Back to the Drawing Board…

My boys’ list is beginning to crumble a little bit. I’m back to having no middle name for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], as Hubby really just isn’t keen on [name_u]Noah[/name_u]. [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] is off the table. [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] recently incurred the veto, so I collected a beautiful list of 33 names to use as firsts for [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], with help from the Berries…and my Husband only likes [name_f]ONE[/name_f] of them: [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]. Unfortunately, there is already one [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolff[/name_m] in the world, and it just feels weird…like naming a child [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] or [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f]. He does truly like [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], but I’m sort of lukewarm about it.

The other names he didn’t veto (but is definitely lukewarm about): [name_m]Alaric[/name_m], [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], [name_m]Philemon[/name_m], and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]. He decided [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] is middle-only status. Remiel he didn’t flat out veto, but it makes him picture a ratlike weaselly person. Which makes me SO SAD because I love this name and think it’s beautiful and gentle and shepherd-like. Other names that I truly loved that met the veto: [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Phineas[/name_m], and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m].

As you can see, I’m all over the place. At this point, I kinda feel like I’ve seen all the names that are within the spectrum of what I like. Anything else is either too common, already vetoed, or too out-there. It’s kind of discouraging.

Husband tends to lean toward Biblical names, perhaps because they’re more familiar. Anything with a weird spelling, too ethnic, or otherwise “not practical” gets vetoed ([name_m]Patrick[/name_m] got the axe because we’re not Irish enough -_-).

I want names to have a spark of magic and specialness. I do love word names, but Hubs only accepts them as middles. Astronomy, history, philosophy, literature, fantasy, mythology, and nature are my main sources of inspiration. I like the Biblical names too, but only if they’re unusual – no [name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_m]David[/name_m], or [name_m]John[/name_m].

Can you think of any names I may have missed? Should I just use [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] as a middle for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]? What about [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]? [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] is rather lovely. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] works despite the association, and if so, any advice to help me love [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] more?

Suggestions, new name ideas, and comments are more than welcome. I’m just really confused!

Oh no. :frowning: I’m at work on my phone and NB is being difficult so I won’t comment much, I’ll be back later. Two quick thoughts: [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Alaric[/name_m] sounds rather dashing and have you thought of [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]? That might be too much for you, but I think it’s pretty rad.

Sorry about the disarray of your boys’ list. I can only sympathize to a degree, since my lists have to remain playthings as long as I remain unmarried!

My thoughts on [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] are that it’s very handsome and I wouldn’t change it unless you get lots of feedback from people saying they can only think of the author. I wasn’t sure who [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolff[/name_m] was, so I Googled him. The good news there is that even the first Google page shows you he isn’t the only [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolff[/name_m] in the world; the first page also yields [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] Barrington [name_m]Wolff[/name_m] (wow, I admire his parents’ style!), a law professor at [name_m]Penn[/name_m] [name_m]Law[/name_m].

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is one of my favorite boys’ names. It’s familiar, yet not crazy-popular; it’s decidedly masculine, with a quiet, sturdy vibe (to me); it sounds Biblical without actually being so, if that makes a difference to you (the Biblical version is [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m]); and it has an awesome meaning (“God is good.”) It comes with happy, friendly nickname [name_u]Toby[/name_u], too, if you like nicknames.

My thought on [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] is that you should keep looking. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] doesn’t sound so great, [name_f]IMO[/name_f], and while [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] is way better, I still prefer a bit more of a rhythmic mix-up when it comes to combos. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] actually sound quite similar side by side.

