Bad Shot Reaction, Milk Allergy, or Nothing?

So I was just so terrified, my lil one who was sleeping by me started throwing up in her sleep. She was gagging even after I turned her over, it was spouting out her nose, we were both covered - just monstrous. She rarely even spit up in the last 2 months & shes only 4 months old.

The only thing I can think triggered it was her 4 month shots she had 3 days ago, she ran a bit of a fever for a day but seemed better today. The other thing I could think of is a possible cows milk reaction (I exclusively breastfeed). That one might be just over worrying but when I think back to her spit up the last 2 times were after bagles with cream cheese. Tonight I had pasta & mixxed it with a overload abundance of cheese & drank alot of milk instead of water.

I know alot of you guys have strong opinions on most topics, Im curious on your input. . always second guessed the shots but evidence is so contradicting & society believed in then do much here in the states that I’d be worried if I didn’t do everything I could to keep her healthy (& line my mom says we all had them & shell need them for school anyways). Maybe I’m just over worrying & Iits just nothing but a little upset stomach on a healthy little baby?

YOU ate the dairy products and think its contaminating your milk? (Tonight I had pasta & mixxed it with a overload abundance of cheese & drank alot of milk instead of water.)

or are you starting the baby on solid food? (were after bagles with cream cheese)

if so you may just need to wait a lil longer if shes just at the 4 month mark

so far this is the only bad incident? you talk of her spitting up after bagels but not that it was like the ‘monstrous’ event.

if you go back on your ‘normal’ schedule of foods and it still continues then contact your doctor, otherwise it sounds like just one incident

also:

Signs of a serious allergic reaction can include difficulty breathing, hoarseness, wheezing, hives, paleness, dizziness, fainting, or a rapid heartbeat.

doesnt sound like a reaction

A person of any age can have a milk allergy, but it’s more common among infants (about 2% to 3% of babies), though most outgrow it.

Infants who are breastfed have a lower risk of developing a milk allergy than those who are formula fed. HOWEVER:

An infant can experience symptoms either very quickly after feeding (rapid onset) or not until 7 to 10 days after consuming the cow’s milk protein (slower onset). Symptoms may also occur with exclusive breastfeeding if the mother ingests cow’s milk.

A milk allergy is not the same thing as lactose intolerance

The slower-onset reaction is more common. Symptoms may include loose stools (possibly containing blood), vomiting, gagging, refusing food, irritability or colic, and skin rashes, like eczema.

doesnt sound like a serious condition if it is the case

She hasnt started food yet, I ate the milk products. & both times with cream cheese was probly a month ago & was like normal spit up (barely any) for a baby, I just remembered because she never really does it… Tonight on the other hand was exstream, like pouring out of her, I rolled her on her side then picked her up & pat her back it just kept coming out as she was gagging. I didn’t even think she held that much liquid in her.

Babies throw up. A lot. Unless it starts happening often, I’d say it’s probably just a normal thing. You can at least wait until it happens more than once before you panic and try to make any major adjustments? If she doesn’t have a fever and is otherwise acting normal, I’d say it was probably nothing. If she does have a fever or seems different or lethargic, then call a doctor. Also, if the vomiting becomes a pattern, talk to her doctor about it.

Probably normal newborn spit up. My daughter’s the same way, very rarely spits up, but the two times she did a lot I kind of freaked out.

If you don’t typically eat dairy, she could be sensitive.

Vomiting can be caused by a variety of things, it doesn’t necessarily mean that she’s had a bad reaction to anything in particular. That being said, you mentioned that your little one just had her 4 month immunisations. I’m not entirely familiar with the American schedule, as I’m in Australia, but do you know if she received the rotovirus immunisation? It’s given orally. That’s one that does commonly cause some vomiting and diarrhoea, even up to 7-10 days after receiving the vaccine. If it is the rotovirus immunisation that’s causing the vomiting, it’s nothing to be concerned about. It’s not an allergic reaction, it’s just the vaccine working to “trick” the immune system into creating the necessary antibodies so a real infection with the rotovirus doesn’t occur (which would be far, far worse!). The vomiting shouldn’t last very long, might just even be a one-off occurrence. At any rate, hope your little one is feeling better soon!

If it happens again, I would call the doctor. She could have a tummy bug. Otherwise, it’s probably nothing. Babies spit up. It could be from her shots, but it is also possible that she’s sensitive to dairy proteins in your breast milk. That’s not the same as being allergic to dairy. It’s not uncommon for babies to have trouble digesting dairy, but almost all of them grow out of it. If you keep noticing a pattern of spitting up after you’ve eaten dairy, you may want to cut it out of your diet until she’s a little older and her digestive system is more mature. It’s really not a big deal, and it doesn’t mean she’s lactose intolerant and won’t be able to drink regular milk when she’s older (lactose is the sugar in milk - there is actually more lactose in breast milk than cows milk - but babies are more likely to have a problem with a certain protein that’s in cows milk).

Oh no that is so scary! If intense projectile vomiting happens again like that I would talk to your doctor. It could be, like a previous poster said, a result of her vaccines. Maybe keep a little diary of what you are eating & when, and any unusual reactions she has & see if there looks to be any correlation. If the only times she seems to spit up at all are after you consume dairy, I would suggest simply laying off it as much as possible 'til you’re done breast feeding. Its not good for you anyway (check out The [name_f]China[/name_f] Study). Our daughter’s 14 months, and she eats solids now but we only very occasionally give her any meat or dairy. I do still breastfeed her once or twice a day and I have always just eaten whatever I feel like - she sometimes throws up a little or has weird poops if I eat a lot of a particular thing (for example tons of blueberries during blueberry season) or sometimes after certain ethnic foods.
Good luck! I hope she feels better soon.

I believe it was the the rotrovirsus omivam, & Thanks everyone. My head was filed with endless possibilities because it was so abnormal & unexpected. I could only imagine if she was close & choked or sething happend I would be heart broken. Im going to keep a close eye on her but she seems better again. Thanks again :slight_smile:

I discovered my daughter’s egg allergy while exclusively breastfeeding, she reacted to my diet. They ran a blood test, which they say can get false positives, but her only positive reaction was eggs. Her reaction was more skin-reaction based so consider if your child has eczema or cradle cap or hives or diaper rash.

She also had a vomiting spell once after a big meal on a hot day followed by a bouncy pram ride around town! It could be circumstances like that.

I think if you’re concerned about allergies you should see a pediatric allergist instead of experimenting on your own too much. It’s awesome that you can figure this out before she becomes exposed to the allergen. So many allergens are foods that I never considered suspicious. It could be something beyond dairy or nuts, ect. The blood test is so helpful.

I agree with this, 100%.

It’s probably just a reaction to the shots or normal baby spit up. My son has thrown up after every round of shots (usually a couple days following the injection). The first couple of times I freaked out and took him to the doctor thinking something had to be wrong, but I was told each time it was probably a reaction. [name_m]Just[/name_m] keep an eye on her, but it doesn’t sound like a milk allergy in my non doctor opinion :slight_smile: