Baby Bao Bucket's Name of the Week

Oh my goodness [name_f]Twila[/name_f] is AMAZING! I love it so much! What a great name!

I think that this combo flows the best with H and A. Their names both have a long first name and a short middle, so this combo having a shorter first name and longer middles helps balance it out. This could also work with [name_f]Petra[/name_f], but I just thought of this now and I honestly prefer [name_f]Twila[/name_f]. H0rat1o F3lix, [name_f]Ana[/name_f]$ta$1o R@z, and [name_f]Twila[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is absolute perfection!

One note about honoring: I think that, since you can’t honor everyone in one name, it might be helpful to narrow down who you want to honor the most and then go from there? (Please take my suggestion with a grain of salt, though, because I don’t know your exact situation/what will work best for you.) I think at most you would be able to honor two people/lines/events.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] and [name_f]Twila[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]! They’re gorgeous, they’re pretty, they’re amazing!(I could go on for hours) :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

1 Like

Decisions are getting more complicated…:

• Rosmerta [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
  • Petra [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u]
  • Twila [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]

0 voters

@SparkleNinja18, that is a fun fact! I would have been [name_f]Clothilde[/name_f] or [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]. Both names I LOVE! I love my name but I think I’d likely prefer to be one of those, though I can never know.

This IS the question. @whatchamacallit you’ve steered me in this direction, too. I really need to figure out what honor is most important to me and let that be my guide. It is so hard, though!!

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I had a big discussion about this this week. It is feeling beyond difficult for me to narrow these possibilities. I want a name that does it all. I mean, I remember getting feedback with [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] that all the different trails of honor were honestly TOO much to pack in one name. @katinka you were in this camp, I believe. I both want and don’t want an overly complicated name that is multi-faceted with a bunch of different angles and dimensions. What I really want is the sense of confidence that something is just RIGHT. With [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] everything eventually fell into place and just felt totally right. With HF we knew for years that was the combo we wanted.

With HF, his initials are significant, H is an actual family name so the honor is very evident. F3l1x was just a name we loved. The meaning was auspicious and tied him to his Chinese heritage. Easy peasy. The end. A few sentences to explain when people ask.

I WOULD NOT change H’s name, now or in the past, but if we hadn’t used it back then, and now 4 years later it was on the table, the F3l1x might not be what I’d pair with it. And THAT feeling makes me nervous. Because F is the name without deep meaning to us. I worry that a name we love for just love will leave me feeling like that in a few years. Whereas I, with my deep sentiments of connection to my ancestors, don’t see myself second-guessing an honor name in the same way. If I pack the honor in, I hedge my bets, especially since this time around, there is barely a single name that is a straightforward family name honor.

[name_f]Twila[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] has wrestled with me this week as I have been wrestling with these big questions. It has been a much less comfortable week of quiet name contemplation and meditation than the previous weeks. I haven’t hit a breakthrough yet but it feels imminent. The tension is growing and something is going to click here. It may give us ultimate clarity (what we will name her) or it may just give us a clear direction or a way to narrow. But this week was HARD work… there must be a payoff soon.

6 Likes

I can definitely relate to this. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though there are tons of beautiful names I’d like to use just because I love them, I don’t think I’d be happy long-term unless I chose a name with deeper significance.

I hope that does help you guys at least narrow it down a bit for now. :blush:

1 Like

Week 4
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u]

[details=“[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]”]
We have always liked the idea of one our children having a hard C/K. With our one syllable K surname they just tend to sound so zippy. That would be a real bonus here. We also LOVE the hidden -io- to match her brothers without sounding obnoxious. That is a real draw to [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f], honestly.

I don’t love the mythology, and I find the possible meaning of “cassia juice” as lackluster at best. The possible roundabout alternative of cassia (via cassius) meaning “empty, vain” and -peia meaning “producing” isn’t much better. The meaning of Kassiope I’ve seen of “she whose words excel” is kinda nice. But straightforward etymology is always nicer for me and this is rather one of those names left up to interpretation.

