Baby Girl Rory??

My husband and I are expecting our first baby girl
[name]August[/name] 7th! We have a two year old son named Meko. We are having a very hard time thinking of girl names!!! A top name of mine is [name]Rory[/name]. My husband likes it but is in love with the name [name]Charlie[/name]. I posted about that name earlier being spelt [name]Charleigh[/name] or [name]Charlee[/name] and I received mostly negative responses… So I’m just curious what everyone thinks about [name]Rory[/name]!
I would like to use [name]Lark[/name] as a middle name but I don’t think it flows well with [name]Rory[/name]… Any suggestions for first names that go well with middle name [name]Lark[/name]?! Or middle names for [name]Rory[/name]??

Thanks!

[name]Rory[/name] is okay. I prefer [name]Aurora[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name], or [name]Lorelei[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name].

[name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Lark[/name] is pretty.

I like [name]Rory[/name] as a nn, but in general I like it better for a boy. I think [name]Aurora[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name] is adorable! [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Lark[/name] is quite “R” heavy but I do like it a lot.

I’ve always liked [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Lark[/name] as a combo, popular though [name]Sophia[/name] may be. Or [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Lark[/name]? I really like both of those with Meko.

Good luck!

If [name]Rory[/name] keeps a little girl from being named the BOYS name [name]Charlie[/name], horribly spelled to boot, then please name her [name]Rory[/name].

I don’t love [name]Rory[/name] on a girl, but I think it’s fine. I find the name to be quite unisex despite it’s masculine meaning. It’s in my top 3 for a son.

I think [name]Rory[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] is cute.

I like [name]Rory[/name]. I think it’s really cute. I actually associate it more with girls than boys for some reason, maybe because it was the name of the girl on [name]Gilmore[/name] Girls. I also know a little girl named [name]Charlie[/name] too. I tend to like unisex names, but I know a lot of people on this site aren’t crazy about them. If you like it, go for it!

This has always been a boys’ name to me. I don’t think it suits a girl at all. [name]Charlie[/name] is very cute!

I like [name]Rory[/name] as a nn for a girl but think (as I do in most instances) that I’d use a longer first name to give her more options when she is older (something I like about my own name and my daughters names) Otherwise it does seem a little boyish

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name] and [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Lark[/name] sounds lovely. You could always go with [name]Lorelei[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name] though [name]Lorelei[/name] [name]Lark[/name] is extra aliterative, but lovely too. You could also get [name]Rory[/name] from names like [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Rosa[/name], or [name]Victoria[/name]? [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Lark[/name] sounds gorgeous

I’ve only ever known 1 [name]Rory[/name] as it was a boy, but I still find it totally useable for both genders!
I personally love short names, so think it works fine as a name by itself without being a nickname, love it!

[name]Aurora[/name] [name]Lark[/name] is fantastic and I really like [name]Rory[/name] for a girl. I also think that [name]Rory[/name] as a nn for [name]Aurora[/name] is much more feasible/logical than some of the suggestions.

We live in [name]Aurora[/name], Il so I’d feel bad name her that! Buy I do think it’s pretty, if we lived somewhere else :). Thanks for the ideas!

I disagree with this because [name]Rory[/name] is also a boys name! It is an Irish boys name meaning ‘red king’ so there is absolutely nothing feminine about it. [name]Rory[/name] is the anglicised spelling of the Irish name. It is well within the top 200 boys name in the UK (456 boys born in 2010 named [name]Rory[/name]) and it is nowhere to be seen on girls because it is a well accepted BOYS name!

[name]Charlie[/name] is a nickname, although popular on boys (5410 boys/4 girls in 2010/UK) it is well heard of as a girl’s nickname for [name]Charlotte[/name].

[name]Aurora[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name] would be great, but otherwise it’s horrible on a girl but I don’t like [name]Charlie[/name] on a girl either.

Sorry, but I don’t think [name]Rory[/name] works on a girl either. It’s all boy to me.

[name]Rory[/name] is lovely for a girl. I have a friend who’s baby girl is [name]Rori[/name].

[name]Charlee[/name]/[name]Charli[/name] is also nice, I like that too.

[name]Do[/name] you want something short like Meko? Why not [name]Lark[/name] as the first name?
[name]Noa[/name]
[name]Roma[/name]
[name]Nona[/name]
[name]Avis[/name]
[name]Vida[/name]
[name]Tora[/name]
[name]Etta[/name]
[name]Nova[/name]
[name]Zora[/name]

I have a friend [name]Aurora[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name]. I like [name]Lorelai[/name] too, but [name]Lorelai[/name] [name]Lark[/name] is a bit much.

I really like [name]Rory[/name] on girls (I think it’s the Girlmore Girls connection for me, too). I think it works great on both genders, and I like it better than [name]Charlie[/name]/[name]Charlee[/name] on a girl. [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Lark[/name] or [name]Rory[/name] [name]Lark[/name] both sound fine to me, but I like the latter a little more. Best of luck!

My only daughter is named [name_u]Rory[/name_u], as many of you know, so obviously I like it and in the US it’s perfectly appropriate for girls: Last year there were 246 girls named [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and 557 boys, so it’s about 2 to 1 in favor of the boys but well-established for girls.

While I like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] or [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] with [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nickname, it certainly isn’t necessary to go that way. [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is an ancient name that is complete in itself and not a nickname that seems incomplete without a longer form.

My experience as the parent of a [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is that the name can be hard to understand and people always ask you (or your child) to spell it. When my daughter was 4 or 5, she knew a little boy named [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and was NOT amused. But as soon as she hit adolescence, she loved her name. And I’ve asked her if she’d rather be named [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] or [name_f]Flora[/name_f] (another of my favorites) and her answer is a resounding NO.

I can see why [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is out for you if you live in a town called that! [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is fine by me. [name_u]Rory[/name_u] [name_f]Lark[/name_f] is a lot of R but I guess OK. [name_f]Lark[/name_f] is really nice as a first name - I like Meko and [name_f]Lark[/name_f] better as a pairing than Meko and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] for what it’s worth. [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] on a girl I would really rather see as [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] nn [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], are you open to that? I think it’s just better to have the option of a feminine name for something as classically masculine as [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] (I don’t think it’s as critical for [name_u]Rory[/name_u] because people are fairly familiar with the idea that it gets unisex use).

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Lark[/name_f] also isn’t the best flow but it’s OK. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Wren[/name_f] is similar imagery with better flow.

Other thoughts
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]
[name_f]Carly[/name_f] (similar flow to [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] but [name_m]WAY[/name_m] more clearly feminine)
[name_f]Carla[/name_f] nn [name_f]Carly[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] nn [name_f]Carly[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f] nn [name_u]Corey[/name_u], or even just [name_u]Corey[/name_u] would be OK. [name_u]Corey[/name_u] [name_f]Lark[/name_f] sounds good to me ([name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lark[/name_f] is lovely!)
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] nn [name_u]Georgie[/name_u]
Larken
[name_f]Laura[/name_f] nn [name_u]Laurie[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] ([name_u]Robbie[/name_u] or maybe, maybe [name_u]Rory[/name_u]?)
[name_f]Tori[/name_f] - just [name_f]Tori[/name_f] if it’s all you like, or [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tori[/name_f]

This. I think [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] are cute as boyish nicknames for girls but as full names, I’m not a fan. So I would either go with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Lark[/name_f] (or [name_f]Charlize[/name_f] or [name_f]Carlotta[/name_f] [name_f]Lark[/name_f]) with the nickname [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] or [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f], nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u], with a different middle name (maybe [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_f]Wren[/name_f]).