Unusual Bible names I like, in no particular order:

[name_m]Jotham[/name_m]
Jezreel
[name_m]Jubal[/name_m] (I so wish people would use more of these J-names, instead of the same old [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], [name_m]Joshua[/name_m], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u]! Those are all magnificent names which are losing their magnificence by virtue of overuse.)
[name_m]Israel[/name_m]
Othniel (I want someone to use this name so badly! I have never seen it in real life and don’t know why. He was [name_m]Caleb[/name_m]'s nephew and son-in-law, the first judge of [name_m]Israel[/name_m].)
[name_m]Adonijah[/name_m] (I actually know a little boy with this name. Sibs are H0pe, Ed3n (boy), El1sha and H@nnah. If you end up with a [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], though, I wouldn’t recommend this one–ugly sibling backstory.)
[name_m]Barnabas[/name_m] (Why has this never been in the U.S. Top 1000?)
[name_m]Saul[/name_m]
Zaccai (a recent find, courtesy of southern.maple. Or you could use the “Greekified” version, [name_m]Zacchaeus[/name_m].)
[name_m]Zebedee[/name_m]
[name_m]Zebulun[/name_m]
[name_m]Hosea[/name_m]
[name_m]Ozias[/name_m]

Best wishes!

Oh no, my love, I’m so sorry! Bad Hubby, what shall we do with you? I like [name_f]Fey[/name_f]'s [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] suggestion, but if I remember correctly you (by you I mean Hubs) want a “normal” middle for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]? If not I think [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]'s a-smashing. I like [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] as well, it’s very sweet and angelic.

I don’t know if I can convince you on [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], but I will try. For me [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is one of these names that always seem to belong to someone very clever, intellectual and skilled, someone serious and educated. Probably because my father took me to temple a lot when I was little and [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is a popular name in the Jewish community. I actually had a rabbi named [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]. Then there was this character in one of my favourite books when I was little, but it’s Norwegian so I very much doubt you’ve read it. The [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] character is a wise, old man who lives in a tower and predicts the weather. He’s got a long beard. I don’t think [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] is a problem, I think it’s far off from being the same as naming your child [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] or [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f].

I love aurora’s suggestions of Othniel and [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m].

Suggestions with [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]:
[name_u]Azariah[/name_u]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m]
[name_m]Cornelius[/name_m]
[name_m]Darius[/name_m]
[name_m]Ephraim[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_m]Lemuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m]
[name_m]Samson[/name_m]

If husband comes around to it more, I’ve always though that [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] go really well together. [name_m]Both[/name_m] have been on my list at times. I must say that I’m not a huge fan of [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] even though I like both names separately. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] works better since the cadences are a bit different and less redundant, so I much prefer that choice. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Alaric[/name_m] works equally as well, though that’s a lot of princes and kings in one combo.

I don’t think the author [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] is that big an issue, but as a pp mentioned, perhaps [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] would seem a better option for you?

(Also, forgive me because I know this is verging on blasphemy, but when I was writing them all out I couldn’t help but think that [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] and [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] would be pretty breathtaking. I obviously don’t have your sentimentality to the combos though so I’m not sure you’d be willing to swap.)

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Alaric[/name_m] or [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], ANYTHING but [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] (sounds like a foot disease), but it’s less offenseive in the middle spot where the icky ‘[name_u]Toby[/name_u]’ nn can be avoided. I found a couple more Bible names–[name_m]Heber[/name_m] and Heman were brothers of American patriot [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] [name_m]Allen[/name_m] (the parents only used Bible names). Good luck!

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Wolff[/name_m] sounds amazing! Tricky one to top…

So he liked [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], it was just the origin? From which does he prefer?

Here’s a few I’ll throw at you, can’t promise it’ll be of much help tho :s :smiley:

Temujin (Tamojin- unofficial variation) [name_f]May[/name_f] not ‘flow’ well with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], but I’m dropping this one like it’s hot :wink:
[name_m]Beau[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
Rata - meaning ‘tree’ if i recall
Eames
[name_m]Remus[/name_m]
[name_m]Coen[/name_m] - Dutch diminutive of Coenraad ’ bold advisor’

I don’t envy you atm!! What a shame, your list was truly gorgeous…best of luck there:D bloody men eh?

Dresden Wolff :smiley:

I love [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]! Other mn ideas:
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Lars[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Japheth[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Laurence[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Reginald[/name_m]

Hmm…
I’m really not a fan of [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], especially with [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] the connection with the other [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] is just too strong. If you are going to use [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] I would use [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] instead. Remiel is okay not my style.

