back to square one I think..

I told myself I wouldn’t discuss names with anyone but I slipped up today and told my mom some possibilities… she pretty much bashed every one I had picked out and had much “better” suggestions. I’m a little offended and trying not to let myself dislike my name choices just because she does. But since none of the name possibilities for baby girl have felt right I want to get some more ideas to play around with and see if maybe I can find something I love enough to not GAF what my mom says :slight_smile:

Name possibilities were:
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Vera[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]

or
[name]Hazel[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Soleil[/name], [name]Sephora[/name], [name]Aveline[/name], [name]Avani[/name]

Maybe you guys could help me open my eyes to new names I hadn’t considered.

I love nature names, and names with a vintage feel (but not completely old geezer-ish).

My son’s name is [name]Orion[/name] but sib sets don’t really matter much to me. (Originally I had [name]Orion[/name], [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Aurora[/name] picked out because I loved that I could name them after all three of my favorite things… the stars, the ocean and the dawn. but eh… )

I’m so sorry about your mother! [name]Just[/name] remember that you are the one will be with your child the most and therefore will hear their name most often.

Anyways, out of those three I like [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] best, but out of all the names I love [name]Soleil[/name]. I’ve been milling this one about my brain for a bit recently because I recently ran into a boxed set of Punky [name]Brewster[/name] episodes at the store, the actor being [name]Soleil[/name] [name]Moon[/name] Something. I think it’s a really pretty name, but the downfall is the nicknames. There’s really only [name]Sol[/name] and Lei, and I don’t really like either.

Some suggestions might be: [name]Heather[/name] (vintage and nature), [name]Juneau[/name]/[name]Juno[/name] (I think it goes amazingly with [name]Orion[/name], [name]Juneau[/name] [name]Orion[/name] being one of my top names), [name]Sage[/name], [name]Lune[/name]/[name]Luna[/name]. Best of [name]Luck[/name]~

Wow, I don’t know why she’d bash those. I’m not a fan of the indiviual names persay, but I like the combos. I love [name]Aurora[/name].
And I love your [name]Orion[/name], [name]Kai[/name], [name]Aurora[/name] combo. [name]Love[/name] it.

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Sage[/name]? I know it’s a hit name nowadays.

[name]Haven[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] would be a nice one imo.
[name]Solana[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Selena[/name]/[name]Celina[/name]/[name]Celine[/name]

I liked all of the names you have chosen, remember that in the end it has to be a name that both you and your partner love and it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks. can i ask what names your mum liked?

other names i like are…
[name]Savannah[/name]
[name]Sahara[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]
[name]Acacia[/name]
[name]Leila[/name]

What were your mothers ‘better’ suggestions? I really like your combos. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]. [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] would be adorable. Other ideas anyway:

[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Junia[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]
[name]Vivien[/name]
[name]Sarai[/name]
[name]April[/name]
[name]Avril[/name]
[name]Aviva[/name]
[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Maren[/name]
Aven
[name]Viola[/name]

I reaaally like [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Aurora[/name], but I also like [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Sephora[/name] ([name]Hazel[/name] [name]Sephora[/name]?), [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Aveline[/name] ([name]Aveline[/name] [name]Violet[/name]?)

Also, [name]Alba[/name] (and Fioralba) also means dawn, and you could always pick a color that reminds you of dawn, like [name]Amber[/name] or a name that means golden ([name]Aurelia[/name]). As far as nature names go, what about [name]Camellia[/name], [name]Coral[/name], Celandine, [name]Nerine[/name], [name]Clover[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Freesia[/name], [name]Magnolia[/name], [name]Jasmine[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Wisteria[/name], [name]Laurel[/name], [name]Lavender[/name], [name]Lilac[/name], [name]Linden[/name], [name]Maple[/name], [name]Marigold[/name], [name]Meadow[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Oriole[/name], [name]Petal[/name], Plumeria, Pomeline, [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Primrose[/name], [name]Rain[/name], [name]Saffron[/name], Seawillow, [name]Snow[/name], [name]Autumn[/name], [name]Summer[/name], [name]Winter[/name], [name]Sparrow[/name], [name]Star[/name], [name]Starling[/name], [name]Wren[/name] or [name]Twila[/name]?

[name]Coral[/name], [name]Opal[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Maple[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Magnolia[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] feel vintage to me.

