Baby Naming these days....

I recently met a little girl with the name of [name]Wallace[/name]-[name]Ann[/name], and of course I said “what a great name! It really fits her!” but inside I was wondering “why in the world?”

So. Question is: Am I being overly critical, or were these parents being unfair/cruel to their daughter by naming her a boy’s name that is not even really very attractive on a boy? Is this some trend I’m missing?

Thanks in advance!

Totally agree with you! [name]Wallace[/name]-[name]Ann[/name]?? Barf.

I know quite a few girls that have “boy” names. I think nothing of it. The kid always and forever will make the name. [name]Just[/name] because a girl is named [name]Ryan[/name] doesn’t mean that she won’t be something great in life, and it doesn’t necessarily mean that she’ll get picked on either. Personally, I think there are some great “boy” names that would work for girls. Such as:
[name]Ryan[/name]
[name]Kyle[/name]
[name]Carter[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
Also, some of the lesser known names:
[name]Campbell[/name]
[name]Brantley[/name]
[name]Evert[/name]
Besides, if you don’t like this trend, you don’t have to use it for your kid. That’s the great thing about names! I really like boyish names for girls, especially when they’re short and sweet and paired with a girly middle name to make a double first name.
[name]Ryan[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Kyle[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Carter[/name] [name]Lynn[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Hope[/name] I could help!

I’m not criticizing the trend that’s started giving boy’s names to girls - some of them I’m more than okay with (aka [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]Meredith[/name] and [name]Quinn[/name]). I just think that it’s the harshness of [name]Wallace[/name] that’s thrown me off. Maybe it’s the mother’s maiden name? Often where I live (the Deep South), girls are given their mother’s surnames. So I really shouldn’t just “judge.” [name]Ah[/name] well. Maybe I’m just over-reacting.

I agree that [name]Wallace[/name] is a bit harsh, but probably she’ll be proud to have a unique name. I know I am, though at times it’s a little frustrating. Maybe she has a really cute nickname.

^ I know for a fact that she doesn’t.

[name]Wallace[/name]-[name]Ann[/name] is pretty awful. I guess the parents figured by adding the [name]Ann[/name] it would make it ok. If her name was [name]Wallis[/name], that would have been cool. It must be a family name if they named her a male spelling of a name that has a female version.

That’s pretty bad. If they had just named her [name]Ann[/name] [name]Wallace[/name] Lastname she would have been fine.

My daughter’s middle name is [name]Ryann[/name] (pronounced like [name]Ryan[/name]). We gave her that middle name to combine my brother’s name ([name]Ryan[/name]) with mine and my Mammaw’s middle name ([name]Ann[/name]). But her first name is nice 'n girly, [name]Fiona[/name]. What I kinda don’t like is when the girls completely take over a good boy’s name so that no one likes to name their boy that anymore, like [name]Aubrey[/name] for example. But oh well, each to his/her own though.

I know of a [name]Hunter[/name] [name]Ryann[/name]- girl… but a very gross name I just came across was Alyzae… I literally did not know what to do when she told me her daughters name…

I knew a female [name]Wallace[/name] in college. She went by [name]Wallace[/name] and [name]Wally[/name]. She was very awkward too. A very bizarre choice!

I know a lot of people that don’t like this trend at all, but I really do. Not for my kids, but I think it works for some people. Here’s some that I like:
[name]Tyler[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Blake[/name]
[name]Ryan[/name]
Plus a lot of the others you mentioned. I don’t care for unisex names though - I like the ones that can be and are still used for boys.

I’m a shameless name-snob. I won’t say anything to people’s faces, but I really dislike boys names on girls, it’s a terrible trend. [name]Wallace[/name]-[name]Anne[/name] is pretty awful, probably one of the worst offenders I’ve ever seen, to be honest. I cringe when I hear some of the names these days.

I died a little inside when the nice lady in the next building introduced me to her daughters L@uren and Morg@n…I had chosen Morg@n for my baby had she been a boy. Her son’s name is [name]Clifton[/name], though, which I think suits him so well.

I especially hate when boys names are considered “exclusively female”, like [name]Ashley[/name] or [name]Addison[/name]. They started off masculine, and they still are, no matter how many little girls get saddled with the name. [name]Just[/name] MHO.

I actually like it! I don’t think I would ever name my own daughter something like that but I think it works, especially if she goes by “[name]Wallace[/name]-[name]Ann[/name]” most of the time. I babysit a little girl names [name]Anne[/name]-Simmons and that’s what she always goes by, I thought it was strange at first but now I think it’s a really great name.

[name]Wallace[/name]-[name]Ann[/name] sounds like a definite Deep South name to me. There, it is a traditional-often upper class-practice to give girls family surnames, sometimes feminized by the addition of [name]Ann[/name] or [name]Mary[/name]. In this case, I have nothing against that name at all, as a I can appreciate the sense of tradition in it, and if she is in fact in the South, her name won’t be that unusual. I do, however, generally dislike the use of random surnames on girls, or boys for that matter.

[name]Wallace[/name]-[name]Ann[/name] is very Southern. So it’s pretty much a cultural thing. As a female saddled with a male name, I hated it. And I was a tomboy and spent many years wishing I were a boy and I still hated it. My daughter has two obviously female English names and my son has two obviously male English names.

That being said, as a teacher, I have heard some absolutely dreadful names. One of my friends who is also a teacher has had to convince her pregnant daughter NOT to use [name]Neveah[/name], [name]Heaven[/name], or [name]Trinity[/name] for their baby – they’re going with [name]Tiana[/name] (I envision kindergarteners ribbiting at her, but perhaps they’ll have forgotten the movie by then).

Many people on this post say that parents are entitled to name their kids what they want. But if you listen all day to kids who are named Chandelier and Chlamydia and Hylene, there’s real pain there. And study after study has shown that if you have a woman named [name]Jane[/name] and a woman named Chandelier, [name]Jane[/name] will get the job.

I just wish that we had a way to help parents realise that their children are real, live human beings, not toys. And they deserve names that won’t target them, or label the class they were born into, or prevent them from getting scholarships or real jobs. [name]Just[/name] to inject a little reality here.

Off the soapbox now…

But your point is that [name]Wallace[/name]-[name]Ann[/name] is infinitely preferable to the trashy, trendy names, right? Because I definitely think so.

Another point-no one has mentioned the [name]Wallis[/name] [name]Simpson[/name] thing. I don’t think the [name]Wallis[/name] spelling is any more feminine than [name]Wallace[/name], but I have seen [name]Wallis[/name] pushed on various name advice sights (where I generally have high regard for the advice) as an unusual, stylish choice for a girl.

I agree with the “barf” comment. [name]Wallace[/name]-[name]Ann[/name] is awful in my opinion and I feel terrible for her that she was saddled with such a name.

I even think [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Avery[/name], etc look very masculine on girls, so [name]Wallace[/name] seems very unflattering to me. That said, if it is cultural as some people said, that’s a totally different thing. I know how irritating it is to be told some of my favourite (welsh) names sound way too girly for boys (despite a totally different cultural context) so I try not to judge other people’s cultural traditions (except on an instinctive superficial level). For probably the majority of north american society, though, I’d have recommended [name]Ann[/name] [name]Wallace[/name] as a better fit, if the name had to be used.

Actually thinking about it, [name]Wallace[/name] makes me think of [name]Wallace[/name] and Gromit, so…