Baby Name Almost Disaster

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there!

We had our son almost three months ago, and we gave him a name about a week after he was born, but we basically only chose the name because we figured changing it would be as easy as not giving him one in the hospital. They would’ve put “Baby Boy” on the birth certificate.

We went with [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] with the intention of calling him “Rory” or “Theo” as a nickname for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. [name_u]James[/name_u] is more of just a place holder, and my DH loves the option of “JT” down the road, but we both don’t want him to go by [name_u]James[/name_u]. Also, we got a couple of sarcastic comments about the name [name_u]Rory[/name_u] from family members. Comments like “it sounds more like an onomatopoeia than a name” or “i just think of [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] girls” or “it’s very… unusual.”That was literally the only name my husband and I both liked, but we both wanted him to go by something more formal, and while it is a stretch, we felt [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] fit the bill.

Any thoughts? Should we stick with [name_u]Rory[/name_u]? I really like [name_u]Theo[/name_u] too, but maybe it is too common? The only other option is to scrap it completely and go with [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] nn “Wes.”

1 Like

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you not like [name_m]Ted[/name_m] or [name_m]Todd[/name_m]? for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] I mean. I would say stick with [name_u]Rory[/name_u] because the family opinions don’t actually matter and eventually the kid becomes so much of a person you just associate [name_u]Rory[/name_u] with him. I think [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] should probably be the first name since that’s what you plan to use and [name_u]James[/name_u] has no significance.

4 Likes

I agree

I love [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nickname for Theodore!! If you love it so much I wouldn’t change it, family/friends will get used to it as they get to know him :blue_heart:

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I also agree about [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u], or switching [name_u]James[/name_u] for a more meaningful middle

I would definitely just make his first name Theodore. That way it’s much less confusing than him going by a nickname of his middle name. I am also partial to Wesley Laurence as a back up!

1 Like

I love Rory,I think you should stick with it,I also suggest to not give him [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] as first name ,it’s my cousins name and he was bullied in school because some kid thought that it sounded like the word door and the then the whole class started calling him door,children can be very ,very imaginative,some didn’t even wanna be friends with him because of that,he now goes by Todd,I think [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] would be very cute,I love the nn [name_m]Wes[/name_m]

I would stick with [name_u]Rory[/name_u]!

Your family members got there opportunity to name its now yours so call your baby what you want if that’s [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] ‘Rory’ then go for it overall such a lovely name. I think [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] makes more sense if you will be using [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] nicknames but honestly that doesn’t really matter stick with what you love.

Congrats on the new arrival

2 Likes

I love the idea of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] “Rory”. [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is a wonderful name

If [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is The One for you both, I’d say keep it. I love [name_u]Rory[/name_u], and I like that there are so many ways to get to [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nn, though I would actually use it on its own. This baby miiiight get to be [name_u]Rory[/name_u] if he’s a boy and born with red hair :blush:

I also love [name_u]James[/name_u], but it does seem odd to put [name_u]James[/name_u] up front if you don’t want him using it. Did you like the flow better? Better with your surname? Because Dad likes JT? TJ is not that different if you want to swap the names, but [name_u]James[/name_u] is so common as a middle that I actually like it better as a first.

4 Likes

Thats an incredible coincidence! [name_f]My[/name_f] sons name is also [name_u]James[/name_u] Theodore!!!

If you like [name_u]Rory[/name_u], go with it - ultimately, it is your child and its not up to other people what to call him- they can address him by what they want when they are speaking to him but if you like [name_u]Rory[/name_u], you shouldn’t let your family change that!

That said, [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] is so handsome - but [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (and I am biased here :joy") is absolutely perfect!

Best of luck :heart:

We have a friend with a little boy called [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and it suits him so much, I’ve never heard of any negative opinions about the name [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and actually I know someone else who recently had a baby and called him [name_u]Rory[/name_u]! We’re in the UK, not sure where you are but it’s a fairly normal name here. I would just go with [name_u]Rory[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], I don’t think [name_u]Rory[/name_u] works as a nn for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] personally and if you like the name, and don’t like [name_u]James[/name_u], just call him [name_u]Rory[/name_u], it’s definitely a standalone name.

[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is brilliant. I love that it is a name he can grow into and that he has the option of a professional and distinguished name as well as sweet nicknames

I also love [name_u]Rory[/name_u] for a boy. It was one of our contenders to honour [name_u]Roy[/name_u] and [name_m]Leroy[/name_m] ! However my son’s best friend just had a baby brother named [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and my husbands best friend now has a niece [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. If you love [name_u]Rory[/name_u] that’s what you call him! I think [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is a great nickname for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m].

I also love [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] and feel like that maybe the less “popular” name but go with what you love!

I would use [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] as a first name if I were you, it just makes more sense. Your family members will warm up to [name_u]Rory[/name_u] once they realize how much they love your son.

I love [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] and [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. I would reco switching [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_u]James[/name_u], so his name is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]. Personally I like when different ppl have different nicknames for me, and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] has a lot of options. So if a family member doesn’t like [name_u]Rory[/name_u], they can call him [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] or [name_u]Theo[/name_u].