Baby Bao Bucket's Name of the Week

Nothing new to add but just wanted to say that I’m obsessed with [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] and all of your reasoning! Your thought process is fascinating.

3 Likes

Part of me is definitely with you.

It has been interesting. I have spent at least a few minutes throughout each day meditating on this one name throughout the week.

I haven’t really had any NEW thoughts, certainly not a revelation, but the same good points and weak points stick with me. Without some sort of intervention, I’m feeling like it is middle of the rung (among my top 25) at the moment. I don’t get a sense (yet?) that “this must be her name.”

1 Like

Before my new name post tomorrow (I’m going to try always posting on either [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] or [name_f]Monday[/name_f]… hopefully that is enough flexibility for me to stay consistent), a quick poll:

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you GENERALLY prefer my girl combos with one middle or two?

Key contrubuting info to inform your impression:
I have two middle names, as a double-barrel.
[name_f]My[/name_f] husband has his mother’s maiden name as his middle, and shares it with his sister.
[name_f]My[/name_f] kids each have one middle, but AR has a double-barrel surname with his birth mother’s maiden name and our shared family surname so:
HF - 4-2-1
AR - 5-1-3-1

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you GENERALLY prefer my combos with one middle or two?

• Generally one middle
  • Generally two middles
  • One middle except if it’s a TAM or RoCHe option because that feels like a meaningful exception

0 voters

1 Like

Week 2
[name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u]

Petra

[name_f]Petra[/name_f] is a name my partner and I can wholly agree on. His only beef with it is that it is on the shorter side, but he now no longer says this would be a dealbreaker for him. He loves the name enough to make up for it. I love the ancient feel of the name. I love the imagery of [name_f]Petra[/name_f] in [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]. I love [name_f]Petra[/name_f] Solano in [name_f]Jane[/name_f] the Virgin (what up, INTJs!). I love the simplicity, the unexpectedness, the strength, the feistiness, and the glamour.

It is a bit of a stretch, but I take the meaning, “rock,” and make it a convoluted honor for the [name_u]Roche[/name_u] side of the family. It isn’t nearly as “good” an honor in the [name_u]Roche[/name_u] sense as [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] (Week 1). However, particularly in the context of this pairing with [name_u]Jule[/name_u], it does whisper it to me.

Antigone

I absolutely love the sounds of [name_f]Antigone[/name_f]. It is so springy and yet has such heft and substance. I really enjoyed the play by Sophocles, which portrays [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] as someone who believes in justice and morality above the letter of the law, and does her best to do right by her brothers. She is willful, powerful, just, noble, intentional, countercultural in certain respects and doing her duty for honor dictated by the society in which she lived on the other hand, standing up for what she believes is right… all excellent qualities for my child to aspire to. The incest of her conception doesn’t bother me in the decision to use the name or not. [name_f]Nor[/name_f] does the suicidal ending of the Greek tragedy. I interpret the literal meaning “comparable to their father” to mean “worthy of one’s ancestors,” so it therefore means a lot to me in general as a family historian and genealogist, and is special in the context of this combo, too.

Jule

[name_u]Jule[/name_u] was the nickname of my 2nd great-grandmother [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. She was born a [name_u]Roche[/name_u] but married a [name_u]Julian[/name_u], so she spent her adult life as “[name_u]Jule[/name_u]” [name_u]Julian[/name_u]. I take [name_u]Jule[/name_u] to therefore honor the woman, [name_u]Jule[/name_u], as well as the [name_u]Julian[/name_u] line. The [name_u]Julian[/name_u] “line” survives in my grandmother’s surname she chose for herself when she got divorced, and in my mother’s middle name.

I have posted about her before, but [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_u]Jule[/name_u], was amazing. She did so many things in her life and I hate to reduce her to a couple lines, but her most impressive bit of trivia was living and working as an interior designer at [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]East[/name_u], [name_m]Frank[/name_m] [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] [name_m]Wright[/name_m]'s workshop, which was how she paid for my great grandmother to go to college as a single-mother widowed by WWI. If I were to choose just ONE singular person to honor with the name of my daughter, it would be her.

Since I need to spell this out every single time I use the name or else get tons of replies about it, the [name_f]Juul[/name_f] vaping product does not dissuade me from using this name. It has been a favorite honor name for a decade now and it isn’t going anywhere. It will be unfortunate if [name_f]Juul[/name_f] continues to grow as a company and spread everywhere throughout my daughters life, but I think/hope that it will be a much more temporary blip on our pop culture awareness. I have never in my life tried a tobacco product and I don’t intend to. I understand that it isn’t a good association and I’m not denying that. But this name is too important to me to let Big Tobacco take if from me. I might not choose to use the name, but it will not be because of [name_f]Juul[/name_f].

