Baby Name Regret ?

I just saw an article on Livingly that really made me think. If a lot of parents regret their baby’s name within the first 6 weeks of baby’s life, maybe it’s best to wait a while before selecting a name! Baby Names That Parents Wish They Hadn't Used - Livingly

What Name if any Have You Regretted Using?

These names were the most regretted names in their survey… :o

[name_u]Alex[/name_u]
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Anne[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]
[name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Anthony[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_f]Megan[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Sally[/name_f]

I don’t have children yet, but I think there could be a deeper issue at play here than “the name just didn’t sound right or is too popular.” Lots is going on in the way of hormonal changes, not to mention a strenuous birth and then boom! [name_m]New[/name_m] family unit to adjust to, in addition to juggling visitors and finding a new normal. Plus…lack of sleep. Other reasons could be that they felt pressured at some point to use one name, when they really wanted to use another or one parent had to submit because they couldn’t agree. So…I don’t know.

All of the names on the list are perfectly fine names.

Thanks for posting this @mickie86.
[name_u]Baby[/name_u] name Regret is happening quite a lot and it must be pure anguish to go through this experience. I will be interested to hear from mothers to have been there or like myself nearly.
With daughter of our twins, I had a few names from Nameberry ready, I think [name_f]Romilly[/name_f], -yes, birth is a big experience -and I can’t even remember the other two names today, but a short time before the birth we opted for the safer [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] which also allowed us to choose our personal shorter name and thank goodness it’s worked out fine.
As @namegirl3 says all the names on the list are perfectly fine and if you like them it’s hard to imagine why they become wrong.

• When there has been some dispute/ uncertainty, or the name is ‘a bit too out there’ would be reasons I would think, but the article says-
    ” A quarter of the time, this regret stems from thinking the name is too common” -and then, a significant number think they just feel wrong. “
    Looking forward to hearing others’ thoughts.

Some months ago I read a similar article about the same thing in Germany, which also had a list of the most regretted names. I had the same impression then that I have now about this one: The most commonly regretted names are just the most common names. I assume regretting a name is mostly unrelated to what name it is.

I guess it’s more about the reason why you chose a name, like if someone talked you out of using your favourite, or if you couldn’t agree on one and settled on a compromise nobody’s really happy with.