Baby Girl named Virginia? and my short list...

Hello Nameberry! I’m new to this site and also new to the world of baby names. My husband and I are expecting our first child in [name]July[/name], and just found out that “it” will be a girl. When flipping through baby name books, I found the perfect name: [name]Ella[/name]. However, it has been brought to my attention that it is super popular. I am not quite sure how I feel about this or if it is a deal breaker or not.

Anyway, my second choice for a girl was [name]Virginia[/name]. I do not know why I love this name, I just do. My husband is worried about the potential teasing that comes with this name. What do you all think? Is [name]Virginia[/name] destined to be teased?

Here are the other names on our short list:

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]

Any opinions are welcome, and thank you in advance for your help!

[name]Hi[/name] violet if your name is violet and you have a daughter [name]Virginia[/name] do you mind sharing the same initial?

I like [name]Virginia[/name] and don’t think of the virgin part and I think that the nn of [name]Ginny[/name] is adorable. I am not sure about teasing potential, but the combo of [name]Ella[/name] [name]Virginia[/name] is beautiful.

I think [name]Ella[/name] is one of those names that is a stand out and I can see a blond, vivacious, gregarious and beautiful girl named [name]Ella[/name] and I think that [name]Virginia[/name] gives it just the right balance.

Ultimately you have to decide if [name]Ella[/name] is too popular for your tastes. I have only ever met two though.

You have some beautiful names on your list but if you want your favourites I think [name]Ella[/name] [name]Virginia[/name] is the way to go.

[name]Welcome[/name]!

[name]Alice[/name]- One of my favorite names! it is rising in popularity but a definite classic
[name]Scarlett[/name]- a beautiful name
[name]Phoebe[/name]- Cute and spunky
[name]Juliet[/name]- Beautiful
[name]Clara[/name]- another of my favorite names
[name]Penelope[/name]- love the nn [name]Poppy[/name] for this one
[name]Aria[/name]- okay
[name]Ruby[/name]- cute
[name]Lily[/name]- cute but again pretty popular
[name]Greta[/name]- again one of my absolute favorites
[name]Rose[/name]- [name]Lovely[/name] and pretty popular
[name]Ella[/name]- A lovely name but like you said very very popular # 19 on the ssa list, but if you really love the name, I say go for it
[name]Virginia[/name]- A beautiful name, there is a potential for teasing but I’ve met several [name]Virginia[/name]'s, one in high school right now, and none of them have ever had problems

You have a lovely selection of names here you really can’t go wrong with what ever you choose!

I love [name]Virginia[/name] and it’s nicknames! I’d use it if I never loved [name]Georgia[/name] more

:slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Violet[/name]!

Firstly, let me just say that [name]Ella[/name] is spunky and sweet, charismatic and cute. But, I don’t see a woman with that name - it feels slightly incomplete to me. Then there’s the popularity factor. If you like [name]Ella[/name], though, you could always choose a more interesting name, like [name]Arabella[/name], for your daughter!

[name]Virginia[/name] is one of those names that everyone always worries about teasing with. I mean, it isn’t any surprise that people would be anxious about teasing with a name containing “virgin,” so I feel your pain, so to speak. I can only speak from personal experience, though. In high school a few years back, there were two girls named [name]Virginia[/name]. [name]Both[/name] were very popular, well-liked girls. Neither were particularly feminine - rather, they were quite athletic. One of them, with dark brunette hair, was on my tennis team. She was witty and clever, not necessarily book smart, but a really wonderful, warm person to be around - she always went by [name]Virginia[/name]. The other wasn’t really close with me, but she was a tall - 6 foot! - blond who played basketball and lacrosse. She was mouthy and not the smartest tool in the shed, but she was fun and spirited. She went by [name]Ginny[/name], always. Neither girl was teased for her name in the slightest.

