love suggestions!

From your list I love [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Vivian[/name] and [name]Elisabeth[/name]! [name]Cecelia[/name] was on my list for a while!

I like your taste in names.
I think any of the following names from your list would be perfect:
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]

[name]Nina[/name] is my top choice for you!

I like [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Esme[/name], and [name]Elizabeth[/name].
Congratulations!

[name]Cecilia[/name] - sweet but nms.
[name]Esme[/name] - love this name not sure how it rings with a [name]German[/name] last name. Would strongly depend on your mn choice.
[name]Helena[/name] - love this name.
[name]Irene[/name] - very sweet. love.
[name]Ingrid[/name] - it’s my aunts name and I’ve never been fond of it. but it will go well with a [name]German[/name] last name.
[name]Elisabeth[/name] - very popular in Germany right now. My Germany cousin just named his daughter this. I think it’s a little safe but beautiful.
[name]Oona[/name] - Think the name is funky not sure I like it as a given name. Could be a cute nn for you husband to call her if she has red hair regardless of what her actual name is. I’d suggest it as a second mn for a ginger girl.

[name]Vera[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] :slight_smile:

Congratulations on her imminent arrival! So exciting! : D. You have great taste! Here are my thoughts and some suggestions:

[name]Nina[/name] - a beautiful name that is universal in appeal. A [name]Nina[/name] could have a sister with just about any name. If she changes her name when she marries [name]Nina[/name] will go with anything. It will go with nearly any middle. It will go well with your surname. A wonderful name.

[name]Edith[/name] - a really cute and appealing name (love [name]Edie[/name]) that feels very Old English and will mesh well with some of this list better than others. [name]Edith[/name] and [name]Irene[/name], [name]Edith[/name] and [name]Vera[/name], [name]Edith[/name] and [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Edith[/name] and [name]Cecilia[/name] all feel like sisters…others maybe less so.

[name]Cecilia[/name] - a classic that will go versatilely with most of the others on this list if you have future daughters. Cici is a cute nn. [name]Silke[/name] if you want to acknowledge the [name]German[/name] heritage that way is another awesome nn.

[name]Esme[/name] - I like this but not as much as most of your others and it feels a lot more modern and French than much of this list. I’d use it if it’s your favorite but otherwise I’d put it away.

[name]Helena[/name] - a wonderful classic with lots of nn options that pairs very well with [name]Cecilia[/name] and [name]Vera[/name] on this list. [name]One[/name] of my favorite names.

[name]Irene[/name] - I have a bad association with this name, so, I should step out. But it feels more old ladyish than the rest - I’d put it with [name]Esme[/name], unless it’s your favorite, pick something else.

[name]Ingrid[/name] - I like [name]Ingrid[/name] and it’s a great name for a [name]German[/name] girl. I don’t know how well it pairs with much of the rest of your taste though if you care about that for future daughters.

[name]Elisabeth[/name] - Can’t go wrong. Classic and so many nicknames. [name]Do[/name] wonder if your last name is long if this is a bit of a mouthful of a name, but it’s still so classic it works.

[name]Vera[/name] - one of my very favorite names ever. I always root for it!

[name]Vivian[/name] - another great name. I do feel like it’s having a bit of a sharp rise right now that might be followed by a sharp fall? [name]Just[/name] worth thinking about it. Still love it

[name]Oona[/name] - I have such a softspot for this name, but I think it is hard to pull off / pair with a more mainstream sister. I think it works by a stretch as a nn for [name]Johanna[/name] (someone once told me they knew an Oana nn for [name]Johanna[/name], and then [name]Oona[/name]'s just one more letter), if you like [name]Johanna[/name].

Suggestions:
[name]Margaret[/name] family + [name]Ingrid[/name] = [name]Greta[/name]? [name]Gretchen[/name]?
[name]Irene[/name] + [name]Agnes[/name] = [name]Iris[/name]?
[name]Lucy[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name] + [name]Oona[/name] = [name]Luna[/name]?
[name]Josephine[/name] + [name]Rosemary[/name] = [name]Rosalie[/name]?
[name]Helena[/name] + [name]Esme[/name] = [name]Elena[/name]?
[name]Agnes[/name] + Ingred = [name]Ines[/name]?
[name]Cecilia[/name] + [name]Rosemary[/name] = [name]Cecily[/name]?
[name]Nina[/name] + [name]Oona[/name] = [name]Anona[/name]?

Good luck!

