Beatrix The Next Ava?

Hello!

I am expecting a little girl in [name]November[/name], and am (was?) planning to name her [name]Beatrix[/name]. However, I am quite freaked out that it is the No. 1 favorite name on this site (according to the blog post of the other day).

More specifically, I am wondering if [name]Beatrix[/name] could be the next [name]Ava[/name]? I noticed that while [name]Beatrix[/name] has never been in the Top 1000, [name]Beatrice[/name] jumped at least 170 places since 2005 – it was not in Top 1000 in 2005, but was No. 833 in 2008. This is a quicker jump than [name]Ava[/name]'s meteoric rise from not being in the Top 1000 through the mid-eighties, and then hitting No. 833 in 1992!

Granted, [name]Beatrice[/name] is not the exact same name as [name]Beatrix[/name], but these facts have me worried…and while I think that parents should pick a name they love, and not worry TOO much about the popularity trends, falling in the middle of an extreme trend like [name]Ava[/name] is really not my cup of tea.

Thoughts? There are a lot of folks on this site who know way more about naming trends etc. than I do, and I would really appreciate your help with this issue…Many thanks in advance!

My blood just ran cold…=) i’m such a name nerd. ill go actually read the post now!

I wouldn’t worry too much. [name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name] are names that are very ‘name nerd’/‘name obsessive’ (whatever title you want to give us LOL) popular at the moment – so it appears everywhere on name boards, but actually not so much in RL. (We’re ahead of the times you see ;p )

It may become the next [name]Ava[/name], but we’re looking at a good 20 years from now, imo. Think about how long it took [name]Ava[/name] to get from 833 in 1992 to the top 5 in what? 2005? That’s over ten years. It’s climb was fairly consistent until 2000 when it’s rise increased at a fast pace into the top 100.

[name]Beatrice[/name], I think will definitely go up in popularity (it fits perfectly with the cool moldy-oldy revamp names that are ‘in’ now) but I think it will increase gradually. If anything, [name]Beatrice[/name] has been at an all time low between 1995-2006. The decline happened fairly gradually, and now the pendulum is slowly picking up the other way. People will eventually start to look to [name]Beatrix[/name] as an alternative to [name]Beatrice[/name] – but [name]Beatrice[/name] needs to become popular for that to happen, and it’s a long way off being ‘popular’ yet.

That’s the way it looks to me for the moment. Of course, a celebrity baby or new popular TV character can always push a name up faster than expected, but this will only go so far. People need to be ‘ready’ for a name in order to take it from TV/celebrities.
Consider how [name]Emma[/name] became huge due to ‘Friends’ but mostly because it was a similar alternative to the popular [name]Emily[/name]. [name]Maddox[/name] looked cool because it was like [name]Max[/name] and fit the popular surname trend.
However, [name]Mabel[/name] in “Mad About You” did not take off, because people weren’t ready for it. The moldy-oldy revamp hadn’t really started at that point and it still hasn’t swung far enough to [name]Mabel[/name] yet.
[name]Violet[/name] was already in the top 400 when [name]Ben[/name] and [name]Jen[/name] Affleck chose it – so it was already ‘around’ even though it increased after they used it. Their second choice, [name]Seraphina[/name] has never breached the top 1000. Although it has a lot of potential (given it’s antique but exotic feel), it needs time to take off. It won’t make a huge leap yet just because they used it.

If a celeb uses [name]Beatrix[/name] in the next few years, I can’t see it making huge waves amongst the masses, as I don’t think it’s ready to be uber-popular. Maybe in another 10 year perhaps.

elea –

Thank you SO much for your thoughtful response. I think you have talked me off of the baby-naming ledge!

rlp312

i completely agree with the previous poster. if a celeb uses the name, its all over at that point (if you want a unique name that is!). that same thing happened with us when we named our DS beckett. 3 celebs named their son’s beckett within the same year as us and it shot up the charts from not even in the top 1,000 in 2006 to now in #667ish spot in 2008. that’s a crazy jump and i blame it all on the pop culture followers =) too bad we liked it for the literary/irish/ connection!

I honestly can’t see [name]Beatrix[/name] becoming the next [name]Ava[/name], either. Like others have said, Nameberry is unique in its posters’ preference for classic/vintage names, which is why I love it here! :slight_smile:
([name]Beatrix[/name] is one of my all-time favorites, and if were pregnant right now, I’d use it in a heartbeat!)

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

Rosyposey and [name]Jill[/name] – [name]Just[/name] wanted to thank you as well for taking the time to weigh in. Overall, I feel much better than before I asked the question!

Rosyposey and [name]Jill[/name] – [name]Just[/name] wanted to thank you as well for taking the time to weigh in. Overall, I feel much better than before I asked the question!