I hadn’t much thought of the name [name]Virginia[/name] until yesterday, actually! I’m in college now working in a clinical research lab, and it is my job to recruit older subjects via phone. Yesterday, I had the pleasure of calling one Miss [name]Virginia[/name], a seventy-year-old woman (yes, she told me!) with a feminine, vivacious voice and what seems like a fun, adventurous personality. She told me I had a beautiful speaking voice, so I automatically like her. Ha!

Now, regarding your short list - [name]Alice[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Aria[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Greta[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Ella[/name], and [name]Virginia[/name] - you have some really great names and some that I personally don’t care for. First, let me eliminate those I don’t care for quite as much…

[name]Scarlett[/name] has never been a favorite of mine. Though it shares the same sound as [name]Charlotte[/name], it somehow loses the sweet, delicate, innocent image of [name]Charlotte[/name] and, in a way, tarnishes it for me. Whereas [name]Charlotte[/name] is crisp and feminine, [name]Scarlett[/name] just lacks a bit of, well, class for me. It sounds vaguely like a very pretty stripper name. Sorry! Though I do like [name]Juliet[/name], I personally prefer the more classic [name]Julia[/name]. Either are lovely, though. [name]Aria[/name] doesn’t do it for me - it seems out of place with your mostly classic choices, and it makes me think of aura. [name]Lily[/name], to me, is like [name]Ella[/name] - short and sweet, feminine and flirty, but altogether lacking in substance. What about [name]Lillian[/name] or [name]Lilia[/name]? [name]Greta[/name] has a bit more of a harsh sound to it, and I think I prefer it as a nickname for [name]Margaret[/name], if you like that. And, I’ve already spoken on [name]Ella[/name], now haven’t I?

From your list, my favorites are [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Clara[/name]. [name]Alice[/name] feels fresh and fun to me despite its decidedly vintage status - it is whimsical and playful, romantic and soft. [name]Lovely[/name]! [name]Clara[/name], too, is a favorite as it reminds me of [name]Clara[/name] [name]Barton[/name], the [name]Red[/name] [name]Cross[/name] nurse who was my childhood hero. I love [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Clare[/name], but [name]Clara[/name] gives it something a tad bit more soft and delicate, more vintage and romantic. [name]Clara[/name] makes me swoon! I’ll just say that [name]Ruby[/name] is sweet and playful, too, but I prefer it as a middle name, personally. It was my great-grandmother’s name ([name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jane[/name]). Also, I do like [name]Penelope[/name], but mostly just for the [name]Poppy[/name] nickname!

I’ve got no clue what your last name is, but let me just say that you have an excellent short list to work with here! If you need more suggestions or want help with combinations, I’d love to help!

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] wanted to say that I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Virginia[/name]!!
[name]Ella[/name] and the other names on your list are lovely as well, but [name]Virginia[/name] is just a real stand-out.
It’s just one of those names that has so much character and spunk to it, but in an understated - not in-your-face - type of way. It sounds timeless and classic, and has a real warmth to it. I like how it is feminine, but not frilly, and how it has a subtleness to it that is at the same time lively and confident. It’s also the kind of name that I think your daughter will really be able to make her own. It’s not common at all, though it is quite familiar and accessible, so most people don’t have strong associations of what a [name]Virginia[/name] “should” be, plus it has a plethora of potential nn’s to suit all different personality types - anything fro [name]Vi[/name] to [name]Nia[/name].
One other plus: it makes me think of the [name]Virginia[/name] associated with the famous letter, “Yes, [name]Virginia[/name], there is a [name]Santa[/name] Clause.”

