Battle of the Os: Caro vs. Hero [POLL]

Which do you prefer for a girl: Caro or Hero?

I’d also love to hear any comments you have about these two names (bad as well as good!)

• Caro
  • Hero

0 voters

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I like both, they have a similar feel in terms of ‘style’ to me anyway. They’re short and sparky and seem like they could easily fit both genders. [name_u]Caro[/name_u] feels like it could be a nickname for [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] on a girl and slightly reminds me of [name_u]Cairo[/name_u] (i think it could be mispronounced as this). [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is very cool, maybe too cool as a first name for me personally. It would be a hard name to live up to.

2 Likes

I really like [name_u]Caro[/name_u]! Its strong but doesn’t sound too harsh, it’s perfectly balanced!
It also sounds electric, full of energy and spark.

Hero just reminds me of the children’s movie, it doesn’t seem like much of a ‘name’ to me, but it does have a very nice sound.

3 Likes

I absolutely adore [name_u]Hero[/name_u] but this is the big concern for me. Would a shy and retiring girl like to be called [name_u]Hero[/name_u]? Personally, I’m pretty quiet and I would love it, but it’s definitely the sort of name that would attract comments so that’s the one thing that gives me pause… [name_u]Caro[/name_u] certainly feels safer. [name_m]Just[/name_m] as funky and quirky, but in a much quieter way.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this description! Thank you :pray:

I voted [name_u]Hero[/name_u], although it’s a bit over the top for me. I do like the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] connection!
I prefer the sound of [name_u]Caro[/name_u], but it’s used to mean “expensive” in Spanish and I’m unsure how to feel about it.

3 Likes

I’m a [name_u]Caro[/name_u] (short for [name_f]Carolina[/name_f]). It’s alright, not my favourite name ever but it’s not bad (I do love [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] though)

Also it does mean expensive in Spanish as PP mentioned but I live in a Spanish speaking country and it hasn’t been much trouble tbh. It’s a very common nickname.

4 Likes

Thank you both! Nice to hear from a real-life [name_u]Caro[/name_u] too @sweetcaroline!

The “expensive” thing is something that hadn’t occurred to me, but I suppose it’s a little odd as an association, rather than overtly negative. I’m glad it hasn’t been too much of an issue for you.

3 Likes

Actual image of my brain right now :joy:

4 Likes

I just really can’t with [name_u]Hero[/name_u]. Not sure why, but it’s one of the few word names I just don’t understand as a name. I feel that it is inextricable from the word, and that the word is a huge burden and expectation? I guess the basic idea is that if a name like [name_f]Princess[/name_f] sometimes has a “trashy” reputation, why on earth is [name_u]Hero[/name_u] any different?? I really wish I could like [name_u]Hero[/name_u], but I’ve tried and can’t :grimacing:

I do like [name_u]Caro[/name_u] a lot!

3 Likes

I’ve got to say [name_u]Hero[/name_u] wins out for me - the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] connections are lovely, and I love how it just over all sounds like a cool name?

Fun fact: I’ve yet to find it anywhere else, but I have a plaque that was given to me when I was born that says my name is Scandinavian and means hero? Never in my life seen that on the internet, but my mum says that’s why she chose my name - she thought “hero” was a super cool meaning for a rainbow baby.

So, I gotta say, I’m biased, because now I wish my name meant hero :joy:

2 Likes

@katinka You’re very much welcome! That being said though, no one has ever mentioned my name being the same as the word ‘expensive’. Not once.

I’ll very rarely hear the word ‘caro’ in a conversation and think they’re talking about me. It only happens when I’m distracted or listening to someone else’s conversation and I’m like ‘oh they said my name’ but it’s not an everyday thing

2 Likes

On [name_u]Caro[/name_u]: [name_f]Glad[/name_f] @sweetcaroline chimed in! I figured it was worth a mention, even though I also wouldn’t consider it a real ‘problem’.

I forgot to add that I know a real-life [name_u]Hero[/name_u] who wears it surprisingly well. She’s on the quieter side, which really emphasizes the literary element of the name rather than the literal meaning. (Not that heroes can’t be quiet/unassuming, but I think the general assumption is they are quite bold.) She’s the oldest of a large family and her parents ended up going a very different direction with her younger siblings, but it still really fits her.

2 Likes

I love the wonderful [name_u]Hero[/name_u]. There’s so much packed into the short and punchy name

1 Like

Neither.

Both are boys names.
Actually, they’re more names I’d name my dog vs a person.

Caro is male form of dear/darling/expensive. [name_f]Cara[/name_f] is the feminine form.

Hero sounds like a great name for a dog. A female hero is a Heroine.

1 Like

I like [name_u]Caro[/name_u]. I used to be shy and would have felt uncomfortable using [name_u]Hero[/name_u]. I wonder if [name_m]Hiro[/name_m] would get you the same sound without the uncomfortable attention of [name_u]Hero[/name_u]?

Hiro (given name) - Wikipedia)%2C%20Japanese%20painter%2Fartist

I think [name_u]Caro[/name_u] has a slightly more feminine appeal to it.

1 Like

I like both. [name_u]Caro[/name_u] would be a cute nn for [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], or it works well on its own. And [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is just so cool and unexpected! The [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] connection is what did it for me, though, so [name_u]Hero[/name_u] got my vote. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me, it’s that [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is a Greek name that just happens to sound like a word, plus it’s Shakespearean, mythological, etc. BUT you’re absolutely right that not many people are going to know the whole history behind the name — to most, it will probably just sound like a word name.

4 Likes

That’s lovely to hear! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

My personal associations with these names are that [name_u]Caro[/name_u] sounds beautiful and strong, [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is strong and daring. [name_u]Love[/name_u] them both. Voted for [name_u]Caro[/name_u] by a whisker.

1 Like