Basil or Bartholomew

See the results of this poll: Which do you like better?

Respondents: 35 (This poll is closed)

• Basil : 20 (57%)
  • Bartholomew: 15 (43%)

[name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] has always been on and off my list somewhere. It’s a super familiar name while also not being very popular, so I think it is a great choice.

[name_m]Basil[/name_m]! It’s a nature name and saint’s name with loads of history that’s seriously neglected at the moment. Totally wearable too.

Yes, I’m biased, but what’s not to love about [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]? An apostles name, a pirate name, a saints name, a superhero name ([name_m]Flash[/name_m]) and a name in common use for a thousand years (as evidenced by the many common surnames that derive from it) and some seriously adorable nickname options: [name_m]Bart[/name_m], Bate, Tolly, etc… We sometime use [name_m]Bart[/name_m] as a nickname for our son (just in the family - to most he’s [name_m]Pete[/name_m] or [name_m]Peter[/name_m]) and it’s a seriously adorable name on a toddler.

I love, love, love [name_m]Basil[/name_m]. I think its such a beautiful name, earthy but elegant at the same time. A lot of history behind it, St. [name_m]Basil[/name_m] Cathedral in Moscow is beautiful, not too popular. And I much prefer the nn [name_m]Baz[/name_m] to [name_m]Bart[/name_m] but that’s just me.

I really love both of these names, but for totally different reasons. For myself, I would lean toward [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m], but looking at the other names on your list, I would voted for [name_m]Basil[/name_m].

Definitely [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]. I think it’s quite sweet and would age well. I really like the idea of Tolly as a nn too. I can only really imagine [name_m]Basil[/name_m] on an adult, and it would probably annoy me if [name_m]Basil[/name_m] got pronounced as [name_u]Bay[/name_u]-zil.

[name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]! It was on my middle name list at one point, although I’ve since cooled towards it slightly. I like that it’s dramatic but grounded, full of history, and a totally unique “shape”, if that makes sense? [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Bar[/name_u], [name_m]Bear[/name_m], Tolly and Mew for short too.