Baby name = toliet company. Deal break? :(

Since choosing [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] for our baby girl my husband and I have noticed that toliets and urinals in public restrooms are sometimes made by a company called [name_u]Sloan[/name_u].

Is this a deal breaker? Kind of weird, right? I don’t want people to associate her name with toliets.

My first reaction was to ignore it. What do you think?

It’s just not a pretty name to me… I associate it with the words “slow” and “slovenly.” And also that moan/groan sound. Sorry! [name_m]Just[/name_m] my reaction to it! Maybe the toilet company inspired my distaste for it!

I wasn’t aware this was a toilet company, and would likely only notice this if I was close to someone named [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]. I also live close to the large cancer center [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]-Kettering, and people here just call it [name_u]Sloane[/name_u], so I think of that, but I’m assuming outside of the metro NY area that wouldn’t be an association.

I just doubt people will hear her name and think “like the toilet company?” Unless they’re a plumber or something. I’d keep it if that’s your only issue with it.

Thanks for the feedback!

I don’t think most people could even name the brand of their own toilet. I have a weird early memory from elementary school when I was learning to read and one day realized the paper towel dispenser had the word “[name_m]Scott[/name_m]” — the name of a boy in my class. [name_m]Even[/name_m] as a kid I thought it was an interesting coincidence, not something that reflected on my classmate at all.

… Which is the long way of saying I think you should totally use it. It’s not a strong association, and it’s not like some other products or companies where people might wonder if that was your inspiration.

I didn’t know that there was a [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] toilet maker and don’t think others will either. [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] is totally usable.

Thanks for this. I hadn’t thought of the [name_m]Scott[/name_m] paper products at all…and people still use the name [name_m]Scott[/name_m].

I think I just got worried the more urinals my husband saw and told me about lol