Baby name Mooney?

I recently saw the movie The [name_f]Florida[/name_f] Project. I was so inspired by the character Mooney in the film. I’m not having a baby but I am considering adding this name to my list on my phone. What are your thoughts? What are some good boy and girl sibling names for Mooney? The name is pronounced “[name_f]Moon[/name_f]-eee”.

Hmmm… it has an appealing sound, but I don’t think it would age well. Not only is it very cutesy, but I can’t help but think of “mooning someone.” I’ve taken the mn [name_f]Moon[/name_f] off my list for the same reason.

3 Likes

Mooney seems like a boys’ nickname to me, probably because of [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] ([name_u]Lupin[/name_u]’s name in the Marauders is Mooney). I would be very surprised to meet a little girl Mooney, and would think it to be a nickname and not a given name.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but I can only think about “money”. It sounds nice, though. What about the spellings Moonie or Moony? Perhaps, [name_f]Moon[/name_f] with the nickname Mooney?

1 Like

I haven’t seen the movie so I don’t know the character, but just as a name itself I would use it as a nn. Maybe for [name_f]Luna[/name_f] or [name_f]Selena[/name_f]?
Or maybe you would like [name_u]Rooney[/name_u]? It has a similar sound but it does lose the reference to the character.

1 Like

I’m also not a huge fan of Mooney, I’m sorry. I think [name_f]Moon[/name_f], whether as a first or middle, with the nickname Moonie/Mooney is a better option! I also like the idea of using it as a nickname for a name that means moon instead!

1 Like

It sounds like some kind of insulting nickname to me. Sorry.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen the movie but I remember reading about it because the movie won so many awards, and I remember thinking how much [name_f]Moonee[/name_f] made me think of “mooning” someone. As in, showing your butt. Aside from that, it makes me think of a character on Grown-ish named [name_m]Cash[/name_m] Mooney whose name is obviously supposed to be a joke. It’s not for me, sorry, but I’ve known a little girl with the middle name [name_f]Moon[/name_f] so I think that could absolutely work, maybe even as a first name.

1 Like

I can only think about the word “Money”.

I think it would make a great nickname for something like [name_f]Luna[/name_f] or [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]!

It’s a definite no from me, sorry.

This is what “moony” means to me (UK):

:grimacing:

I think this is also a term here - we sometimes refer to it as a “blue moon” too. There’s a scene in the movie Grease (1978) that has the song [name_u]Blue[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f] playing in the background while three of the T-Birds moon the camera at the school dance and that’s quite honestly all I can think of when I hear “moon” or “mooney”. :grimacing:

I’d kindly advise against it!

Mooney is unfortunately not my favorite. It reminds me of mooning someone, as well as someone acting ditsy and silly.

Not my style. To me Mooney sounds too much like a surname, plus it has that unfortunate slang meaning as other posters have mentioned.

I agree with regionlatbest

[name_f]Moon[/name_f] nickname Mooney would be better

I do however see this getting picked on. Mean kids would defintely start mooing

I much prefer [name_u]Rooney[/name_u] to Mooney

1 Like

I just saw the [name_f]Florida[/name_f] Project too! Mooney is a great character & I thought it was a cute name too, but I thought her name was [name_f]Moon[/name_f] and her mom just called her Mooney as a nickname. I don’t know about teasing potential; it doesn’t seem super obvious to me that kids would come up the mooning thing. In the US, we don’t say “pulling a mooney”. Idk I never thought about that during the movie. It’s outside the box, whimsical, kinda hippie/boho, but I thought it was cute too. You could also add [name_f]Luna[/name_f] to the list. It’d be a cute nickname for [name_f]Luna[/name_f], since it means moon. Although to be honest I think [name_f]Moon[/name_f] or Mooney sounds cuter than [name_f]Luna[/name_f] anyway.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I saw that movie recently too, & totally loved the character. Which of course makes the name super cute, right? I would have thought it was weird having not seen the movie. So, I think it’s sweet! But [name_f]Moon[/name_f] nn Mooney is kind of better. [name_f]Moon[/name_f] is out there, but it’s a nature word w/a nice imagery like any other word name ([name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_u]Sky[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u], etc.). I wonder if it could be a nn for something else? [name_u]Dominique[/name_u]? Is that a stretch? [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]? [name_f]Maureen[/name_f]?! I like that one. I think even maybe [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] would work.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, but I just can’t like this name. It reminds me of money and of “mooning” around (like loitering). It would be really hard in real life :frowning:

I can only think about money sorry…