Baofire or Baelfire

See the results of this poll: pro. Bay-oh-fire or Baelfire

Respondents: 10 (This poll is closed)

• Baofire, Baiofire, or Baeofire : 2 (20%)
  • Baelfire: 8 (80%)

I think it’s uncommon enough that not many people would be familiar with Baelfire and realise Baofire etc isn’t quite right, but it’s a case of how much it would bug you to use it. You can still use nn [name_u]Bay[/name_u] with Baelfire, but I think I prefer Baofire because Baelfire to me sounds just like [name_m]Bale[/name_m] [name_m]Fire[/name_m], like burning bales of hay, and I can’t shake that image out of my head.

Well a Baelfire has Celtic [name_m]Pagan[/name_m] connotation as in a bonfire used to celebrate Beltane, one of our holidays. So I think it makes a weird name in general. I do know it’s the name of a guy on Once Upon a Time though, so I guess it has just a tad bit of usage.

I don’t think you should use a nickname like [name_f]Bao[/name_f] for Baelfire or pronounce Baelfire as bay-oh-fire. Once Upon A Time is a popular show so it is getting some usage and aside from that, since it is an actual word, I’m of the opinion it should be pronounced properly.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] a fun fact here, I’m using baelfire to mean the magical aura surrounding people in my novel. My editor and some other people on here referred to the word as sounding “wicked”. So you might not like that.

It’s a character’s name on the show Once Upon a Time, which i believe is fairly popular, so be aware most people will associate it with that

[name_m]Bainbridge[/name_m] and Baelfire are too matchy for siblings and style-wise, they are poles apart. [name_m]Bainbridge[/name_m] would be kind of bland with a brother named Baelfire. I didn’t vote for any option on your poll because the choices are a little over-the-top for my comfort level.

I agree.

I’ve never heard of the show referred to upthread and I’d never heard of the name before. All I see is bale of fire and in Baofire, all I see is fire. :-/