Baby Naming Anxiety!

This is our 3rd and last baby, a girl. I find a silly problem with all off the names I initially love. I’m having such anxiety naming this baby. These are the names I like and the issues I have them. What’s my problem?

[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] - I was sure before we found out gender that this was her name. I love it but I can’t get passed it being a short, one syllable name.

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - great name, more than one syllable but I have a problem with the “bl” sound.

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] - just love the age and class of this name, but is it too old sounding? I almost named my daughter this name but then lost my courage!

[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - my current favorite, but I have my doubts about the d at the end, even though it’s soft. I do not like the [name_f]Rosalyn[/name_f] variation.

[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is one of my very favorite names. Why does it being short bother you? I actually really like short names, as long as they aren’t nicknames for a longer name.

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is a great name, and I don’t think it is too old sounding. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] has a bit of a more current feel to it if you’re looking for something slightly newer sounding.

I think [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is a great name too. I do think you’ll end up with a nickname for it, so I’d plan ahead if you use it. The “d” doesn’t bother me at all.

I personally think [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] sounds harsh and am not a fan.

Hmm, maybe…

[name_f]Maeva[/name_f]
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Maple[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]

Oh, I love all of them, particularly [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]!

[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] I particularly love for its brevity and lovely sound. It’s short, sweet and spunky with a great mythological background.

I don’t see [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] as being to old fashioned at all, I think it fits right in with all the popular classics like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] etc. The nickname [name_f]Bee[/name_f] or [name_f]Bea[/name_f] gives a bit more of a modern and funky feel, too. I also echo @bettina2’s suggestion of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] if that helps you with the “old fashioned” feeling you get from [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f].

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is very sweet and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] very beautiful and stately … I don’t think you could go wrong with either of these.

I think [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] are great names. Why does the one syllable of [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] bother you? Is your surname one syllable? If so then, while of course it’s not a problem if you love the name and it otherwise goes, I would use this as a reason to cross it off.

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], as a pp has said, is more upbeat than [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. I do prefer [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], but both are good. They are quite current now so I wouldn’t worry about feeling old-fashioned. I’m not a fan of [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] at all - the bull sound puts me off too. [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is nice enough, I just prefer [name_f]Rose[/name_f] to the other variations. I agree [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] with a d is much nicer than without. Is [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] an option? Would she mostly be called [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]?

Maybe you just haven’t found the right name yet?

I’m a great fan of [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] and I do prefer this spelling too. I love that it means beautiful rose and that it’s Shakespearean. :slight_smile: I am not really a fan of [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] (I prefer [name_f]Amabel[/name_f]), but if you really don’t want bl sound then maybe it’s not it?

I second the suggestion of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], if you’re still not sure with [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is definitely more upbeat.

And if you’re not sure about [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] because it’s one syllable, how about [name_f]Maeva[/name_f]?

I think enjoying the sound of the name is very important–and what matters is how the sounds of the names feel to YOU–so I am just going to say that I think [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] would work very well for a baby born in 2017. I think it fits in nicely with other vintage revivals. I have always loved this name-- and there is the potential for some very cute nicknames.

I love all of these names, and ended up calling my daughter [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. The fact that it’s a short one syllable name is one of the things I love about it. It bucks most of the girl name trends in my area - names that often start with a vowel, end with a vowel, and are usually two syllables.

I love [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]! [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] fits my personal style most, but they are all beautiful.

You all are so grea and just reading these positives, the reasons I loved the names in the first place, is very helpful.

I do like [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] but I don’t like the nickname [name_f]Trix[/name_f] so I think I’d go with [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] if I did this one. Before I had kids, this was my fantasy daughter’s name but I made the mistake of mentioning it to a close friend and she ripped it apart and it made me lose my courage when I had my first daughter. It is a beautiful name!

My other kids’ names have 3 syllables, that’s my reservation with [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] is perfect, but we have an [name_f]Ada[/name_f] in the family and it feels like it clashes too much.

You all gave me a lot of good positives to think about with all these names and I really feel my courage coming back for [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. I have lurked on nameberry for 3 pregnancies and everyone is so helpful. Thanks so much!

I think you can pick a first and middle out of your favorites if you want.

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

Have you considered [name_f]Maribel[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]?

Oh please use [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]! It’s beautiful and substantial. (I do also really like [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]).

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Betty[/name_f] ?

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalyn[/name_f] are adorable and totally usable! I would totally use [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]! nn [name_f]Bea[/name_f], nn [name_f]Bee[/name_f], nn [name_u]Tris[/name_u], even nn [name_f]Tricia[/name_f] are options or just plain [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

I agree with the issues you expressed for [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f].

All three are lovely!

[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] ~ Short but strong and romantic (to me mostly b/c of her meaning) all in one!

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] ~ Wonderful meaning. Never been a favorite of mine but I’d love to meet a little [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f].

[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] ~ Very beautiful, great meaning. Have you considered [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f]? It’s the medieval form of [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] and has the same meaning.

I think my favorite is [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] closely followed by [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] but you can’t really go wrong! Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]! :slight_smile:

How did I miss Mabel? Probably because she’s my least favorite from the group. There is nothing wrong with her I just can’t see the appeal I suppose.

If you like [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] but not the nn [name_f]Trix[/name_f], why not have her nn be [name_f]Bea[/name_f]? Also similar in sound to [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] (a favorite of mine!), [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Analise[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f]

A possible alternative to [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] – how about [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f]? [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] this name and think it’s so ready for a comeback! Or [name_f]Meryl[/name_f], [name_f]Muriel[/name_f], [name_f]Maelle[/name_f], [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], [name_f]Beryl[/name_f]…

Possible alternative to [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] – how about [name_f]Maude[/name_f] or [name_f]Mavis[/name_f]?

I [name_f]ADORE[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]. You don’t like [name_f]Rosalyn[/name_f], but perhaps [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], or something with a similar sound such as [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Belinda[/name_f], [name_f]Elin[/name_f], [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], [name_f]Helen[/name_f], [name_f]Melinda[/name_f]?

Other names you might like: [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Zilla[/name_f], [name_f]Velma[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], [name_f]Vesta[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f], [name_f]Rowena[/name_f], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Renata[/name_f], [name_f]Regina[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Nona[/name_f], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Lorna[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], [name_f]Leona[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]/[name_f]Liza[/name_f], [name_f]Edna[/name_f], [name_f]Eda[/name_f]/[name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Calista[/name_f], [name_f]Audra[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f]

They are all very old-ladyish

Did you use old fashioned names for your first 2 children?
Are their names long or short? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you use nick names?
Is there an ancestor with a unique name or a relative that inspires you?
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] Rosalynn [name_u]Carter[/name_u] is the wife of the 39th President of the United States, [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m] [name_u]Carter[/name_u].
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamond[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] are all variations. [name_m]How[/name_m] would you pronounce it?
Usually there’s a heavy Z sound, Rozz-a-lind, but it can be [name_f]Ro[/name_f]-sal-lind too.
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] has become very popular since [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_m]Ferguson[/name_m] used it for her daughter, [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], now 28.
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is nice, but a long middle name would help. [name_u]Waverly[/name_u] sounds like [name_f]Maeve[/name_f].
If you like [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], how about Marvell or even [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]?