My mom disliked my daughters name intensely. Me and my husband felt strong about the name so we went ahead with it, even being super close to my mom. She pulled her face every time I said the name haha. And today my mom says often how well the name suits her. If you feel strongly about a name go with it! Grannies have their own ideas about their grand kids :slight_smile:

I love alot of the names that have been suggested!

My mom likes names that are pretty common & NMS at all… she suggested [name]Emily[/name], [name]Anne[/name], [name]Annabelle[/name], etc.
She also suggested [name]Viola[/name] & [name]Alma[/name] after my two great grandmothers & my grandma’s middle name.
I would love to use them somehow but we decided not to use any family member’s names.
That’s why I like [name]Hazel[/name] & [name]Violet[/name]. [name]Hazel[/name] was the color of my grandma’s eyes, and [name]Violet[/name] is a variation of [name]Viola[/name] and also [name]Violet[/name] (purple) was my grandma’s favorite color. But we’re having a hard time loving those names 100%.

I’m gonna take some of the names you guys suggested and try them out… & I think I’m gonna pick three possible names and when they’re born and I actually see her I think I’ll know.

But more suggestions are always welcome! :slight_smile:

[name]LOVE[/name]:
[name]Juno[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Solana[/name]
[name]Leila[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Coral[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]
[name]Vivien[/name]
[name]Sarai[/name]

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I like all of your choices, more ideas:

Dreama
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Starla[/name]

If you have a name you love with certainty, I’d stick with it. I did so with my second son: my mother hated the name from the get-go, and I usually trust/value her opinion, and generally take it, but she just had a different association with that particular name. She’s gotten used to it and admits now it even fits him.

I’d try to make sure it’s name you really love though so you don’t have her negative opinion rattling around in your head in addition to your own doubts, kwim?
GL!

GL!

My mother didn’t initially like my kids names either. [name]Don[/name]'t let that sway you. She will probably come to love whatever you choose. I love [name]Scarlett[/name]! My mil hates the names I like and she explained that they seem like the ole fogey names of her day. I think they came around 1st of all when they associated the name to the child, and also, they heard so many positive responses to the names. I would guess, she would experience a similar thing. Go with what you love!!

I don’t have this experience myself (my family loves the name I used for my son), but I’ve heard so many times that a grandma hated the name chosen for her grandchild, but once the baby was born, she gets used to it or even gets to like it - because it’s associated with her wonderful grandchild. Choose what you like the best.

She hated my son’s name too and still tells me I should have named him [name]Matthew[/name] instead of [name]Orion[/name]… even though there are like 12+ [name]Matthews[/name] on my fiance’s side of the family and [name]Matthew[/name] has absolutely no meaning for me. Today she is insisting upon [name]Aiden[/name] & [name]Amelia[/name]. [name]Aiden[/name] was on my name list when I was 12… now that it’s crazy popular I wouldn’t ever name my son that. Same with [name]Amelia[/name]… way too popular. I know I’ll end up going with my gut and not taking her name choices but I want a few more possibilities so I’ll know when I find the right one. [name]Scarlett[/name] is lovely but Idk if it’s the perfect name.

I love [name]Soleil[/name] but it’s probably better as a middle name. [name]Hazel[/name] is also gorgeous. Out of the combos I do like [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Aurora[/name], but I think a compromise would be [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Aurora[/name]. [name]Charlotte[/name] of course being more established and less yucky to your mom.

That being said, I really think you should disregard your mom’s opinions if you really love a name that she doesn’t. I’ve been in that position, and gave up a name I really loved. I will admit I found a name I loved more because of it, but I was very angry and now I don’t tell them any name we’ve picked except [name]Zebulon[/name] [name]Yul[/name]. If we’re expecting a girl we use Zebulina [name]Yul[/name] instead. :wink: It’s actually how we announced the sonogram photos with the last baby haha. It’s very therapeutic to out and out be like 'too bad, we’re not telling you yet".

My daughter’s name is [name]Saige[/name]. When I told my mil I was considering that name she said very sternly that she will NOT allow her granddaughter to be named after a spice. My daughter is now almost 3 and my mil let’s me know all the time how much she loves her name. She tells me how pretty it is and how it suits her so much.
My faves on your list are sage and [name]Hazel[/name]!

i absolutely agree with the above posters, go with the name you love! I’ll also add one more name suggestion because you said you love the ocean: [name]Pacifica[/name]!