Back to the drawing board--I think

I posted a couple of weeks ago looking for a name for my daughter, expected at the end of the summer. Big sister is [name]Bea[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name].

In any event, in my last thread the clear winner [name]LOUISA[/name] emerged, nn [name]Lou[/name]. Stylistically it goes well with [name]Beatrice[/name], is of about equal rarity, and I do like the name. Unfortunately, I have started to have second thoughts, mainly because I’m not convinced it sounds ok with my last name, which is heavy on the L and S sounds and also has a long ‘e’ in it.

Recently I’ve fallen in love with the name [name]Audrey[/name]–but it is much more popular than names I usually consider, at number 49. And of course I worry about one daughter having a popular name and the other having a rare name. I think maybe we all do tend to over-do the ‘what if it gets popular’ concern, and maybe I could handle it if it didn’t become MORE popular than it already is, but if it ends up in the top 20, another [name]Sophia[/name] / [name]Ava[/name], ugh, I don’t know…

Anyway, I’ve considered [name]Audra[/name] as a ‘rarer’ alternative, but I think I like the actual sound of [name]Audrey[/name] better.

We were also considering [name]Caroline[/name] but have ruled it out since there seemed to be no nickname I could see myself using.

Opinions? Other ideas? Thanks so much!

If you really love [name]Audrey[/name], I think you should go with it. It is more popular than [name]Beatrice[/name], but both are familiar, classic and timeless and I think they go very nicely together. The only issue I see is that [name]Audrey[/name] has no clear nickname. There’s [name]Audi[/name] and [name]Dree[/name] but it’s not intuitive like [name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Bea[/name] and I remember that being a major part of your last thread. However, if you really do love it, then you should use it. [name]Audra[/name] doesn’t feel as classic. There’s also [name]Audrina[/name], which I really like, and [name]Audriana[/name] which is a lot frillier (not a bad thing).

Have you considered [name]Andrea[/name]? It’s similar to [name]Audrey[/name]. I love it when pronounced ahn-DRAY-uh, though the an-[name]DREE[/name]-ah pronounciation isn’t bad either. It’s very classic, imo. And [name]Andie[/name] is so cute with [name]Bea[/name]. It’s less popular than [name]Audrey[/name], though a lot more popular than [name]Beatrice[/name].

I do love [name]Caroline[/name], but I remember you didn’t love any nicknames. [name]How[/name] about [name]Carolina[/name]? I actually love it more with [name]Beatrice[/name] than I do [name]Caroline[/name]. [name]Carolina[/name] yields the nickname [name]Lina[/name] ([name]LEENA[/name]) which I think is super cute.

[name]Just[/name] for the heck of it I looked up what names are similar in popularity to [name]Beatrice[/name] at the moment. I nixed all trendy names and strange spellings and came up with a few interesting ones. You can ignore these if you’ve considered all or any of them of course:

BTW I’m doing this based of 2009 name stats. [name]Beatrice[/name] was 860 last year.

[name]Frances[/name] (802)
[name]Alma[/name] (820)
[name]Rosalie[/name] (840)
[name]Pamela[/name] (845)
[name]Edith[/name] (846)
[name]Damaris[/name] (871)
[name]Charity[/name] (876)
[name]Eloise[/name] (917)

Not sure if any of those are what you’re looking for. Also, if it helps I do really love [name]Louisa[/name] and if it’s not terrible with your last name and you love it, it could work. I know plenty of people with interesting first/last name combos but it’s never affected them (I know a girl… let’s say her first name is [name]Mara[/name] and her last name is Stara. So yes, her name is [name]Mara[/name] Stara. It rhymes, but she’s lived!).

I just started liking [name]Lucinda[/name], nn. [name]Lucy[/name] (or [name]Cindy[/name] if you prefer it). I’ll think about it some more and maybe get back to you with more ideas.

