Baby is due any minute

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone
We are expecting our second child, a girl, any minute now and still haven’t found THE name we both like. I feel like I have looked at every name on the planet…
[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I have each got a few names in mind, but nothing sticks out. Maybe you are able to help.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites (in decending order) are:
[name_f]Amaris[/name_f]
[name_f]Margo[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u] (too weird for an actual person?)
[name_f]Irie[/name_f] (also too strange?)
[name_u]Dominique[/name_u]
[name_f]Kaja[/name_f]
[name_f]Maxine[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurine[/name_f]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Robyn[/name_f]

As you can tell, I’m not a fan of “girly” names, i.e. ending in an -a or -i/y sound, even though I’d be happy to give all names a chance. I like names that are somewhat unique but not totally unheard of. What makes matters worse is that the name should be able to be pronounced easily in [name_m]German[/name_m] and [name_f]English[/name_f] (we live in Switzerland, husband is Australian).

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband likes [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] and even though they would fit my brief, I feel like they are either too posh, “[name_f]English[/name_f]/American” or too boring…

Older brother is [name_m]Julius[/name_m], so names with J- or a soft G- for are out. Last names starts with T- so that’s also a no.

What do you think about our names so far (and possible horrible nicknames I haven’t thought of)? Have you got any other suggestions? We are desperate… :see_no_evil:

xx

1 Like

I can’t say anything about pronunciation in [name_m]German[/name_m], but your name list makes me think of:

Angelique
[name_f]Idalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Thelma[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]

My favorites from your lists are [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_u]Indigo[/name_u], and [name_f]Margo[/name_f].

[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] or [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]?

Or Maud/Maude!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Margo[/name_f] (though I would spell it [name_f]Margot[/name_f]) and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] from your list! I live between Australia and NZ and both those names are recognisable but not too common here.

I also adore [name_f]Kaja[/name_f] but you’d probably have to tell people how to pronounce it so they weren’t imagining the wrong name in their heads!

Maxine is nms but I definitely see the appeal and [name_u]Max[/name_u] is a really cute nn.

What about [name_f]Alice[/name_f] or [name_f]Adele[/name_f]?

Augusta
[name_f]Venus[/name_f]
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
[name_f]Maxine[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], iris and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f].

Irie - Wouldn’t this be pronounced “Ee-ree” in [name_m]German[/name_m]? If so, than I would definitely say no because it sounds similar to the world “eerie”!! I think a lot of European languages pronounce -i- as “ee”.

Iris - I like this in the [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciation, but not the [name_m]German[/name_m] pronunciation of “Ee-ris”.

Morgan - too 90’s for me, as I knew many American girls named [name_u]Morgan[/name_u].

Robyn - it’s not a bad name at all, just doesn’t strike me like the others.

Laurine - not bad

My favorites:

1. Margo
  2. Indigo - I have met a young woman named [name_u]Indigo[/name_u], it’s totally fine on an adult! She was a lovely business major and it fit her well.
  3. Dominique
  4. Ingrid
  5. Rosalie
  6. Kaja
  7. Amaris
  8. Maxine
1 Like

I love [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], and [name_f]Maxine[/name_f].

I love the suggestion of [name_f]Ida[/name_f]!

Maybe:

June
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]

I really like [name_f]Maxine[/name_f], [name_f]Margo[/name_f] & [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Maxine[/name_f] goes the best with [name_m]Julius[/name_m].

Irie is sweet. I met a girl named [name_f]Irie[/name_f] once, she wore it well. It does sort of sound like a nickname. [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] nn [name_f]Irie[/name_f]?

I don’t think [name_f]Robyn[/name_f], [name_f]Amaris[/name_f], [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] or [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] go very well with [name_m]Julius[/name_m]. Not that matching is the most important thing, but it does factor in.
[name_f]Amaris[/name_f] - the -ssss sound at the end of both is a bit of a tongue twister, otherwise it is beautiful. maybe [name_f]Amara[/name_f]?
[name_f]Robyn[/name_f] - seems a wee bit common to match well with brothers name.
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u] - same as [name_f]Robyn[/name_f], it also sounds very masculine against [name_m]Julius[/name_m].
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u] - maybe a bit much. But really sweet for a middle name?? I’m all for funky names but it would make more sense if her brother was [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] or [name_u]Ocean[/name_u].

What about:
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Winona[/name_f]
Lowy (LOee) - i just like the sound. not sure on the spelling or pronunciation issues.
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Lore[/name_f]
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]

good luck! I hope you find the perfect name!!

Rosalie would be very nice.

My first thought was [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. But when I got to your son’s name, [name_m]Julius[/name_m] would pair really well with [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]. So I’m a +1 for [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], an awesome choice.

1 Like

My favourite name from your list is Maxine and I think that it fits your sons name really well!
I also like Amaris but I thought that I would point out that Julius and Amaris end in similar sounds. (This isn’t necessarily a bad thing)

What about…

[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]
[name_f]Indra[/name_f]
[name_f]Arielle/Ariel[/name_f] (nickname - Ari)
[name_f]Kalani[/name_f]
[name_f]Scout[/name_f]
[name_f]Amabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilo[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] (nickname Rosie/Rosa)

Margo feels like a great choice.

I’ll also suggest [name_f]Nadine[/name_f]

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] and [name_u]Indigo[/name_u], but I’m really not a fan from [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]. At least not in german, there is the „gr“ to hard for my taste.

Other suggetions:
Ilea
[name_u]Malin[/name_u]
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariel[/name_f]

1 Like

I’d suggest:

Edith
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_u]Raven[/name_u]
[name_u]Azure[/name_u]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_u]Echo[/name_u]
[name_f]Irene[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_u]Calypso[/name_u]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_u]Snow[/name_u]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]

I like [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f].
I suggest:
[name_f]Irina[/name_f]
[name_f]Hedda[/name_f]
Zhara
[name_f]Katya[/name_f]
[name_f]Mieke[/name_f]
Doreta

Absolutely LOVE the name [name_f]Margo[/name_f]! Would be difficult to have a nickname for it, since it’s already sort of a nickname in itself (other than [name_f]Marge[/name_f] or [name_f]Mari[/name_f])

Names like [name_f]Amaris[/name_f] ([name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Mari[/name_f], [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_u]Risa[/name_u]) and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] are also beautiful, and also sound great with the name [name_m]Julius[/name_m].

Margo [name_f]Florence[/name_f], as your top name ends with the same sound as your sons name. I like them together and with your sons name. A name from each of your lists and I think [name_f]Margo[/name_f] is ok in many languages.

My favourites are [name_f]Amaris[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], and [name_f]Margo[/name_f]. Maybe you would like…

Amelie
[name_f]Auria[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Annora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]