Petra Antigone Jule

The combo both pleasingly matches with and bucks the conventions of her brothers’ names. I can see many ways in which it is both intuitive and a good fit, and ways in which it is unexpected in both positive and negative ways.

It definitely feels like a great honor name for [name_u]Jule[/name_u] for me. The whole package sings this for me. One of the only issues with it is that [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is relegated to the second middle that won’t necessarily always be used. This is a fault of every combo I put [name_u]Jule[/name_u] in unless [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is the only middle, though, as the 1 syllable tends to sound far better against the 1 syllable of our surname than breaking up the flow of the name by putting it up front and a second middle after it.

A great point to note is that I have paired 3 names my husband really loves, here. Usually my combos are a mix of things he really likes or loves with some elements I’m hoping he will indulge or overlook. But he really would be totally on board with this one.

All I’ll add is that I have considered [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u], “[name_f]Petra[/name_f]” as well. She didn’t make the cut for the shortlist but the big plus there was a bit of extra length paired with a time/event based name like her brothers have. Curious to hear if anyone absolutely loves it (make a case!).

So. I’m curious to hear what you think of [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] on its own, and now we also have two names to compare against one another if you so choose. Thanks, Berries!

7 Likes

Petra [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] has unexpected elegance and power. It’s shorter but there’s weight and boldness to it that i quite enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

First of all, I voted for generally preferring your one middle combos unless they have significance. This is mainly because your sons only have one middle, and I prefer when siblings have the same amount of middles but it’s definitely not a dealbreaker. However, saying that I do love a lot of your two middle combos – [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] being one of them.

It’s a powerful, meaningful and gorgeous combo that would be a gift to your little girl. It’s also a plus that your husband loves every name, instead of only liking/loving some. It would be a really lovely addition to your sibset.

I also think that [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is amazing! In fact, I think I prefer it! [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] seems to fit better with H and A – it’s longer and has the time/event theme like you mentioned. It also still gives you the option to use [name_f]Petra[/name_f] as a nn.

3 Likes

Petra is unexpected! But I like it! I love the imagery and the name definitely packs a punch. It’s great that you both love the name so that gives it extra points. :blush:

Antigone sounds so beautiful doesn’t it? I think it works really well as a middle name here.

Definitely keep [name_u]Jule[/name_u] in the game. The sound is lovely and the meaning of the name to you is even more beautiful. I agree with the others that the [name_u]Jule[/name_u] combos definitely earn two middle name status.

Hmm. I do really like [name_f]Petra[/name_f] I’m just trying to decide if I like her more than some of your other names. :thinking:

2 Likes

Petra is beautiful. I love it because it feels bright, light, and fresh. The shortness doesn’t bother me but then again, that tends to generally not be a deal breaker for me. I don’t mind at all if siblings’ names are varying lengths. It’s also exciting that you’re both loving this name!

Overall, I think I prefer [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] over [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. There’s something regal and mysterious about this combo, whereas [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is more cosy and earthy.

1 Like

Wow your naming style is so beautiful, unexpected but familiar! [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is a gorgeous name , but I have to admit I am absolutely and positively smitten with Rosemerta [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] and the significance that name holds

4 Likes

So well said.

I’ve gone back and forth, for sure. The downside is my OH doesn’t like it as much.

[name_f]My[/name_f] points system is all bias so I can’t be impartial. Thanks for telling me this is important, cuz sometimes I give it zero consideration. Poor guy. :upside_down_face:

[name_f]Regal[/name_f] mystery vs. Cosy earthy is definitely a good problem to have. I love your assessments of both names.

Thank you. People coming down on both sides of the argument makes me feel happy about the combos I have constructed, even if it makes me feel the decision is more complicated.

3 Likes

I LOVE [name_f]Petra[/name_f], and this is a great combo. I like the rhythm and spikiness of it, with the softer ending of [name_u]Jule[/name_u]. The tragic elements of the [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] story turn me off a bit, but it sounds like you would have a plan for how to talk about it to your daughter. I like the contrast of [name_f]Petra[/name_f] with your boys too, and [name_u]Jule[/name_u] sounds like a great person to honor. The [name_f]Juul[/name_f] product I don’t think needs to be a dealbreaker since it’s a middle name and different spelling. Also probably likely to be temporary as you note. Overall I prefer this to [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], although I admit part of that is I don’t know how to pronounce [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]?

