Back to square one...

My husband and I were set on the name [name]Harlow[/name] for a girl. I was hesitant about telling my mom our choice because, as she puts it, I “have the weirdest taste in names”. Well, she hates it, thinks it’s a terrible name and swears it will never even grow on her. I’m able to laugh about this because I expected this reaction and willing to look for other options because I value my mom’s opinion. I’d hate for her to despise her granddaughter’s name.

[name]Every[/name] name I love comes with a problem. I love [name]Willow[/name], but unfortunately so does my sister in law. [name]Magnolia[/name] was another choice but I’m afraid she’ll forever be called [name]Maggie[/name] and I had a dog by that name growing up. [name]Love[/name] [name]Shiloh[/name] but with a last name starting with “Sh” it just wouldn’t work.

I would greatly appreciate any/all suggestions! :slight_smile:

Some nature names you might like:

[name]Azalea[/name] - “[name]Lea[/name]”
[name]Camellia[/name] - “[name]Cami[/name],” “[name]Mel[/name],” “[name]Lia[/name]”
[name]Jessamine[/name] - “[name]Jess[/name],” “[name]Jessie[/name],” “[name]Jessa[/name],” “[name]Mina[/name],” “[name]Minnie[/name]”
[name]Marigold[/name] - “[name]Mari[/name],” “[name]Mara[/name],” “[name]Goldie[/name]”

[name]Juniper[/name] - “[name]June[/name],” “[name]Junie[/name],” “[name]Peri[/name]”

[name]Briar[/name]
[name]Lark[/name]
[name]Winter[/name]
[name]Wren[/name]

I’d recommend a more traditional middle name with all of these, as in [name]Jessamine[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Emma[/name], [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], or [name]Lark[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], for starters.

As for that unisex, quirky feel, here are more suggestions:

[name]Adair[/name] - “[name]Ada[/name],” “[name]Addie[/name]”
[name]Bevin[/name]
[name]Delaney[/name] - “Dela,” “[name]Laney[/name]”
[name]Ellis[/name] - “[name]Elle[/name],” “[name]Ellie[/name],” “[name]Ella[/name]”
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Tatum[/name]

With these, I’d pair a very feminine middle name, as in [name]Adair[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Harper[/name] [name]Juliet[/name], or [name]Tatum[/name] [name]Fiona[/name].

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Harlow[/name]. I think it’s very feminine! You could choose a more traditional mn.

[name]Magnolia[/name] is cute, and I don’t think she would be destined to be called [name]Maggie[/name]. One other nickname for [name]Magnolia[/name] could be super cute [name]Nola[/name], or even [name]Lia[/name].

I was also going to suggest [name]Nola[/name] for [name]Magnolia[/name]'s nn…I like that a lot!

Did you explain to your mom the connection with [name]Jean[/name] [name]Harlow[/name]? Maybe she’d think it was cuter/classier, then?? I know it’s hard if your mom doesn’t like a name (my mom thought one of the names we were considering as “hideous” and it did bother me) but it really is your daughter, not hers. I say if you like it that much, name her [name]Harlow[/name]. Is this your first child - will it be your mom’s first grandchild? I’m sure as soon as she holds her she won’t care what her name is! :slight_smile:

i agree–and if she DOES care, gramma will come up with her own nn. my mil called my elder son “[name]Buddy[/name]” because she didn’t like his name. while she still occasionally uses [name]Buddy[/name] in private, she mostly uses his given name now–because HE likes it!!!

good luck.

What about [name]Marlow[/name]?

Others:
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Skylar[/name]
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name] “[name]Nola[/name]”
[name]Viola[/name]

Thank you for all the great suggestions!

I’ve always though the nn “[name]Nolie[/name]” would be cute for [name]Magnolia[/name]. I’m definitely keeping my choices on top of the list. I do love [name]Harlow[/name] and I think if it were my name, I would love that it was different and classy. I do think the name would eventually grow on my mom. [name]Audra[/name] is very pretty, so is [name]Winter[/name] but my last name is Sheetz so I think it just sounds like words thrown together instead of a name. Well we have some time so we’ll figure it all out, thanks again for the help! :slight_smile: