Baby Overdue - still need a name - help please x

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] guys,

I’m due any day now :grimacing: and need some help narrowing down our baby name list. We don’t know what we are having. It’s our third child. We already have a [name_u]William[/name_u] and an [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. If we have middle name ideas I’ve popped them in brackets. I feel like these names are all lovely but I see potential problems with all of the them. Am I other thinking it? I’ve put them in order of how we are feeling about them.

Would love opinions and open to different middle name suggestions too.

[name_f]Girl[/name_f] choices:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] (Evelyn) - love [name_f]Alice[/name_f] think it’s a great fit, only concern - is it too similar in sound to [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. We don’t use nicknames but I know you have no control over this once they get to school. What if they become [name_f]Elle[/name_f] and [name_f]Ally[/name_f] / [name_m]Al[/name_m]? Very similar!

[name_u]Ivy[/name_u] (Beatrice) - think it’s a good fit with the siblings and nice link to a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby, but am very surprised it’s now 7th on the popularity polls. I’ve not come across any but worry as soon as we choose it, there will be hundreds of them. Also now have it in my head that it may be a bit too trendy rather than a classic which is what we are after.

[name_u]Rose[/name_u] (Vivienne) - lovely but doesn’t fit as well with the others and really wouldn’t want her to get [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]!

[name_m]Boy[/name_m] choices:
[name_m]Archie[/name_m] (Edward) - my hubbys favourite. Think it sounds lovely with the siblings but really not keen on ‘ie’ name endings. Feels like it’s too much of a nickname, can’t see him as a grown up.

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] - like it again but don’t love. Is there a nickname I’m not seeing?

[name_u]Edward[/name_u] - nice but wouldn’t want a [name_m]Ted[/name_m] or teddy as know this is very popular.

[name_u]Henry[/name_u] - is it too royal sounding with a [name_u]William[/name_u] already?

As you can see all this thinking over them again and again, has made me really picked each name apart :sweat: Would really appreciate fresh opinions.

Thanks in advance xx

3 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] your names! You truly can’t go wrong. [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is my absolute favorite on your list. I like the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] connection and you shouldn’t have any nickname trouble. It’s becoming more popular, but not as popular as [name_u]William[/name_u] or [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. I love the name [name_m]Archie[/name_m], but if it sounds too “nicknamie”, then you might like [name_u]Archer[/name_u] and call him [name_m]Archie[/name_m] for short? I like [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] quite a bit! I’ve heard [name_u]Ozzy[/name_u] as a nickname. For [name_u]Edward[/name_u], I think most people would go for [name_m]Ed[/name_m] or [name_u]Eddie[/name_u] as a nickname. I love the name [name_u]Henry[/name_u], but it may be too royal sounding with [name_u]William[/name_u]. Congratulations and good luck!

1 Like

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I know [name_u]William[/name_u] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] are both popular names but they weren’t high on the name lists when we looked at the time and in our area still haven’t come across another [name_f]Ella[/name_f].

Is [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] classic or could it be a bit chavy?

Not keen on any of the longer names for [name_m]Archie[/name_m] - [name_u]Archer[/name_u], [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] and trying to keep in the classic genre.

Congratulations!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite of your girl names with [name_u]William[/name_u] & [name_f]Ella[/name_f] is [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. I think it has exactly the classic feel you’re going for. I don’t think it’s an common nowadays for people to automatically nickname someone, so if she’s called [name_f]Alice[/name_f] by you, it will probably stick. There’s also [name_f]Lissie[/name_f], if you feel like you WANT a nickname that is not too close to [name_f]Ella[/name_f].

I think [name_m]Archie[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], & [name_u]Henry[/name_u] are all fantastic with the siblings’ names. [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is plenty grown-up on its own, while also being charming on a baby. I know a grown man [name_m]Archie[/name_m], and he wears it very well. [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is great. You asked if there was a nickname, and I’d say [name_u]Ozzie[/name_u] would be most likely. And [name_u]Henry[/name_u] is perfect, really, except for the fact that it’s [name_u]Prince[/name_u] Harry’s real name, so you’d have [name_u]William[/name_u] & [name_u]Henry[/name_u]. It’s not an actual problem at all, as they are timeless classics. But plenty of people will notice. It’s ok–you can just say your style for boys is “royal”.

1 Like

Before reading your additional thoughts, I’m favouring [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] with your [name_u]William[/name_u] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] :blush:
I would say that [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] is a trending classic, not a trendy name full stop, because it has been in regular use as far back as we have records to show. It is a nice link for a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby, without being at all cheesy!

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] could be [name_u]Ossie[/name_u] rather than [name_u]Ozzie[/name_u], or [name_u]Otter[/name_u]? I love [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]Henry[/name_u].

For girls I like Ivy best, especially with your current children. I think it goes well and, my first thought was also that Ella and Alice are similar in sound (but not so close that they don’t make. a nice pair), however, Ivy to me matches more in style while being more unique and fresh).

Rose I think you’d def hear Rosie from people, so would steer away if you don’t like that!

For boys I’d steer away from Oscar if you’re already admitting to not liking it. And yea, William and Henry seems fine to me as well, and maybe you’d also like Harris or Harrison? Or Heath?

I personally don’t like Archie. Just not my style and reminds me of a dog (sorry). How about Arthur, with nicknames Artie or Art? I think Archer is cool, very similar to Archie but gets rid of the “ie” ending issue, and gives a totally different vibe (but your husband may still love?)

William, Ella, Ivy

William, Ella, Harrison/Harris

William, Ella, Arthur/Archer

2 Likes

I ADORE [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]! It fits the others beautifully and also stands its own as an elegant, sweet name.
For a boy, I don’t think [name_u]Henry[/name_u] would be too ‘royal’, but [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] (Caro, [name_u]Ozzie[/name_u], Carey) would fit well too.

First, Congrats and don’t we always overthink it at the end?!
From your list, I love [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] for a girl. I don’t think you can go wrong and while I’ve seen the same on popularity I’ve only known one little [name_f]Ivey[/name_f] and she is half a state away. Either of those fit with [name_u]William[/name_u] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f], IMO. I might even give [name_f]Alice[/name_f] the edge, just because I love it so much myself.
For boys, another great list! I like [name_m]Archie[/name_m], but agree it feels a smidge incomplete next to [name_u]William[/name_u] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. Would [name_u]Archer[/name_u] be an alternative? [name_f]My[/name_f] pick would be for [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], I think it is a good fit with siblings. The only nn I can think of (which I don’t really like) is [name_u]Ozzy[/name_u] and I don’t think it’s that common. It certainly isn’t too common but still classic.

1 Like

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those

I think everyone’s made some really good points! Personally, i can’t get over how adorable [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is. I love the subtle nod to [name_u]December[/name_u] and it goes so well with the siblings’ names!
I also really love the earlier suggestion of [name_u]Arthur[/name_u]. I think it is a perfect companion to your other kids’ names. [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Harris[/name_m] or [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_u]Henry[/name_u] would be cute!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for being so lovely about all the names you’ve made me feel so much better and that at the end of the day we are choosing being lovely options so whatever the final decision it will be good.

Thanks for the new suggestions. We already have an [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] in the family. But do really like the name and has more of a complete feel to it.

I have a very strong feeling it’s a girl as same symptoms as when I was pregnant with [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Alice[/name_f] at the moment has the edge it was literally just the worry it was too close to [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] is a close second though.

Thanks again xx

1 Like

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] → [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is sleek, sweet and strong - refined and versatile.
I think [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] sound fine together (I’ve known sibs [name_u]Alix[/name_u] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and Ellie) and none of the Alices I’ve known have been nicknamed automatically.

[name_u]Ivy[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] → sharp, bright and charming. I don’t think it’s anymore popular than [name_u]William[/name_u] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] :person_shrugging:

[name_u]Rose[/name_u] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] → elegant, short and pretty and I think it fits just fine! If you don’t like [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] at all though, I’d avoid it.