I have to suggest my own name ([name]Ingrid[/name])! But I also love [name]Louisa[/name]!!! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Esme[/name] and [name]Ingrid[/name]! [name]Esme[/name] is beautiful and feminine and [name]Ingrid[/name] is so unique. Also love [name]Lucy[/name] but not the best name if you’re avoiding the top 100.

From your short list, I like…

[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Elisabeth[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]

Other Suggestions

[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Petra[/name]
[name]Saskia[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Astrid[/name]
[name]Liv[/name]
[name]Britt[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Frida[/name]/[name]Frieda[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]
[name]Johanna[/name]/[name]Hanna[/name]
[name]Carina[/name]
[name]Sigrid[/name]
[name]Minna[/name]
[name]Signy[/name]/[name]Signe[/name]
[name]Sonia[/name]/[name]Sonja[/name]
[name]Thora[/name]
Gudun
[name]Gunilla[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]

I think any of these would work. I especially like [name]Vera[/name] and [name]Oona[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. I believe there’s a story about [name]Oona[/name] born in the caul. Congrats!

I pretty much love all of these! My top five would be [name]Irene[/name], [name]Ingrid[/name], [name]Vera[/name], [name]Vivian[/name] and [name]Helena[/name]. Not sure I could even narrow it down anymore!

I love [name]Ingrid[/name], [name]Elisabeth[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] for you.

I also like [name]Helene[/name], [name]Julie[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name], or [name]Magdalene[/name].

Congratulations on your soon-to-arrive daughter! For her name, here’s a vote for [name]Helena[/name].

I love [name]Cecelia[/name] but [name]Oona[/name] is definitely a cool, unique choice as well as pretty

From your list I love:

[name]Vera[/name]- I was going to [name]Vera[/name] but my parents liked [name]Nora[/name] better!

[name]Ingrid[/name]- [name]Inga[/name] makes a sweet and up beat nickname.

Other ideas:

[name]Britta[/name]

[name]Sonia[/name]/[name]Sonja[/name]

[name]Isla[/name]

[name]Elsa[/name] or [name]Elza[/name]

Congratulations on your little girl!

~ [name]Nora[/name]

Another teen-berry!

I live in [name]Sweden[/name] right now and know several little Veras, so if you want a name that is sort of popular here right now I would lean towards that one. (I also know a few little girls named [name]Agnes[/name] and they pull it off really well!)

From your short list I really like:
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Elisabeth[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]

Good luck!

[name]Nina[/name] my favorite. I find it so versatile. I can picture so many types of women named [name]Nina[/name]. No pronunciation problems. Very simple & sweet. Nini makes me cringe tho…
[name]Edith[/name] pretty, but very grandma. I prefer [name]Edna[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] pretty popular, and I notice you vetoed some for those reasons
[name]Esme[/name] twilight
[name]Helena[/name] pretty, but which of the 3 pronunciations?
[name]Irene[/name] I like [name]Irena[/name] a bit more. Hurricane [name]Irene[/name] does come to mind (but it affected my hometown)
[name]Ingrid[/name] pretty & sophisticated.
[name]Elisabeth[/name] pretty & classic
[name]Vera[/name] I love this. [name]Just[/name] as nice as [name]Nina[/name]. Also travels well, suits many types…and ages better than [name]Nina[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name] pretty
[name]Oona[/name]- love it, but I think of #1

[name]Nina[/name], [name]Vera[/name] & [name]Ingrid[/name] are best imo

On our loved but nixed list, we have:
[name]Louisa[/name] (he nixed) ohhh I love this. [name]Just[/name] plain [name]Lou[/name]?
[name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Margit[/name] – despite loving the [name]Margaret[/name] family, all are, sadly, too matchy with the last name - I had to let go of a lot of R names! If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work…maybe [name]Magdalena[/name], [name]Marlene[/name] or [name]Marjorie[/name]?
[name]Rosemary[/name] – again, love it, but the ending “mar” clashes with the last name- [name]Ramona[/name]?
[name]Josephine[/name] – too popular- [name]Joan[/name], [name]Thomasina[/name], [name]Geraldine[/name]?
[name]Lucy[/name] – again, too popular- [name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]-- I love it, but just can’t pull off the “ag” sound- [name]Anya[/name], [name]Aria[/name], [name]Irma[/name], [name]Alma[/name], [name]Althea[/name]?

I would use [name]Vera[/name] in a heartbeat, but my sister ‘claimed’ it!

My favorites for you:

1. [name]Nina[/name]
  2. [name]Helena[/name]
  3. [name]Elisabeth[/name]
  4. [name]Vera[/name]
  5. [name]Esme[/name]

I’m quite partial to the name [name]Oona[/name]. It’s simple but interesting and not popular at all.