Baby name Mooney?

I recently saw the movie The [name_f]Florida[/name_f] Project. I was so inspired by the character Mooney in the film. I’m not having a baby but I am considering adding this name to my list on my phone. What are your thoughts? What are some good boy and girl sibling names for Mooney? The name is pronounced “[name_f]Moon[/name_f]-eee”.

Hmmm… it has an appealing sound, but I don’t think it would age well. Not only is it very cutesy, but I can’t help but think of “mooning someone.” I’ve taken the mn [name_f]Moon[/name_f] off my list for the same reason.

3 Likes

Mooney seems like a boys’ nickname to me, probably because of [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] ([name_u]Lupin[/name_u]’s name in the Marauders is Mooney). I would be very surprised to meet a little girl Mooney, and would think it to be a nickname and not a given name.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but I can only think about “money”. It sounds nice, though. What about the spellings Moonie or Moony? Perhaps, [name_f]Moon[/name_f] with the nickname Mooney?

1 Like

I haven’t seen the movie so I don’t know the character, but just as a name itself I would use it as a nn. Maybe for [name_f]Luna[/name_f] or [name_f]Selena[/name_f]?
Or maybe you would like [name_u]Rooney[/name_u]? It has a similar sound but it does lose the reference to the character.

1 Like

I’m also not a huge fan of Mooney, I’m sorry. I think [name_f]Moon[/name_f], whether as a first or middle, with the nickname Moonie/Mooney is a better option! I also like the idea of using it as a nickname for a name that means moon instead!

1 Like

It sounds like some kind of insulting nickname to me. Sorry.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen the movie but I remember reading about it because the movie won so many awards, and I remember thinking how much [name_f]Moonee[/name_f] made me think of “mooning” someone. As in, showing your butt. Aside from that, it makes me think of a character on Grown-ish named [name_m]Cash[/name_m] Mooney whose name is obviously supposed to be a joke. It’s not for me, sorry, but I’ve known a little girl with the middle name [name_f]Moon[/name_f] so I think that could absolutely work, maybe even as a first name.

1 Like

I think it would make a great nickname for something like [name_f]Luna[/name_f] or [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]!

It’s a definite no from me, sorry.

This is what “moony” means to me (UK):

:grimacing:

I think this is also a term here - we sometimes refer to it as a “blue moon” too. There’s a scene in the movie Grease (1978) that has the song [name_u]Blue[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f] playing in the background while three of the T-Birds moon the camera at the school dance and that’s quite honestly all I can think of when I hear “moon” or “mooney”. :grimacing:

I’d kindly advise against it!

Not my style. To me Mooney sounds too much like a surname, plus it has that unfortunate slang meaning as other posters have mentioned.

I agree with regionlatbest

[name_f]Moon[/name_f] nickname Mooney would be better

I do however see this getting picked on. Mean kids would defintely start mooing

I much prefer [name_u]Rooney[/name_u] to Mooney

1 Like

I just saw the [name_f]Florida[/name_f] Project too! Mooney is a great character & I thought it was a cute name too, but I thought her name was [name_f]Moon[/name_f] and her mom just called her Mooney as a nickname. I don’t know about teasing potential; it doesn’t seem super obvious to me that kids would come up the mooning thing. In the US, we don’t say “pulling a mooney”. Idk I never thought about that during the movie. It’s outside the box, whimsical, kinda hippie/boho, but I thought it was cute too. You could also add [name_f]Luna[/name_f] to the list. It’d be a cute nickname for [name_f]Luna[/name_f], since it means moon. Although to be honest I think [name_f]Moon[/name_f] or Mooney sounds cuter than [name_f]Luna[/name_f] anyway.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I saw that movie recently too, & totally loved the character. Which of course makes the name super cute, right? I would have thought it was weird having not seen the movie. So, I think it’s sweet! But [name_f]Moon[/name_f] nn Mooney is kind of better. [name_f]Moon[/name_f] is out there, but it’s a nature word w/a nice imagery like any other word name ([name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_u]Sky[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u], etc.). I wonder if it could be a nn for something else? [name_u]Dominique[/name_u]? Is that a stretch? [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]? [name_f]Maureen[/name_f]?! I like that one. I think even maybe [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] would work.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, but I just can’t like this name. It reminds me of money and of “mooning” around (like loitering). It would be really hard in real life :frowning:

I can only think about money sorry…