[name_m]Archie[/name_m] [name_u]Edward[/name_u] → cool, cheerful and vintage. It ranks at 21 in the UK so he would be growing up with plenty of Archies (so it wouldn’t feel juvenile when he’s older). Still, if you don’t love -ie endings, then maybe [name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_u]Charles[/name_u], [name_m]Leonard[/name_m], [name_m]Marcus[/name_m]?

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] → sweet, woodsy and cool. [name_u]Ozzy[/name_u] is the nn that came to mind but none of the Oscars I’ve known have used it

[name_u]Edward[/name_u] → solid and classic. I feel like [name_u]Eddie[/name_u] is more likely, but again, the three [name_m]Edwards[/name_m] I’ve met have used their fullnames or [name_m]Ned[/name_m].

[name_u]Henry[/name_u] → sweet but strong, versatile and literary. I’ve met multiple sets of sibs with [name_u]Henry[/name_u] and [name_u]William[/name_u] together (and [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and William). They’re such classics that it’s fine (and I wouldn’t think you were royalists).

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites for you would probably be [name_u]Henry[/name_u] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] :heart:

A few additional middles:

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_u]Rose[/name_u]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

[name_u]Ivy[/name_u] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_u]Ivy[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_u]Ivy[/name_u] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Ivy[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_u]Ivy[/name_u] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]

[name_u]Rose[/name_u] [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_u]Rose[/name_u] [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_u]Rose[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Rose[/name_u] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]

[name_m]Archie[/name_m] [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_m]Archie[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Archie[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Archie[/name_m] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]George[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Leonard[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]Julian[/name_u]

[name_u]Edward[/name_u] [name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Edward[/name_u] [name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_u]Edward[/name_u] [name_m]Ralph[/name_m]
[name_u]Edward[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]

[name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]

And, just in case you want some more options:

[name_u]William[/name_u], [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and…

[name_m]Nathan[/name_m] / [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_u]Daniel[/name_u]
[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]

[name_u]Florence[/name_u]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lois[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Martha[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_u]Edward[/name_u] from your lists!

I really like [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] with [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_u]William[/name_u]. I don’t think it’s too popular at all. [name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_u]Rose[/name_u] but if you are worried about [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] than that is probably not a good choice. I am not a fan of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and I do think it’s too close to [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. I think [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is so handsome. Your could do [name_u]Archer[/name_u] and nick name [name_m]Archie[/name_m] if that would help your concerns.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_u]William[/name_u] & [name_f]Ella[/name_f] are beautiful. Here are my thoughts on your lists:

Girls-

Alice-I think it’s sweet & understated & fits in nicely with [name_u]William[/name_u] & [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. [name_m]Classic[/name_m] and doesn’t feel over done. I get the Elle/Ally concern. I think it’s fine though if [name_f]Alice[/name_f] was really the name. It’s not like you plan on calling them that or introducing them as that. They’re both short enough names that a nn isn’t inevitable. [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] doesn’t excite me, because it’s so popular in my area, but [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] does flow nicely. I like [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] more if that’s an option.

Ivy-Ivy [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is adorable. I prefer [name_f]Alice[/name_f] to [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] purely based on look & sound of the name. But I like the vibe of [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] & especially the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] connection.

Rose-I think it’s perfect with [name_u]William[/name_u] & [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] does seem hard to avoid though, so if you really don’t like it, I’d scratch [name_u]Rose[/name_u].

Boys-

Archie-It is cute & fits in well enough, but I do feel like it should be [name_u]Archer[/name_u] nn [name_m]Archie[/name_m]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you guys like that?

Oscar-I like it a lot, but it doesn’t seem like it’s your favorite. The only nn I can think of is [name_u]Ozzie[/name_u], which is meh.

Edward-Yeah, [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] is so popular. Mostly [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] in my neck of the woods. [name_u]Edward[/name_u] feels less over done. You could call him just [name_u]Edward[/name_u] or [name_u]Eddie[/name_u]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_m]Ned[/name_m] if you like that.

Henry-Meh, I think that there are a lot of brothers called [name_u]William[/name_u] & [name_u]Henry[/name_u]. I wouldn’t worry about the royal thing. Are you in the U.K. Maybe more of an issue there…I do think that [name_u]Henry[/name_u] is charming, but so so so popular.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Alice[/name_f] & [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], but since you don’t seem to really love [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], I pick [name_f]Alice[/name_f] & [name_u]Edward[/name_u]. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

Girls:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is great. I wouldn’t worry about the nicknames - I have never heard of a girl having the nickname [name_m]Al[/name_m], and “Ella” and “Alice” are already short, easy names. I can’t imagine they would go exclusively by short forms of their already short names.

[name_u]Ivy[/name_u] - It sounds like we live in different countries, so I can’t really help you out with whether [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] is too trendy or too common where you are. [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is a pretty combo though.

[name_u]Rose[/name_u] - I would not use this one if you strongly dislike [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]. Someone will call her [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] even if most people call her [name_u]Rose[/name_u].

Boys:
[name_m]Archie[/name_m] - [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is sometimes used as a full name. If you’re worried about it, have you considered [name_u]Archer[/name_u]?

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] - The only nickname I know for [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is [name_u]Ozzy[/name_u].

[name_u]Edward[/name_u] - I think [name_m]Ted[/name_m] and [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] are nicknames for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], not [name_u]Edward[/name_u]. [name_u]Edward[/name_u] would be [name_m]Ed[/name_m] or [name_m]Eddy[/name_m]?

[name_u]Henry[/name_u] - It is kind of royal sounding, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks for the detailed response and for sharing your opinions/insights.

To answer some questions…

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] is definitely both mine and my husbands favourite only worrying about the [name_f]Ella[/name_f] / [name_f]Alice[/name_f] similarity.

[name_u]Archer[/name_u] wouldn’t be an option. We do like classic traditional names and don’t feel like [name_u]Archer[/name_u] fits in this group. I know it should be [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] but that just seems too much for a name.

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] - I feel the same about this name as I do the other boys names. I like them all but not in love with any of them.

Husband really loves [name_m]Archie[/name_m] and do feel like I will need to take his lead if it’s a boy but I do worry about it sounding like a cutesy pet name.

We are in the uk - so [name_u]William[/name_u] and [name_u]Henry[/name_u] might be more of a thing. But don’t think many people realise [name_u]Harry[/name_u] is actually a [name_u]Henry[/name_u].

Many thanks again guys. Finding this really useful x

I think all your names go with [name_u]William[/name_u] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] great. [name_f]My[/name_f] top for a girl would probably be [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] I think it’s a lovely combo and very classic. On the boy side probably [name_u]Henry[/name_u], I wouldn’t worry about being too royal they [name_u]William[/name_u] and [name_u]Henry[/name_u] are just super classic names that happen to be used by the brittish royals. (Especially since everyone knows him as Harry)

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - not too close to [name_f]Ella[/name_f] imho, although I see your point about potential nicknames from friends

[name_u]Ivy[/name_u] - slightly trendier than your other names but I don’t think it’s ‘chavvy’ or overly trendy, and it definitely suits a [name_u]December[/name_u] baby!

[name_u]Rose[/name_u] - you’d 100% get [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] at some point so if you don’t like it, I’d steer clear

[name_m]Archie[/name_m] - classic and cute, but I see your point about it feeling incomplete next to the others, especially [name_u]William[/name_u]

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] - I like this a lot, it has the same raffish charm as [name_m]Archie[/name_m] but with a more classic feel. But if you don’t love it…I’d leave it.

[name_u]Edward[/name_u] - might well get Ted/Teddy as a nickname at some point, I also don’t love [name_u]Edward[/name_u] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] in a set together

[name_u]Henry[/name_u] - my favourite of your boy ideas, it matches the classic timeless feel of the siblings - I don’t think you can worry too much about being ‘too royal’ with classic names because almost all classic names have been used by the royal family at some point! It would be weirder to have [name_u]William[/name_u] and [name_u]Harry[/name_u]! But [name_u]Henry[/name_u] could be [name_m]Hal[/name_m], or just [name_u]Henry[/name_u].

Others that might work… [name_u]George[/name_u], [name_u]Toby[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]

[name_u]Edward[/name_u] and [name_u]Henry[/name_u]