Baby girl name

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone,
We are halfway through our pregnancy and still struggling to find a name we both like for our little baby girl. It seems like we cant agree on most of the names on our list.

There are 3 names that we can agree on but wanted to get an honest opinion here.

We like the names to have a Persian root and a good meaning. Our lastname rhymes with Adam.

1- [name_f]Rumi[/name_f] (pronounces [name_u]Rue[/name_u]-mee): Name of a 13th century Persian mystic and poet which we both love - also Beauty and flow in Japanese. (Unisex name)

2- [name_f]Elara[/name_f] : a moon of planet [name_m]Jupiter[/name_m] - meaning in Persian: beauty of the tribe

3- Shily (pronounces Shy-lee) : meaning in Persian: [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Diamond[/name_f]

I appreciate your honest opinions on how they sound to you and which one is your favourite.

Any suggestions for a middle name or any other name is welcomed.

I’ve never heard of [name_f]Elara[/name_f] before, it’s beautiful! [name_f]Rumi[/name_f] is nice too, but beware that it’s the name of one of Beyoncé’s babies, perhaps it doesn’t bother you at all that many people will make that association? Or perhaps it will rise it popularity?
I honestly don’t know what I think of Shily , it sounds pretty though

[name_f]Elara[/name_f] & [name_f]Rumi[/name_f] are beautiful. Shily I cant get behind, it’s not a bad name I’m just not a fan of most [name_u]Lee[/name_u] ending names. They feel trendy and made up to me.

I agree with PPs, [name_f]Elara[/name_f] and [name_f]Rumi[/name_f] are my favourites as well. I too will warn you that one of Beyoncé’s children is named [name_f]Rumi[/name_f], in case that will bother you. I think Shily sounds pretty enough, but I really don’t care for how it looks.

[name_f]Elara[/name_f] is my favorite! It is gorgeous. It sounds on trend, but it will probably be pretty unique in practice. I would pick [name_f]Elara[/name_f] for sure.

I’ve always liked [name_f]Rumi[/name_f]. Yes, it’s one of [name_f]Beyonce[/name_f]'s babies but it isn’t as notorious as [name_u]Blue[/name_u] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]. I do also like [name_f]Elara[/name_f] but [name_f]Rumi[/name_f] definitely gets my vote.

[name_f]Rumi[/name_f] is really lovely and FWIW, I didn’t know Beyoncé’s daughter (or son?) had that name - as above poster said, I only know [name_u]Blue[/name_u] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f].

[name_f]Elara[/name_f] is very pretty, and it falls within the current mania for ‘a’ ending names ([name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], yadda yadda). I would consider that a strike against it, but that’s just me (I prefer less less elongated final letters).

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any guidelines for a middle name? It’s challenging to come up with one when the rules for the first are very specific but no rules for the middle. If you really have no requirements the sky’s the limit. Is there any family you want to honor via a middle name? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you want a short one, a long one, one the contrasts with [name_f]Rumi[/name_f], or has the same length/sound?

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Elara[/name_f]!! So beautiful and unique!

My favorite from your list is [name_f]Elara[/name_f]!

From your list, [name_f]Elara[/name_f] would be my first choice. Thoroughly lovely!

[name_f]Rumi[/name_f] reminds me of American actress/singer [name_f]Rumer[/name_f] [name_m]Willis[/name_m], and Shily reminds me of American singer/songwriter/actress [name_f]Miley[/name_f] [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m].

Persian suggestions:

[name_f]Darya[/name_f] – “sea, ocean”

Delara – “adorning the heart”

[name_f]Laleh[/name_f] – “tulip”

[name_f]Parisa[/name_f] – “like a fairy”

[name_f]Soraya[/name_f] – “the Pleiades”

[name_f]Zahra[/name_f] – “brilliant, bright”

Source: Behindthename.com

[name_f]Elara[/name_f] is beautiful and exotic without being too inaccessible. My favorite for sure.

Shily sounds nice as shy-lee, but I’d bet people will pronounce it shill-lee (rhyming with [name_f]Lily[/name_f]) if they don’t know.

Thank you so much ladies! That was a great help! I guess the winner is [name_f]Elara[/name_f] and least favourite is Shily. I like both [name_f]Rumi[/name_f] and [name_f]Elara[/name_f] equally and DH prefers [name_f]Elara[/name_f]. We had agreed that I’d choose our first born’s name and it wasn’t easy. Your comments definitely helped me in my decision and I think we’ll go with [name_f]Elara[/name_f] and maybe think about [name_f]Rumi[/name_f] as her middle name. :slight_smile:

Thanks! Yes [name_f]Elara[/name_f] is pretty unique which makes me like it more. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I agree Shily might be mis-pronounced.

I agree [name_f]Rumi[/name_f] is not as notorious as [name_u]Blue[/name_u] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] or Sir :stuck_out_tongue: I would love it with the nn [name_u]Rue[/name_u].

[name_f]Elara[/name_f] [name_f]Rumi[/name_f] is absolutely amazing! Both names have great meaning, and sound bright and fresh. I love that idea.

Yeah I didn’t know about [name_f]Beyonce[/name_f]’s daughter having the same name untill Recently. Its still pretty unique.
For middle name we would prefer something that contrasts with the first name. We dont like very common middle names like rose. We were thinking if we choose [name_f]Rumi[/name_f], we can go with [name_f]Anahita[/name_f] or [name_f]Parisa[/name_f]. For [name_f]Elara[/name_f] we dont have a middle name yet but would like to choose one that would have a meaning of strength or intelligence since her first name is only focusing on beauty. :slight_smile:

Thanks!! I love how you describe it as “bright and fresh”.

Thanks!! !

Thanks for the vote!!!