I would totally dismiss any name that has been vetoed ignore [name_m]Gideon[/name_m]. From the names he’s lukewarm about I like [name_m]Alaric[/name_m], [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], and [name_m]Philemon[/name_m]. I dislike [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] but he does sound good with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m].

I do really love [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]!!

Middle names for [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]:
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Axel[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_u]Jameson[/name_u]

Astronomy names:
[name_m]Leonid[/name_m]
[name_m]Sirius[/name_m]
[name_m]Jupiter[/name_m]
[name_m]Mars[/name_m]
[name_m]Janus[/name_m]
[name_m]Altair[/name_m]

Historical names:
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Julius[/name_m]
[name_m]Luther[/name_m]
[name_m]Homer[/name_m]
[name_m]Nelson[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]

Philosophical names:
[name_m]Augustine[/name_m]
[name_m]Aristotle[/name_m]
[name_m]Quintin[/name_m]
[name_m]Noam[/name_m]
[name_m]Benedetto[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucretius[/name_m]

Literature names:
[name_u]Amory[/name_u]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_m]Cato[/name_m]
[name_m]Gulliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Holden[/name_m]
[name_m]Ishmael[/name_m]

[name_f]Fantasy[/name_f] names:
[name_m]Caradoc[/name_m]
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m]
[name_m]Fortunato[/name_m]
Valdrien
[name_m]Ciro[/name_m]
[name_m]Zorian[/name_m]

Mythological names:
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]
[name_m]Eros[/name_m]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_m]Oceanus[/name_m]
[name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]

Nature names:
[name_u]Leaf[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_m]Rocket[/name_m]
[name_m]Fox[/name_m]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u]
[name_m]Bear[/name_m]

Biblical names:
[name_u]Asa[/name_u]
[name_m]Enoch[/name_m]
[name_m]Nehemiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Ephraim[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Moses[/name_m]

fey – I do love [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Alaric[/name_m]…[name_m]Ric[/name_m] was on my original middle list for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], but Hubby vetoed him back then. I was surprised that he didn’t outright veto the name this time. I mean a maybe is pretty noncommittal, but it’s not a no! And my FIL is [name_m]Eric[/name_m], so maybe I can make the connection of family significance there. While [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] is definitely not too much for me, it’s too much for Husband. He wants at least one “practical” name in each combo.

auroradawn - You seem to be right on board with my Husband as far as [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] goes! He says it’s brown and bookish, which appeals to him. [name_m]Brown[/name_m], to Husband, means stable, earthy, and strong. That is the most descriptive that he’s ever been with a name! I’m really not a fan of [name_u]Toby[/name_u]…wasn’t that the name of the dog in the [name_m]Dick[/name_m] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] readers? I think if I went with [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], his nickname would just be [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], or Wolfie when a baby. Thanks for helping me warm up to the name! I really want to like it for his sake…I’m not quite there yet, but you’ve definitely helped :slight_smile:
I definitely prefer [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] over [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], but I agree with you that the rhythm gets a little bouncy. My preferred middles are [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Frost[/name_u], and [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], but they’re all too fanciful for Husband.
Othniel and [name_m]Israel[/name_m] are great suggestions; I’d never considered them before. Not sure I can see myself hollering Othniel across the playground, but I’ll have a think. Thanks so much!!!

otterbot – You’re right on with Hubs wanting a “normal” middle for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]. He says he doesn’t want normal, just practical – whatever that means. Your description of [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] helps; I love the wise old man image. That’s just how I picture Hubby when he grows up :wink: I’m glad you don’t think [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] is too much…maybe I should make a poll to see what the general opinion is. Maybe most people haven’t heard of him?
[name_f]Nyah[/name_f]!! [name_f]Epiphany[/name_f] moment: I finally figured out why I don’t like [name_m]Boaz[/name_m]! It’s never made sense to me, cause he’s an awesome guy and I love the whole [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] story, but the name has always repelled me. It’s because of Bozo the clown!! D’oh! >_<
On your list, I love Ezra but Husband said it’s too girly. Yeah. We argued about that one for like 20 minutes. I was shocked. Ephraim has been suggested several times, but I’ve never really considered him. Ephraim…I do like the soft PH sound…I’ll have to mull this one over for a bit. I also like Cornelius, but it’s a bit like Othniel – can I really see this on a future child? Thanks so much for the suggestions, sweets! You always give me so much to think about :slight_smile:

