Bellamy is getting hate irl?!

Okay so I just saw a name suggestions video on tiktok, and [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] (among a few other NB favorites) were getting immense amounts of hate. I feel a bit heartbroken over it tbh :sob:. People saying “I feel so sorry for any child that’s named that” “I’d rather die than be called that” etc. There were thousands of comments and I couldn’t find one nice one for the name. I usually don’t care much about what people think, but the amount of negativity is…overwhelming. I need some [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] reassurance :pleading_face::joy: Has anyone experienced this with one of your favorite names??

1 Like

I love [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]. It is so handsome. It feels nice to say and is pretty and masculine at the same time. I first heard it on one of the main characters on the show the 100 and have loved it since.

3 Likes

I think remembering the general age and attitude of TikTok might be important here. It’s not generally known as an …uplifting… space. [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] is an absolutely fantastic name and I’ve seen positive feedback on it outside of NB.

15 Likes

Bellamy is awesome and one of the few names I like pretty much equally for either gender. I love the jaunty rhythm, and the meaning is one of the best around. It feels warm and fun, but smart too.

I agree with @futuremama on TikTok (and social media in general) – people will almost always get more likes/shares/reactions from posting negative things, unfortunately, but that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with the name. It’s just the nature of the beast.

6 Likes

I love love love [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]!! I like it for a boy mostly but it’s also so pretty on a girl.
I also see a lot of baby name TikTok videos and have seen similar negativity for names that I love and are generally very well received on NB.

However, I think it works both ways as on TikTok I see a lot of love for ‘trendy’ names like [name_f]Brynleigh[/name_f], [name_f]Paislee[/name_f] etc that on NB don’t seem to get much love at all.

At the end of the day, they’ll be negative comments for any name you choose even something really safe and classic like [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] will likely get comments of being too boring. So you might as well chose a name that YOU love!!

3 Likes

Honestly, I couldn’t care less about what some random TikTokers say. I agree with futuremama about it.
I see this on Pinterest comments. People are like “[name_u]Winter[/name_u]??? Save it for your cow!” because they’re just people who don’t care about names and the names they see as “acceptable names” are common ones.
There’s nothing wrong with [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] and it’s rising on popularity charts, so it’s not like everyone hates it.

7 Likes

I think [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] is nice. I don’t see why it would be so bad. I don’t use TikTok but many of my favourite names have terrible comments on Behind the Name. :rofl: It’s best to just ignore the negativity because some people love being rude on purpose and you’re never going to find a name that will please everyone.

2 Likes

My favorite name, [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f], gets hate on here and irl. I follow someone on IG who named her daughter Drascilla and people talk about how much they hate the name all the time. But I actually relate to that mom a lot, in that I don’t really care what people think :rofl:

Bellamy is a great name. I first heard it on The 100 and found it very charming.

2 Likes

Now Iam very curious to know what the other names were :joy:

Btw [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] is absolutely awesome.

[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] is a wonderful name, and the people that are hating on it probably aren’t used to it and don’t understand its history. It’s easy for us Berries to be accepting of almost every name we come across, even if we are unfamiliar with it, but that is sadly not so easy for others. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom thinks that the middle names I use are ridiculous and silly, and sometimes I feel a bit hurt by that, but ultimately I know she just isn’t used to them and doesn’t understand the significance they have to me. Please don’t let these negative comments get to you! I’m sure if one day you have a little [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] of your own, they will know that you chose their name for a reason!

1 Like

Consider the source. :slight_smile:

I love [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]. It is a lilting, lyrical, poetic surname/name.

Plus there’s no name on earth everybody likes. Let the tiktokkers hate it; they take nothing away from a lovely name.

Bellamy is a great name. What I’ve seen from social media is anything that is viewed as ‘out of the norm’ is reacted to negatively. So if you’re not into the top 50 you’re going to get a LOT of hate, and if you are into the top 50 you’re probably still going to get hate cause that’s just social media…

1 Like

I love this name too and wondered how people I know would react to it since it gets a lot of love on NB, my husband loved [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] & my family liked it too. Either way I would use a name I loved despite peoples’ negative opinions on it

1 Like

I absolutely love [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]. If I had another son, that would be a high and serious contender! I think it’s equal parts handsome, dashing, adventurous, kind, and fun-loving.

Bellamy is a wonderful name. However, I feel sometimes the TikTok community can be a little toxic and hateful towards certain things. I think you shouldn’t dislike someone because of their given name and not be so negative towards a name because it might actually hurt someone who has that name.

Yeah, I’ve experienced it!

I also really dislike [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] & have a terrible association, so I can’t give you reassurance, but I have nothing against it. :slight_smile: I like [name_f]Bella[/name_f] for something similar.