2 Likes

I’ve added the pronunciation next to each name above and I’ll try to do that from now on, but here’s the recording I just attached to [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] with the way I pronounce it.

Ooh yes. Elements I hadn’t put to words. Thank you.

I’m running out of steam for the day, so I’ll be brief. I love [name_f]Petra[/name_f], love [name_f]Petra[/name_f] for you specifically, and love it with your boys. I don’t think I knew that this name was one of your favorites, but I’m excited now that I know.

Jule is also lovely, in both sound and meaning. She makes a nice zippy pairing with F3lix and R@z, too.

Antigone fits in with your set, but it does nothing for me personally and the tragic elements bother me a lot.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] as two middle names, but I don’t really like [name_f]Petra[/name_f]. There’s just something about it that just sounds unappealing to me. it sounds almost bacterial or fungal to me… I also don’t love the way it flows with H and A. Still, if it’s something that both you and your husband love, then that seems ideal! I love how thought-out the honor is. I prefer [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], though! (although I do think that it might be disappointing for you not to use [name_u]Jule[/name_u] to honor that line, and [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] is simply stunning!)

1 Like

I agree with this. @dogs_books, I think the reason it may sound bacterial to you is because it sounds like a petri dish for bacteria.

2 Likes

THAT’S WHAT IT IS :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Consiseness is valuable (brevity has never been a strong suit of mine) and you’re welcome to post at any time, but if you’re tired, the beauty of the post is that it will be here for you whenever, particularly throughout the week in question.

I’ve only posted about her for my daughter a few times. It was very recently that my partner said he liked it as a first name. I’m excited, too.

LOOKS like petri dish. SOUNDS like pet, not [name_m]Peter[/name_m]. But even [name_m]Petri[/name_m] is cute. I was thinking of Petrie ([name_u]Land[/name_u] Before Time) as a pet name.

3 Likes

Hearing the pronunciation of both names has me in love with both!

3 Likes

Agreed! And now I’m excited to see what new names will come each week :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve been watching this exercise unfold this past week or so with great interest. It’s not all too surprising your feelings haven’t changed. That’s also an indicator in itself, right? I expect as you go through more names though, it will start to become clearer where each name falls in relation to others. That’s the plan at least!

To the names themselves. I’d never come across the name [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] before you shared it on your lists. [name_u]New[/name_u] or unheard of names tend to be quite divisive because they’re unfamiliar, but within minutes this one became a favourite for me out of the contenders. [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] seems the most in balance with H and A’s middle names, and I absolutely love the echoes of the ‘o’ ‘m’ and ‘r’ sounds across the combination. But since you shared your end of week comments and released the next name, I’ve felt my enthusiasm slip overall.

I hadn’t really noticed the name [name_f]Petra[/name_f] much until now. It seems so uncommon, yet everyone’s heard of it. I love that distinctive, sparky ‘P’ even though I’m usually not fond of the letter. I’m just seeing it in a completely new light, and it’s such a pleasure. I personally prefer one middle name, as is the convention in my family and where I live. I see the first, middle and surname as each holding its own position and role, so two middle names feels like it diminishes the value in that they share the one position (although I’d consider a double-barrelled name as one name with two parts). I’m very supportive of your desire to use Jule, not so enthused by [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] myself. I admire the beauty and intrigue of mythological names but I’m not drawn to them on humans. This led me down the path of wondering how meanings which are significant to the parent are later considered by the wearer. What might your daughter think of her name story? Though one can never know, it’s a curious perspective to explore.

There are aspects I enjoy about each name but when I thought about which name I’d rather have for myself, it was unquestionably [name_f]Petra[/name_f]. I found that I almost ignored the middle names entirely, because of the prominence first names take in self identity and daily life. While I adore [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] in theory, I don’t love the quirky and awkward edges on myself, nor the small impracticalities that would come with it. The streamlined, at once familiar and exotic [name_f]Petra[/name_f] is so, so attractive. I like the idea of [name_u]Pip[/name_u], [name_u]Pepper[/name_u], [name_f]Pesha[/name_f], [name_u]Pasha[/name_u] (although, [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]), [name_f]Pia[/name_f] and [name_f]Petal[/name_f] as potential nicknames around the home.

2 Likes