amesy – That settles it. If you, lifelong lover of Gabriel, don’t like the Caspian Gabriel combo, it’s officially out! Sebastian and Tobias do work well together. I like Sebastian Wolf for the dashing sound and roguish flair, but come to think of it, calm and stable Tobias might resonate more with how I picture our child. Another vote for Caspian Alaric! It is rather regal, I agree…hm. I get such an explorer vibe from Caspian so I’d love to have something in the middle that emphasizes that aspect. Tobiah is a no-go for me – I hear “to buy a wolf.” Eek.
Gasp! The heresy! Haha. While I can see the beauty in Solomon Wolf - all sleek and silvery and full-moon-ish with those long O’s everywhere – I couldn’t let go of my beloved Fable. And Tobias Fable is just NOT the same at all. I don’t know why. Thanks, you’ve really given me some things to think about!

rkrd – I agree with you that Toby is icky. Heber and Heman are not my style (especially Heman, because of the popular He-Man cartoon. I can just hear Hubby now…) but I’d never thought of Ethan! It’s rather nice actually.

aveline_bellefleur – Have I complimented you on your username yet? It’s so lovely. I think the issue with Patrick was that he couldn’t dissociate it from Saint Patrick’s Day, which is so very Irish. He has German and Jewish blood (and the Jew-fro to boot), whereas I’m a mutt. However, I am a quarter Native American, albeit three different tribes. I’ve never really delved into the Native American names because of how concerned he is with practicality…but family history seems to be increasingly important to him, so maybe I should give those a shot?
Temujin is fun, but he’ll never go for the Genghis Khan connection. Daniel is a tricky one. It’s a very meaningful name in my family, but it is just so painfully common and there are two cousins in Husband’s family named Daniel. Can anyone think of a way to get to honor a Daniel without actually using the name Daniel?

judyariel – I love Archer and Gray, but they won’t make it past Hubby. Archer because of the TV show and Gray because of that gosh darn 50 Shades. Raphael is beautiful, but already vetoed. I’m with Aveline – bloody men!

tori – I definitely need to get a poll going on Tobias Wolf…I’m not familiar with the author Tobias Wolff myself, only found him through the Tobias NB entry. I need to see how popular he is before settling on this choice.
Ooh such beautiful lists! I love Sirius, Altair, Luther, Augustine, Aristotle (that one’s going in the GP pile for sure), Atticus, Ishmael (another GP, there’s going to be trouble with this one over the Biblical story), Emrys (I used to dislike this one, but I’m really warming up to him after having read a few more Merlin-based series), Atlas (GP due to the Hubby veto), Zephyr (too much Z with Zion, I think), Fox, and Sage. I loved Gideon for a long time, but he’s off the table now. Ephraim is going on the to-be-mulled-over list. Nehemiah is out because of the Nemo nickname which has horrible associations for me. Enoch was on my list for a while, and I don’t know where he went! Into the mulling pile with Ephraim.

Sorry for this absolute BOOK of a reply, but you’ve all been so helpful and thought-provoking. I really appreciate the feedback!

Oooh, I like all of your E suggestions! [name_m]Ethan[/name_m], [name_m]Ephraim[/name_m], and [name_m]Enoch[/name_m]… [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]. Yikes! To-buy-a-wolf, no you’re right, that would not be good haha.
Some explorer-inspired names:

[[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]] [name_m]Boone[/name_m] (great meaning; great [name_m]Ian[/name_m] Somerhalder image :wink: and you could maybe also use it to honor [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]?)
[[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]] [name_m]Davis[/name_m]
[name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] [Magellan]
[name_m]Hernando[/name_m]/[name_m]Fernando[/name_m] (for meanings)
[name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] [Bunnell]
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m] (I assume you can’t use Meriwether and [name_m]Clark[/name_m] is alliterative. Could also be for [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] [name_u]Carroll[/name_u] which is unrelated but awesome)
[name_m]Nestor[/name_m] (for it’s meaning)
[name_m]Salvador[/name_m] [Fidalgo] I saw this and I admit it’s mostly just on the list because of the [name_m]Salvatore[/name_m] brothers…
[name_m]Walter[/name_m] [or [name_u]Raleigh[/name_u]]

Oh I’m seconding [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] here! It’s on my own middle list, so many great associations. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] among others! My suggestions were crap, I know, I just listed the Bible names I could think of and I’m not good at those. I like [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] too. [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]. [name_f]Amy[/name_f]'s a genius.

amy – [name_m]Ephraim[/name_m] is beginning to grow on me, and [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] has a great feel, cool and suave. Ooh, explorer names! I like the idea of [name_m]Boone[/name_m], but not sure where I would put it. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Boone[/name_m] seems like it has too many similar letters, the melody gets hung up in the P/B/Ns. [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] was sadly vetoed…[name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] is tempting, but I don’t expect him to go for it, so I won’t get too attached, even though Magellan is an awesome namesake! [name_m]Salvador[/name_m] for the Salvatores! I can totally see it, but [name_m]Damon[/name_m] didn’t fare well for that very reason. Sigh.
You may have found me an absolute gem though: [name_u]Raleigh[/name_u]! Sir [name_m]Walter[/name_m] [name_u]Raleigh[/name_u] is one of my favorite historical figures - I love the story of him and [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and there’s the spooky Roanoke colony - the name is lyrical and gentlemanly, and it somewhat references my southern roots (capitol of NC). And the meaning! [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] full of deer, how lovely. I think [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Raleigh[/name_u] is pretty darn cool.

ottilie – Your suggestions are so not crap! [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] is off-limits for us because of personal associations, despite all the lovely [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]-ness. But I like [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] more every time I hear it! And [name_f]Amy[/name_f] is most definitely a genius :wink: You both are!!

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] sounds great, but I would probably assume you were a fan of the writer. I’m not sure how well known he is, honestly. I know of him because I was obsessed with [name_m]Leo[/name_m] Dicaprio when I was a teenager, and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] was in the movie based on the book. It’s rather bleak. If you go with [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], I’d read some of his stuff so you’re at least familiar with it. All I’ve read is This Boy’s Life.

I think [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] works with a ton of names, it’s just finding one you both like. I’m fairly certain I’m going to be suggesting names I’ve already suggested.

Absolom [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Eliot[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
Ezekial [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Jericho[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Lazarus[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Merrick[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobin[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Zachariah[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Amos[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Leander[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Matthias[/name_m]

I seem to have gone off into bible land. :slight_smile: I’m not religious, but there are so many gorgeous names from the bible.

I’m just going to throw a bunch of biblical/biblical sounding names out. Sorry for any repeats and for mentioning something you said was off the list.

[name_m]Azrael[/name_m]/[name_m]Azriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]
Dismas
[name_m]Joachim[/name_m]
Phanuel
[name_m]Adlai[/name_m]
[name_m]Andreas[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m]
[name_m]Cornelius[/name_m]
[name_m]Ephraim[/name_m]/[name_m]Ephram[/name_m]
Eiran/[name_f]Eran[/name_f]
[name_m]Eitan[/name_m]
[name_u]Elon[/name_u]
[name_m]Enoch[/name_m]
[name_m]Jabin[/name_m]
[name_m]Japheth[/name_m]
[name_m]Javan[/name_m]
[name_m]Jethro[/name_m]
Joram
[name_m]Josias[/name_m]
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
Shadrach

I don’t care for the flow of [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] but what about [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m]?

does your husband just veto or does he also actively contribute to the name search? he sounds a bit hard to please, so i hope he’s doing his part and not leaving it up to you to read his mind or something!

if it bothers you that there is already a [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolff[/name_m] out there, have you checked other names that MEAN wolf? in other languages? [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], [name_m]Wolfe[/name_m], [name_m]Wolff[/name_m] are the spellings i know of in English. i always liked the idea of Vuk as a fn - it means wolf in Serbocroatian. but i’m not sure how well it would work in English? (it is pronounced “vook”). then again, i don’t think your hubby would go for something so ethnic, right?

another thing to consider is how well-known [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolff[/name_m] is. i, for example, don’t know him. also, [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] is in a different category for me, because it’s two less common names combined. [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] and [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (in whichever spelling) are more common by themselves.

