Baby number 4 !

You guys helped me name my gorgeous [name_f]Amoret[/name_f] a few years ago (back when I remembered my old username and password lol)
Now I’m back and pregnant with number 4! [name_m]Ive[/name_m] been playing around a lot with names but none have felt right.
But today ‘[name_f]Gretel[/name_f]’ popped into my head and I can’t shake it. [name_m]Ive[/name_m] loved it ever since I was a girl but had forgotten about it!
What do people think? Any middle name suggestions? Thanks guys x

Congrats! For me, [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] has a very strong association with the little girl from the Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f], which I think is kind of sweet! I myself have been liking the name [name_f]Greta[/name_f] recently, which is very similar but maybe has less strong associations.

Could you list your other children’s names? It might help to inspire ideas. [name_f]Amoret[/name_f] is very romantic and fairy-like. Based of that, maybe…
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Aravis[/name_f]

Other names that might be up your alley:
[name_f]Cressida[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelai[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Wisteria[/name_f]
[name_f]Astoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Callista[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Cerys[/name_f]
[name_f]Manon[/name_f]
[name_f]Lisette[/name_f]
[name_u]Penrose[/name_u]

I prefer [name_f]Greta[/name_f], but [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] is very sweet too! Most people would probably think of [name_m]Hansel[/name_m] & [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] - don’t know if that would bother you.

Some other ideas:
[name_f]Myrtle[/name_f]
[name_u]Damaris[/name_u]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Glenda[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Dulcie[/name_f]
[name_f]Trudy[/name_f]
[name_f]Elva[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Maribel[/name_f]
[name_f]Cybele[/name_f]
[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f]
[name_f]Tanith[/name_f]

Aw some lovely ideas! [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] I also associate it with the youngest from the sound of music which is just one of my favourite movies. In fact I think I’ve crushed on all the girls names from it at one point or another ”
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Mirielle[/name_f] sounds pretty and melodic which I like! Also [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Lisette[/name_f]! My other kids names are more trendy- [name_f]Evie[/name_f] [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] and [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] [name_m]Cole[/name_m]. Then I’ve got [name_f]Amoret[/name_f] [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] which is quite unusual so wanted something similar (but not as rare)
[name_u]Freddie[/name_u] I do like [name_f]Greta[/name_f] too! But seems synonymous to me with [name_f]Greta[/name_f] Thurnberg at the moment!

I’m sorry, [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] just brings up images of [name_m]Hansel[/name_m] and [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] for me, I can’t get past that association. It also feels clunky imo, especially beside [name_f]Amoret[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_u]Ashton[/name_u], which all feel pretty sleek and stylish.

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] however would work nicely I think?

Middle name ideas for [name_f]Gretel[/name_f];

[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Polina[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Clarine[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Posie[/name_f]

[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] is lovely and works well with the sister name. I like that it is a little less expected than [name_f]Greta[/name_f].

Thanks heaps guys! Some great ideas :slight_smile:
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you all prefer the [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] spelling to [name_f]Gretl[/name_f]? I’m a purist so normally I’d go the original spelling- but I live in Australia and feel like it would seem a bit silly.

I think [name_f]Gretel[/name_f]/[name_f]Gretl[/name_f] is unexpected and adorable! I, too, instantly associate it with The Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f], which I love.

I think either spelling works; it just depends on which you think people will tend to use automatically where you live. (I recommend asking around your friends & family to discover that.)

Good point Elenorelle! We have a semi well known media personality over here names [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] Killeen so I’d say most people would intuitively go with that spelling… also [name_m]Hansel[/name_m] and [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] has the same spelling. I think only Germans might naturally lean to [name_f]Gretl[/name_f] but I actually prefer it! (As I said I’m a purist lol)

Well, I’d go with the spelling you prefer, then! [name_m]Even[/name_m] if people don’t automatically spell it that way, those who have to do it often will learn. And at least the pronunciation is obvious with either spelling. (It’s not like spelling it [name_f]Gretl[/name_f] will make it harder for anyone to read and pronounce correctly.)

I’d stick with the [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] spelling. I don’t mind [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] but prefer [name_f]Greta[/name_f]. I also like [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f].

[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] is cute and has the fairy tale vibe of [name_f]Amoret[/name_f] (which is stunning btw)

[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] Belphoebe
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Leora[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Ffion[/name_f]/[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Francine[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u]

Some other ideas to match [name_f]Amoret[/name_f] could be

[name_f]Amoret[/name_f] and

[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Misty[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u]
Larkspur
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_u]Ocean[/name_u]
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sapphira[/name_f]

I love so many of your ideas! Playing around with them I think I love an -elle sound for the middle after [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] as it flows nicely and my surname is quite masculine and harsh. But I also loved [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] And [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]!

I like [name_f]Gretel[/name_f]!

What about [name_f]Giselle[/name_f] or [name_f]Ethel[/name_f]?