[name]Stephanie[/name]

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I know, the nickname thing is kind of an issue with [name]Audrey[/name], though not as much as I believe it would be with [name]Caroline[/name], since it only has two syllables. We must sound like the laziest people alive, but I can’t imagine anyone in my family saying a three syllable name ALL the time, though I could imagine being able to handle two:)

[name]Edith[/name] is actually one of my very favorite names. BUT, I should have mentioned, my son is [name]Edward[/name], and since he’s a baby, we call him [name]Eddie[/name]! I would be using [name]Edith[/name], nn [name]Edie[/name], otherwise. I didn’t mention my son in my earlier thread because I was mainly interested in matching the style of my daughter’s name. But yes, it that would be a conflict!

[name]Frances[/name] I do like a lot–but my mom dislikes it. I’m also not sure I like the nickname [name]Franny[/name] or [name]Fanny[/name] at all. But [name]Frankie[/name] I might be able to get on board with.

For some reason I have a bad association with the name [name]Andrea[/name]. Horrid girl from junior high:)

Thanks again for your help…

I thought of [name]Lucinda[/name] as well. I do like it. But I think this name lends itself automatically to [name]Lucy[/name]–and I know about 3 of them under 3 at the moment.

[name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] are adorable but if it doesn’t fair well with your last name and you’re falling out of love with it, definitely consider something else.

[name]Audrey[/name] isn’t really my style but I’m also a fan of just going with what you love and not worrying about siblings matching. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Aura[/name]?

I love the suggestion of [name]Carolina[/name] ‘[name]Lina[/name].’ That name is beautiful. [name]Even[/name] the nickname is beautiful.

[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Aggie[/name] ([name]Agatha[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name] ([name]Magdalene[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Lena[/name] ([name]Magdalena[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Etta[/name] ([name]Julietta[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Della[/name] ([name]Adella[/name], [name]Delilah[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Nora[/name] ([name]Eleanora[/name]/[name]Eleanor[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Ginny[/name] ([name]Ginevra[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] ([name]Cecily[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Rosie[/name] ([name]Rosalind[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Lindy[/name] ([name]Rosalind[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Nell[/name] ([name]Cornelia[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Viv/name ([name]Vivian[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Allie[/name] ([name]Althea[/name]/[name]Alethea[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Mae[/name] ([name]Esme[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Pru[/name] ([name]Prudence[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Mona[/name] ([name]Ramona[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Cora[/name] ([name]Cornelia[/name]/[name]Cordelia[/name]/[name]Corina[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Lola[/name] ([name]Viola[/name]/[name]Penelope[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Millie[/name] ([name]Meredith[/name]/[name]Camilla[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Nina[/name] ([name]Carina[/name]/[name]Seraphina[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Tessie[/name]/[name]Tessa[/name] ([name]Theresa[/name])
[name]Bea[/name] and [name]Lora[/name] ([name]Florence[/name])

Thank you… I do like the name [name]Carolina[/name], but [name]Caroline[/name] feels cleaner to me somehow–and also, I’m not sure I’d want to add an extra syllable for a name I’m already pressed to find a good nickname for.

You know, of all your suggestions I actually love [name]Ramona[/name] the most, nn [name]Mo[/name], but I just think the Beezus and [name]Ramona[/name] reference is too strong there.

I like [name]Esme[/name].

I really am on the fence about [name]Louisa[/name]. But I’ve been changing my mind on names this whole pregnancy… nothing seems to stick for very long, unfortunately.

As for [name]Aura[/name]… no, sorry, it’s hard for me to shake my thought of ‘visual disturbance’.

I’m having more doubts about [name]Audrey[/name] though. I think in the end the popularity may really be a clincher for me.

I also love [name]Audrey[/name], but don’t think I can pick it based on popularity. I have kicked around [name]Aubrey[/name] instead. or maybe even [name]Adriene[/name].

Of course there is [name]Audrina[/name], [name]Audriana[/name], [name]Audra[/name]

I love [name]Caroline[/name]! It goes so well with [name]Beatrice[/name]! As far as the nickname problem, I know 2 Carolines that go strictly by [name]Caroline[/name], with no nickname.

[name]How[/name] about these for nn’s:
[name]Carrie[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]
[name]Claire[/name] (this name has the same letters as in [name]Caroline[/name])

Good luck!

