Basil

I went to school with a [name]Basil[/name] for a while ([name]Baz[/name]-il, not Bays-il), but I rarely see it used.

What do you think?

Dislike. :frowning:

I know it’s supposed to be literary genius and all, but The Picture of [name]Dorian[/name] [name]Gray[/name] creaped me out when I read it in high school. And I can’t stop thinking of the [name]Basil[/name] in that story, and I think a lot of people would say it more like the seasoning rather than BAH-zuhl/[name]BAZ[/name]-il. I do like the idea of it but the association to Wilde’s story and the likely mispronunciations make it unusable to me.

[name]LOVE[/name] it! But my husband totally vetoed it. I’m in Australia, where I’ve only heard it pronounced [name]Baz[/name]-il. Not a fan of the other pronounciation. I’ve never met anyone named [name]Basil[/name] though, and I would love to see it on a little boy.

[name]Basil[/name] Brush… :slight_smile:

[name]Basil[/name] Faulty … :slight_smile:

From me, that’s a no.

emiliaj

I am a fan of this name, actually, but prefer it pronounced ‘Bays-il’, like the spice. Nevertheless, I’d love to see it on a little boy. So adorable.

I can’t imagine it especially on a teenager/adult… it sounds like 100% like a posh old British man (a la [name]Basil[/name] Rathbone). Also it just reminds of the spice, and I think most people would pronounce it Bays-il.

[name]IMO[/name], [name]Basil[/name] Fawlty is kind of a so-hilarious-it’s-cool association. [name]Basil[/name] Brush still shows up on the telly sometimes but I have never watched The [name]Basil[/name] Brush Show.

I say [name]BAZ[/name]-il for the spice and the name, I don’t know where anyone gets [name]Bay[/name]-sill from. [name]Baz[/name] is an awesome nickname, as in [name]Baz[/name] Luhrmann, even though his name wasn’t [name]Basil[/name]. I think [name]Basil[/name] has the kind of sound that matches current trends right now.

I love the name, pronounced either way. To an American ear, I think [name]Bay[/name]-zil sounds more natural and the [name]Baz[/name]-il pronunciation sounds a bit affected, and presumably it’s the other way around to a [name]Brit[/name] or an Aussie.

I have a kindergarten-aged nephew named [name]Basil[/name], pronounced [name]Bay[/name]-zil, so I’m biased towards that sound. It’s an adorable name, and fits him so perfectly. He’s kind of elfin, but definitely all boy, woodsy and rough-and-tumble and sweet.

If it weren’t for my nephew, I would have strongly considered that name for my own son.

I really don’t like it, if I’m honest. It just doesn’t seem wearable to me. I’d maybe use it on a pet, but that’s about it.

I like it! [name]Baz[/name] would make a cool nn.