Edited for privacy.

Saw the latest update…[name_m]Ethan[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] is awesome!!

fey – That’s the problem, I’d never heard of the author…which is saying something, as I read A LOT of books. I agree that [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] works with a ton of names…the hard part is finding something my husband and I can agree on. [name_u]Dorian[/name_u], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m], [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m], and [name_m]Leander[/name_m] have all gotten the axe. I love the sound, look, and vibe of [name_u]Jericho[/name_u], but it doesn’t have the most positive connotation in the Bible, so I’m not sure I could use it. I like [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_m]Josiah[/name_m], and [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m] from your list. [name_m]Zachariah[/name_m] I like too, but I have a good friend [name_m]Zechariah[/name_m], so that might be weird, and there’s also the repeated Z thing with [name_u]Zion[/name_u]. Am I too picky? I feel like I’m becoming hopelessly picky. It’s depressing. I’m glad you suggested Bible names! I would [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] to find a Biblical name that works for the both of us, but so far [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] seems to be the only one. [name_m]Philemon[/name_m] would be the runner-up, but Husband thinks it’s a little too studious and I’m hesitant about it sounding too similar to [name_m]Solomon[/name_m].

casilda – [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t worry, we’ve been through so many names at this point that repeats and past vetoes are inevitable :slight_smile: I love [name_m]Azriel[/name_m], but Hubs vetoed it. [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m], [name_m]Ephraim[/name_m], and [name_m]Enoch[/name_m] are on my mulling-over list. Shadrach is kind of a fun idea…! I’m not sure I can see it on my own child, but it’s definitely worth considering. I definitely see what you’re saying about [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]/[name_m]Tobiah[/name_m], but I know Hubby prefers it with the S.

vc2013 – Husband has contributed a few names that he really loves, mostly for girls: [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Wren[/name_f], and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]. He’s just not a name nerd at all – I’m lucky he puts up with my constant list-building and combo-making. He is hard to please, but so am I, and we have such opposite taste in names that it’s a lot of work to meet in the middle :slight_smile: Thanks for the reassurance on [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], I’m glad that not everyone immediately thinks of the author. Vuk is cool, but it would never fly in this house. I like your idea though!

sarah – We are definitely in the same boat as far as struggling to overlap our tastes! [name_m]Ozias[/name_m], I’ve never thought of that one before! Wonderful meaning, and I do love the [name_m]Osias[/name_m] spelling…it makes me think of an oasis, probably because the anagram-ness. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Caradoc[/name_m] would not work unfortunately, as our last name begins with a K – waaay too many hard C/K sounds. [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] has a lovely meaning too…is [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] too over-the-top [name_m]Mozart[/name_m]? I’m also concerned that Hubby is going to look at it and see Asmodeus, an evil god in our D&D game. He does stuff like that sometimes…vetoed [name_f]Corisande[/name_f] because it sounded like courtesan. ??? Aragorn, [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], [name_m]Archer[/name_m], and [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] were all vetoed, sadly. Elrond is tempting, and [name_m]Quillan[/name_m] and [name_m]Eleazar[/name_m] are going into the pile. I was stoked for [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], but when I looked up [name_m]Ethan[/name_m], he is number 3 on the SSA list!! THREE! I was shocked. I can handle top 500, and [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] is even 168. My girls’ names are also pretty high on the list (some in the top 100), but three?? I don’t think I can do it. He’ll be the next [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]…

Thank you all for putting up with me, your suggestions and comments help a lot. I suppose the course of true name love never did run smooth!