I love that the [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] カシオペア was a Japanese train line (discontinued to make way for the Hokkaido Shinkansen line). I don’t know how many of you may have seen the film [name_f]Mirai[/name_f] (it is currently on Netflix in the US at least) but it is a truly darling film about a 4 year old boy adjusting to being a big brother. When his baby sister comes home and his parents ask him what he thinks they should name her, the boy starts naming Japanese train names. Anyways… if you watch the film, that kid is basically HF. They totally modeled that child after him without realizing it. So this tangential connection would be sweet.

I’m not in love with the nickname [name_f]Cassie[/name_f], which does feel inevitable, but I don’t dislike it either. “Peia” (pay-uh), “[name_f]Pia[/name_f],” and “[name_f]Posie[/name_f]” or even “Kissy” seem preferable to me. “[name_f]Io[/name_f]” if I can convince my partner. Speaking of pay-uh, I do prefer this pronunciation of the name, but the [name_u]Cassio[/name_u]-pee-uh pronunciation doesn’t bother me, and I’m aware she would get it a fair bit as a first attempt.

[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] is a beautiful name overall. I love the sounds. I think she stylistically fits so well with her brothers’ names. If there were ever going to be a good excuse to go with a 5 syllable name, it is having the unexpected and welcome surprise of A’s 5-syllable name in the sibset. I love so many 5 syllable names and I think this one just fits in practically every way.

She is sparkly, a tad dramatic but not melodramatic, and

[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] was our top sister name for [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] so there would be something nice about using it anyway.

Downside is that when I mentioned it to my mom last year, she had never heard it (she loves names). She said she didn’t mind it, but the whole reaction was just rather unenthusiastic when she normally LOVES the names I choose. I’m sure she would learn to love it and I know I wouldn’t ever get negativity about it, but still. Unenthusiastic.
[/details]

[details=“[name_u]Jule[/name_u]”]

[/details]

[details=“[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u]”]
I like that [name_u]Jule[/name_u] would featured with this pair in a more concrete way (as the only middle name, and therefore up front and feeling more important). The whole name, middle included, sits just right next to her brothers’ names. The four letter middle with that sort of sepia-toned vintage quality but also sounds modern-ness seems right in line with her brothers’ middles.
There isn’t all that much that makes this combo particularly special just because these names sit side by side, except that it gives me lovely imagery of “glimmering, glinting, jewel-studded things” (that’s a quote from [name_f]Meghan[/name_f] Cox Gurdon… about good books, not names, but here it is!). I consider both of these names as jewel-tone and velvety so despite their general differences, they sing together as a constellation.
[/details]

I look forward to hearing your feedback!

7 Likes

While I appreciate [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] it doesn’t feel like it has the sparkle that I associate with [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] and [name_f]Twila[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]

If I have to rank your options thus far it would be
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]
[name_f]Twila[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]

1 Like

I love it, it’s so beautiful, I think [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] may be my favourite so far. Again, l LOVE IT :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Cassiopeia is perfect in theory. She looks gorgeous. She’s a great match with H & A.
I love that [name_u]Jule[/name_u] gets a place to really shine here too.

I love the connection to the constellation.

I’m just not a huge fan of the nn [name_f]Cassie[/name_f] or [name_m]Cas[/name_m] (except on a boy) and that kind of puts me off [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]. I’ve always wanted to like this name too.
I do like [name_f]Pia[/name_f] quite a bit but if you prefer the “pay-uh” pronunciation (I do too), it’s a little confusing.

I actually prefer Kassiope I think, but then it loses the direct association with the constellation.

I’m torn because I do like the idea of a C/K name with your surname too. I love the repeated sounds.

In conclusion, while [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] isn’t my favorite name on its own, I can see all the reasons why it would be a good choice for you.

Hopefully a week of sitting with it will make you fall even more in love with her or let you know she’s not the one. :blush:

1 Like

At first glance, [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is my favorite option of the four. I think it works best with your boys’ names and I just love [name_u]Jule[/name_u].