To the person considering [name]Aubrey[/name] to avoid [name]Audrey[/name]'s popularity–well, it’s actually more popular than [name]Audrey[/name]–#41 to [name]Audrey[/name]'s #49 on the 2009 chart. I know, you can’t win…
I thought of [name]Adrienne[/name] as well… but couldn’t really seem to love it totally. It is nice though–classic and not heard too much.

Thanks to the person who still likes [name]Caroline[/name]. It may win out in the end after all. Funny you suggested [name]Claire[/name] as a nn… It’s my mom’s favorite name. I don’t know if I’d want to get quite so derivative for the nn in reality, but maybe [name]Caroline[/name] will just go by her full name. I’m not keen on [name]Cara[/name] or carrie I’m afraid.

I know a [name]Caroline[/name] who goes by [name]Carly[/name] and another who goes by [name]Linnie[/name] ([name]Lee[/name]-knee).

Maybe it’s been suggested but [name]Eloise[/name]/[name]Eloisa[/name]?

[name]Hi[/name]—I think [name]Linnie[/name] is cute. But it’s weird with my last name (as is [name]Louisa[/name] and it’s variants, possibly, as my last name nearly rhymes with [name]Louise[/name]!)

I don’t really think [name]Carley[/name] is my style, unfortunately.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Dorothea[/name]/[name]Dorothy[/name], nickname [name]Dot[/name]? It matches perfectly stylistically with [name]Beatrice[/name] and even [name]Edward[/name]! [name]Bea[/name], [name]Eddie[/name] and [name]Dot[/name] sound so cute together!
[name]How[/name] about these names that lead to great nicknames:
[name]Eleanor[/name] - [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Elle[/name] (I would suggest [name]Ellie[/name], but might be a bit much with [name]Eddie[/name])
[name]Harriet[/name] - [name]Hattie[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] this with [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Edward[/name])
[name]Georgia[/name] - [name]Georgie[/name] (not much of a help if you want a shorter nn, but still great with [name]Bea[/name])
[name]Emmeline[/name] - [name]Em[/name], [name]Emme[/name]/[name]Emmie[/name] or [name]Emma[/name] (great alternative to [name]Caroline[/name])
[name]Philipa[/name] - [name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] - [name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] - [name]Ali[/name] (short enough, but a good substitute)
[name]Demetria[/name] - [name]Demi[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name] - [name]Cate[/name], [name]Cricket[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] - [name]Maggie[/name]
[name]Adele[/name] - [name]Addie[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]- Cece
[name]Charlotte[/name] - [name]Lottie[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] - short enough for no nickname, matches great with [name]Bea[/name]!
[name]Mabel[/name] - “” “”
[name]Agnes[/name] - [name]Aggie[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name] - [name]Winnie[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

The popularity would be the deal breaker for me too (and lack of a good NN)… here is my attempt at suggestions for classic underused names:

[name]Gwendolyn[/name] ([name]Gwen[/name]) - 585
[name]Kathleen[/name] ([name]Katie[/name], [name]Kat[/name]) - 564
[name]Tabitha[/name] ([name]Tabby[/name]) - 644
[name]Regina[/name] ([name]Gina[/name]) - 711
[name]Rosemary[/name] ([name]Rose[/name]) -717
[name]Judith[/name] ([name]Judy[/name] or [name]Jude[/name])- 769

[name]How[/name] about making “[name]Audrey[/name]” your own, Like “Audricia” Or “Audrice”

[name]How[/name] about [name]Adria[/name]? Nn could be [name]Addie[/name]. I don’t know if this is you style, but it is kind of similar to [name]Audrey[/name], and definitely more unusual.
Oh, wait, I just remembered [name]Eddie[/name]! [name]Addie[/name] and [name]Eddie[/name] are way to close.
Lets see… [name]Adrie[/name]? On second thought maybe that sounds to similar to [name]Bea[/name].
Sorry this hasn’t been very helpful!

Haha–yes, I’m turning out to be a real problem… this round and round has been the story of this particular name search, I’m telling you.

I was gonna suggest carly too! I love that nn.
[name]How[/name] about
[name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Esther[/name] nn [name]Etta[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name] nn [name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Teresa[/name] nn [name]Tess[/name]/[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name] nn [name]Ginny[/name]