Battle of the greats!

See the results of this poll: Please Read

Respondents: 98 (This poll is closed)

• Guinevere : 38 (39%)
  • Geneviève: 60 (61%)

I like [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] but prefer Geneviève. It’s the name of [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] Deneuve’s character in the Umbrellas of Cherbourg, one of my favourite films.

(I LOLed at your PS!)

I chose [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], I feel it suits a female of all ages. I find [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (on tablet can’t make the accent) to fussy for me.

I love both, but went with [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]

There is no contest. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is far more beautiful and sophisticated. [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] feels cartoonish/fairytale.

[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] is my pick. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is a bit too frilly for my taste.

It came as a surprise to me but I found myself voting [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f].

I don’t quite know what it is, but out loud, there’s something that doesn’t feel quite right about [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. It almost sounds like a place or word, especially with the [name_f]Gen[/name_f]-vee-ev pronunciation (maybe because it’s similar to janvier in [name_m]French[/name_m]?), and I just can’t warm to it. But anyway, I love [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], mostly because of the character in [name_m]Merlin[/name_m] (the BBC show); she gave it a lot of strength and personality. I like the Arthurian connection and imagery that gives, despite the iffy connotations, but then again, I also love [name_f]Morgana[/name_f], so perhaps I like some drama haha.

As you use the accent I assume it’s pronounced zhan-vee-ev. (i suck at writing pronunciation, but yeah, the ftench way)

For the name itself I favour [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], but I like the back story of Geneviève more. So I’m torn. I guess today I’ll pick Geneviève, but tomorrow I might change my mind again.

[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] is a longtime favorite, and I absolutely love it. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] just sounds so snobbish to me.

Geneviève for me! I prefer it in English, but either way, I prefer it to [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], which has always been over-the-top sugary and ethereal for me. I adore [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], though.

Theres no contest for me. Geneviève by far! I find it gorgeous, romantic but not frilly, with beautiful nicknames, full of elegance and class. I have never liked the name [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], because the character was one of my least faves ever, and i cant shake that association off my mind.

Thanks for all the feedback! I didn’t expect such varied opinions on Geneviève. From “snobbish,” “frilly,” and “fussy” to “sophisticated,” “romantic,” and “beautiful,” I’m left rather torn.

@lumen - I love The Umbrellas of Cherbourg too! Definitely a plus for Geneviève.

@myosotis - Geneviève does lack something which I can’t quite pinpoint. Not “quite right” is a good descriptor. And on a side note, I completely sympathize with liking dramatic names!

@luneth - You share my thoughts on the matter exactly! I prefer [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] stylistically, but Geneviève meaning-wise.

@bellerose - Yes, I’m not sure whether I’m willing to embrace the tragedy of [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]. I love your wonderful description of Geneviève – it brings to mind everything I adore about it.

At this point Berries, I prefer [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] as a first name and Geneviève as a middle. Feelings?

I voted for the beautiful [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] is a little bit out there for my taste.

As a kid, I really liked Genevieve/Geneviève because of the dog in the Madeline movie, but I fell very much out of love with it after a while. The English pronunciation strikes me as cutesy and affected (and I suspect a lot of people who voted in the poll thought you meant that pronunciation), while the French version just isn’t an appealing sound, IMO.

Guinevere, on the other hand. Hoo boy. Growing up, I used to desperately, passionately wish my name was Guinevere rather than Gwendolyn, mostly because I owned a beautifully illustrated book about her and she kind of looks like me in it. Ack, the hero worship was intense.

Now I’ve come to rather like my own full name and I have a much more morally gray view of the legendary queen, but I still 100% adore her name. I think it has easily three times the gravitas and wow factor of Genevieve (or twice the gravitas and wow factor of Geneviève), which have started to bore me. Not that I particularly dislike Genevieve/Geneviève or anything, they’re both perfectly fine names.

But take it from a Gwen: Guinevere is better. :wink:

Well I have [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] Geneviève [name_f]Fleur[/name_f] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Ines[/name_f] [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] on my long list now. I end up using both in the middle spot because 1) unless I actually move to a french-speaking country, no one will pronounce it the french way and 2) I used to have [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] as a first name, but after a long time, I am still not sure I can fully embrace the tragic end of the queen. Like I said earlier, I am torn. Today I think I pick [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], but I am still not sure if I really want it as a first name.

Wow, that really helps! You’ve made [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] feel more reasonable (and lovely). I especially value your input since you are a [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]. Thank-you!

Exactly. This impossible quandary! The pronunciation issues that would undoubtedly arise with Geneviève put [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] a couple steps ahead for me right now, but we’ll see how long that lasts. By the way, your combos are stunning!

Your ps is so funny ”

I personally love [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]. Its beautiful and I think that the character is very maligned and in need of some love! [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is also gorgeous but I love [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] just a bit more.