But reading your description of the name has me second-guessing. You just do not sound excited about this one. Normally your posts are gushy, but you mentioned so many “it’s not my favorite, but it’s ok” aspects to this name. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you really love it? Or does it just “make sense”?

4 Likes

I absolutely LOVE [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]! It has been on my mind too for the last couple days so maybe I tapped into your wavelength haha? I do agree with @QuirkFlower that your description feels more… scripted? than usual? I still love the personal meaning behind the combo.

I put this one about even with [name_f]Petra[/name_f] in second place since I gave [name_f]Twila[/name_f] the nod in your poll!

2 Likes

A couple things I failed to mention before:
I love that [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] is a (one of the few) constellation(s) I can actually recognize, and that it is visible all year round where I live. I actually spent a good while staring at her the other night trying to contemplate the name.

I LOOOOVE the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation Cassiopée, which is what I would call her to her face 50% of the time. It is a truly stunning, show-stopping name in [name_u]French[/name_u]… one of my absolute favorites.

I like the [name_f]Sara[/name_f] Bareilles song but that’s just a minor bonus.

I think I agree with those of you who suspect that I’m just ultimately not that insanely passionate about this name anymore. It is easily the oldest combo on my top list – by a few years… – and I think while that says a lot as she has stood the test of time until now, she has lost some of her shine for me. She has the possibility of making a comeback, but I mostly see how good she is on paper, in theory, and using head over heart.

I think I had already mostly fallen out of love with her by the time AR came along. Then I said to myself, “Who would have ever thought I’d be so well set up to use an outlandish 5-syllable favorite for my finale? I chose to bet on a complete wildcard and yet I wind up with this gold? How amazing is it that I have been gifted this stellar sibset for the taking?” I do genuinely feel some sense of obligation to use it because it does fit so perfectly in theory and because I would be brave enough to use it when it really is such an underused name that should get more attention. [name_f]My[/name_f] obliger tendency rearing.

I would clearly need to fall back in love head-over-heels (or upside-down-throne… trying to make a [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] pun and I don’t think it worked…) in order to use this combo in real life. Right now I’m just not there, even though I’d like to be. It sucks that that isn’t how love works…

6 Likes

I have to agree that Cassiopée sounds lovely.
She definitely could be “perfect” with the sibset if you did fall back in love with her. If not, I’m sure one of the other names will fully win you over soon. :blush:

3 Likes

Cassiopée is such a gorgeous name. Would you consider using Cassiopée as the legal name? Would it be any more exciting and sparkly than [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]? It sounds like you’re not in love with this name and I would definitely cross it off if it’s lost its shine.

I love [name_u]Jule[/name_u], it seems especially meaningful to you and goes perfectly with the long first name.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] for you, though she may not be the one in the end. Peia is a a very viable nickname, like the singer :slight_smile:

https://peiasong.com/

1 Like

I do so hope so.

I think that in the context of a world where accents aren’t always an option, Cassiopee is unfortunate. Cassiopée would definitely feel much more exciting and sparkly otherwise.

@elleplume, I had never heard of that singer but I agree Peia might work well!

I think I’m back to considering Cassiopée and [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] as middle name options but none are on my top list we are going through here. [name_f]Petra[/name_f] Cassiopée and [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] Cassiopée [name_u]Hero[/name_u] come to mind.

2 Likes

Cassiopeia [name_u]Jule[/name_u]

0 voters

Twila [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]

0 voters

Petra [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u]

0 voters

Rosmerta [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]

0 voters

1 Like

Week 5
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u]

[details=“[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]”]

[/details]

[details=“[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]”]
Here, [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] continues and furthers the symbolic connections of [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] to the cornucopia. The cornucopia symbolizes plenty, abundance, and harvest. Nourishment of the soul and body, and a time of want for nothing after a job well done.

While [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] doesn’t exactly describe a time or event, the connection to harvest is enough to make me feel the connection to “happy time” and “resurrection” of her brother’s name. Her name signifies a time of overwhelming abundance when my childbearing years come to an intentional close and we can see the fruits of our labors and the labors of others and celebrate in this abundant family. The third and final infant added to our family does feel very “copious,” and when we have been already been entrusted with the care of two amazing children, adding the third, the one I have always longed for, but ultimately the least “necessary,” is an opportunity to reflect on how grateful we are for all that we have been provided. She will really be such a gift to our family, whether we name her as such or not.

[name_f]My[/name_f] partner has always been a fan of [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], moreso than myself. I’d be happy to include a name he loves more than I so that I can balance out [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f], which I love far more than he.

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is itself a family name, though many many generations up on the same line as [name_m]Horatio[/name_m] (one I don’t feel a need to honor again). There were several Cornelias in a row in my line of [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] immigrant (to the US) ancestors in the 1600s. Ultimately, though, it’s not really an honor. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a nice bonus connection.
[/details]

[details=“[name_u]Hero[/name_u]”]
Much [name_f]Ado[/name_f] About Nothing’s [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is a bit of a bore as far as Shakespearean characters are concerned, but what a name. I’m glad for the Shakespearean connection at least, considering H0rat1o’s name. The mythology is also a little lackluster but adds dimension to the name.
I love that it adds another -o ending without sounding redundant, and I do love a good -o ending on a girl to begin with. [name_u]Hero[/name_u] also doesn’t add the weightedness of a second middle that a longer H name might. Short and sweet and more in line with F3l1x and R@z. I’m afraid (the more time goes by the more clarity I get in this regard) that a [name_f]Helen[/name_f] variant may not be on the table for this child. [name_f]Helen[/name_f] was always to appease me and for the honor but this time I think my husband is really looking for the perfect name that will also be completely distinct from what we chose as our girl option last time around. But [name_f]Helen[/name_f] would have been the other option with this pair. I think [name_u]Hero[/name_u] certainly sounds fresher, but still hits on many of the same notes that [name_f]Helen[/name_f] does and could be an honor for her, ultimately ([name_u]Roche[/name_u] is her family line).
[/details]

[details=“[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u]”]
This is one of my [name_f]Ro[/name_f].C.He combos, where the important surname [name_u]Roche[/name_u] from my matrilineal mitochondrial line is cached within the name in a way that feels meaningful to me.

I love that all three names have ro/or without sounding ridiculous because each derivation is unique in sound, but the combo feels tightly wrapped (brown paper packages tied up with string…) thanks to this subtlety. I think that sometimes these days the TAM M name or the RoCHe He name can sometimes feel tacked on, but I really like that the similarities and differences between these three names help to really add depth and interest and I think [name_u]Hero[/name_u] adds something more than the sum of her four letters here. She completes the picture of “demi-goddess of great plenty” or “hero of abundant nourishment.” She will be a provider for our family in the very nature of her birth and I hope will add to our experience every day she is with us, in ways big and small, and continue to spread that provident plenty to the world as well.
[/details]

So, WDYT?

7 Likes

I’m really gravitating towards your double middle combos, and [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is no exception - I prefer it over [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], as lovely as that combo is as well!

Petra [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is still my favourite from your list so far, but [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u] has to be my second favourite. The flow is lovely, and I adore [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] and [name_u]Hero[/name_u] as individual names as well as together as middles.

As a combo, [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_u]Hero[/name_u] has a sophisticated lady knight/honourable shield maiden type of vibe to me.

2 Likes

I love all three names in this combo individually and together.
I feel like the name definitely fits the qualities you described for “Metal/Gold [name_m]Ox[/name_m]”.
If your husband is ok with [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] as a first since he would get [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] as a middle, I think it’s a beautiful option.
One thing about [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] is that I can see people calling her “[name_f]Rose[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]” a lot so you may have to be ok with that unless you preemptively give her another nickname. I love [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] but I don’t know how you feel about it.
This name seems perfect for an [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] baby but if you conceive right away and have a summer baby it would be just as beautiful. :blush:

2 Likes