Baby is here and we need help/advice!!

With our first son, we had a list but knew as soon as we saw him what his name was. At 2, its perfect.

We hoped the same would happen with our second baby, but we don’t love anything and nothing seems right.

We need to name him, its been going on for too long. So I really need advice. [name]How[/name] do you decide when nothing feels right?

We have already done the “have the toddler pull a name out of a hat” thing and it doesn’t stick.

Please help!

What are some names you are considering and why do you like them or not like them? This might help narrow the list or come up with one that works well.

My husband wants to name him [name]Archer[/name]. I want to name him [name]Oliver[/name]. Neither of us likes the others. I don’t honestly hate [name]Archer[/name], its ok, but I don’t love it. The nicknames [name]Archie[/name] and [name]Ace[/name] are better. The name has to have a good nickname or natural shorter version, that’s really important to me.

Other alternates are [name]Bodhi[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name], followed closely by [name]Rafferty[/name], [name]Keaton[/name], [name]Beckett[/name]. There are others on our radar also, like [name]Theodore[/name], [name]James[/name] and [name]Nolan[/name]. Some I like more than my husband, and vice versa. We don’t love any, and none of them feel like his name.

:’(

I’ve tried so hard to find just the right name, and it just doesn’t seem to exist for this guy. Now that he is here, we need to just pick one and its kind of heartbreaking to have to pick something that doesn’t seem right, but the time has come. I just don’t know how to choose.

We thought we had decided on [name]Charlie[/name] (neither of us like [name]Charles[/name], so it would be just [name]Charlie[/name]) while I was pregnant, and again shortly after he was born. However, we discovered that its one of the “fastest rising” girls names and that really turned us both off. I am very against unisex names, especially for boys. So that was really frustrating.

We also thought we had decided on [name]Rafferty[/name] for a short time, and [name]Bodhi[/name], as well. But nothing felt right, so we never stuck with it.

In 2011, there were almost 7000 boys names [name]Charles[/name], many of whom will presumably go by [name]Charlie[/name]. There were also 1500 boys named [name]Charlie[/name]. Compare that to under 1000 girls named [name]Charlie[/name] (including variant spellings). I wouldn’t worry about it. [name]Charlie[/name] is a good, solid boys name, and if you both like it, why give it up just because girls are using it, too? The “boys names on girls” trend has been around for a long time. For example, [name]John[/name] was on the Top 1000 girls name list in the US until 1988, and there are still girls being born with the name. [name]Charlie[/name] will continue to be a viable name for boys as long as parents of boys keep using it. :slight_smile:

I love the current list you have. [name]Charlie[/name] is lovely but I get what you mean, it’s to bad that it’s going to the girls. I love [name]Oliver[/name] too, it’s to bad that your husband doesn’t. [name]Rafferty[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] are also lovely.

What about…

[name]August[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Reid[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]

Anything jumping out at you?

Yes, good point, but there are thousands of [name]Charlotte[/name]'s out there, many of which also go by [name]Charlie[/name].

[name]Every[/name] young [name]Charlotte[/name] I know goes by [name]Charlie[/name]. Therein lies the problem.

Well, it’s a shame to let a good name go just because girls are using it, too.

I would go with [name]Rafferty[/name], then. It’s relatively rare for either sex.

If your husband likes [name]Archer[/name] and you like [name]Oliver[/name], you should find a away to agree on either name if it’s what you picture the baby to be. Maybe name him [name]Archer[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] or [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Archer[/name], that way you both get to use the name you think fits.

I vote for [name]Archer[/name] or [name]Theodore[/name]. Of course, YOU have to love the name and feel it suits your son. Here are more suggestions - a mix of styles:

[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Zachary[/name]
[name]Baxter[/name]
[name]Anthony[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]

P.S. Here are some more:

[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Garth[/name]
[name]Stefan[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Sylvan[/name]

[name]One[/name] of my best friends has a little boy named [name]Beckett[/name], and I really like that name. It’s not very frequently used, but not hard to spell or pronounce, and I think Becks/Bex are cute nickname choices (and thanks to [name]David[/name] [name]Beckham[/name], quite masculine-sounding).

What is brothers name? That helps with coming up with a coordinating name/ similar style. Sorry you are having so much trouble…been there done that…no fun at all!good luck!!

Sorry I should have added that. The middle is a family name and is set, so we can’t do the you pick the first, I’ll pick the middle thing.

And big brother is [name]Liam[/name]. I feel like we have seen every name out there, so I just thought I’d see if anyone had any words of advice for how to choose.

Thanks all!

I hope you find a name for your baby boy soon. Maybe push for [name]Oliver[/name] if you really love it. I think [name]Oliver[/name] goes great with [name]Liam[/name].

My nephew is a [name]Liam[/name].
Names they were considering for baby #2 (turned out to be a girl) were

[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Holden[/name]

Some more:
Whelan
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]

Okay I think [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] is so handsome!

Or
[name]Archer[/name] is not my favourite but it makes a good middle name.

[name]Bodhi[/name] [name]Nolan[/name] very beachy
[name]Keaton[/name] [name]Archer[/name] is cool and handsome
[name]Theo[/name] [name]Beckett[/name] handsome and trendy modern vibe I like it a lot
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Keaton[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name] [name]Owen[/name] what a scalliwag he will be
[name]Jules[/name] [name]Rafferty[/name] or [name]Julian[/name] [name]Rafferty[/name] love this debonair name
[name]Jamison[/name] [name]Archer[/name]

Maybe one of these is the [name]ONE[/name]!

rollo

PS So the middle name is set? What is it? I think we need a three name combo to get a great match.

I looked back and saw that on your other threads you were between [name]Charlie[/name] (planning on calling him [name]Huck[/name], if I recall) and [name]Bodhi[/name]. I voted [name]Bodhi[/name] on those polls, so I definitely like that for you. If that’s not the one, what about [name]Brody[/name]? It’s similar in tone to both [name]Bodhi[/name] and [name]Liam[/name], and you can still get [name]Bo[/name] out of it. And if you were planning to call [name]Charlie[/name] by the name [name]Huck[/name] anyway, why not something like [name]Huxley[/name] to get to it.

A common husband/wife divider: He probably thinks [name]Archer[/name] is cooler and more masculine because it has harder sounds; [name]Oliver[/name] makes you swoon because it has softer sounds. What about [name]Asher[/name]?
If you consider history, usage, etc., [name]Oliver[/name] is more consistent with [name]Liam[/name] than [name]Archer[/name] is. If you run [name]Oliver[/name] through an algorithm-generated “sibling name” tool on anther website, [name]Liam[/name] is actually one of the matches; [name]Archer[/name] generates sibling names like [name]Hudson[/name], [name]Mason[/name], [name]Zander[/name]… a totally different style. This tool is based on tons of research and data, so really it is not just a matter of taste or opinion-- your choice has some objectivity behind it!
You’re so right that neither of you should have to settle for a name that you don’t love, but maybe husband could consider your suggestion in a new light and begin to love it more based on the above? Or, even though you feel as though you’ve seen every name, one may suddenly strike you both in a new way… [name]Calvin[/name], [name]Jude[/name], [name]Theo[/name], [name]Brody[/name]? As far as I know, you don’t have to pressure yourselves to meet any deadline but can wait until you both feel right about it.