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Virginia[/name]. I think [name]Ginger[/name] is the cutest nickname. I also love the suggestion of [name]Ella[/name] [name]Virginia[/name], it sounds beautiful. As for your other names…

[name]Alice[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]. One of my favorites.
[name]Scarlett[/name] - the only reservation i have about this name is its lack of attractive nicknames. maybe [name]Lettie[/name].
[name]Phoebe[/name] - so cute.
[name]Juliet[/name] - very romantic and beautiful
[name]Clara[/name] - like [name]Claire[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Clara[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] - pretty name, i am not as crazy about it as other nameberrys
[name]Aria[/name] - not really the same style as your other names, but beautiful nonetheless
[name]Ruby[/name] - not my style
[name]Lily[/name] - gorgeous, it a little popular for my taste
[name]Greta[/name] - surprisingly, i really like this name. it has grown on me
[name]Rose[/name] - beautiful and simple

[name]Alice[/name] - I love it
[name]Scarlett[/name] - nice and sweet
[name]Phoebe[/name] - not my favorite, which is surprising b/c I generally love Greek names.
[name]Juliet[/name] - like it
[name]Clara[/name] - nice
[name]Penelope[/name] - very nice name, I love the sound of it
[name]Aria[/name] - pretty
[name]Ruby[/name] - love it, it’s precious!
[name]Lily[/name] - very cute, I prefer [name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] - my favorite of your list, I simply love it, it’s elegant and sweet
[name]Rose[/name] - love it
[name]Ella[/name] - cute, not really my style
[name]Virginia[/name] - nice, but not my favorite of your list at all
I’d go: [name]Greta[/name] or [name]Alice[/name], prefer [name]Greta[/name], b/c it’s uncommon and really lovely.

I love the name [name]Ella[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]. gorgeous! [name]Ella[/name] is getting popular but it’s still kind of on the rise so I think it’ll be a few years before it’s really huge. You could always do [name]Daniella[/name] and nn [name]Ella[/name].

If you love [name]Ella[/name], you should go for it! Plus, there may not be many Ellas where you live. I do think that [name]Virginia[/name] is a very, very pretty name, but because I know a [name]Virginia[/name] who was teased, I understand your concerns.

If you’re unsure about using [name]Virginia[/name] as a first name, you could always use it as a middle.

[name]Alice[/name]: I love it!
[name]Scarlett[/name]: I love [name]Scarlett[/name], too…
[name]Phoebe[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it!
[name]Juliet[/name]: Oooh…I love [name]Juliet[/name], too!
[name]Clara[/name]: [name]Love[/name]…
[name]Penelope[/name]: [name]Love[/name]…
[name]Aria[/name]: I think it’s pretty…
[name]Ruby[/name]: I love it!
[name]Lily[/name]: I think it’s beautiful…
[name]Greta[/name]: I think it’s a great name!
[name]Rose[/name]: I love [name]Rose[/name] as a first name!
[name]Ella[/name]: I think it’s very pretty…
[name]Virginia[/name]: Pretty…

If [name]Ella[/name] is too popular for you, you may also like [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Mirabel/name, [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], or [name]Arabella[/name].

I love your list so much! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

[name]Virginia[/name] is a very pretty name, but I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole. I know a girl named [name]Virginia[/name] who was teased a lot.
If a girl is bold and sure of herself, she could pull off being named [name]Virginia[/name]. But if she’s a bit shy or slightly nerdy or something like that, then [name]Virginia[/name] could be a real burden. You never know how your kid is going to turn out, so it’s better not to use the name [name]Virginia[/name].

[name]Alice[/name] - love so much
[name]Scarlett[/name] - like a lot
[name]Phoebe[/name] - love a lot
[name]Juliet[/name] - like a lot
[name]Clara[/name] - love so much
[name]Penelope[/name] - I’m crazy about it.
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] - like
[name]Lily[/name] - love
[name]Greta[/name] - this is spunky and different, really like it!
[name]Rose[/name] - love
[name]Ella[/name] - like
[name]Virginia[/name] - love, but would never use it.

[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] nn [name]Calla[/name] or [name]Callie[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] nn [name]Ella[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] - great alternative to [name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] nn [name]Tillie[/name] or [name]Tilda[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name] nn [name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] nn [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name] nn [name]Vivi[/name]