Ben, but not a short form

The name [name_m]Ben[/name_m] is growing on me, but not necessarily the long forms that would lead to a [name_m]Ben[/name_m] shortened form (like [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] or [name_m]Bennett[/name_m]).

Is it weird to name a boy [name_m]Ben[/name_m] on its own?

I don’t think it’s weird per se. I certainly think that as far as short-versions-as-given-names go, [name_m]Ben[/name_m] is one of the most “workable” ones (as opposed to names like [name_m]Mike[/name_m], [name_m]Joe[/name_m], [name_m]Tim[/name_m], etc.).

I do think that a benefit of attaching it to a longer form ([name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]) would be that it would give your son some options as he grows older.

I think it is fine, although I do like [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], and [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], etc

I go back and forth on precisely this! I really like [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. But I think in the end, I’m too much of a traditionalist, and would probably choose [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], which means blessed, [name_m]Ruben[/name_m], which means, Look! A son, and [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], which is a famous biblical character but perhaps is a bit overused.

Nothing wrong with it! [name_m]Ben[/name_m] is a gorgeous name by itself though I do love pretty much every form of it ([name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], [name_m]Benaiah[/name_m], [name_m]Benson[/name_m], etc)

Like other users have said, I think it’s usable. On the other hand I would advice against using just [name_m]Ben[/name_m], to give him the option to go by something else if he ends up disliking [name_m]Ben[/name_m] when he grows up.

I don’t think it’s a problem, here in Germany it’s pretty common to just use [name_m]Ben[/name_m].

Not weird at all. I knew [name_m]Ben[/name_m] (full name), and he never encountered any problems.

It’s not weird. [name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of people have short forms of names as their full name.
That said, I think naming is always a matter of deciding what compromises you can most easily live with. In this case, I think it’s worth asking yourself:
a) Can I deal with people assuming his name is ‘[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]’ or asking what it’s short for?
b) If [name_m]Ben[/name_m] asks about his name, do I feel comfortable that I can explain my decision?
c) If [name_m]Ben[/name_m] decides to let people call him [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] (either because it’s too much bother to correct them, he wants to fit in, or because his friends use it as an affectionate/inclusive nickname), will I be heartbroken?

If you answered yes to (a) or © or no to (b), it’s worth considering another name or trying to find a long version of [name_m]Ben[/name_m] you don’t mind.
[name_m]Ben[/name_m] has quite a lot of long forms, and I suspect other Berries will be able to help you out if you decide to go in that direction. There are on-trend choices ([name_u]Corben[/name_u]), surnames ([name_u]Brennan[/name_u], [name_m]Benton[/name_m], [name_m]Bowen[/name_m], [name_u]Bevan[/name_u]), Clunky classics ([name_m]Ebenezer[/name_m]), quirky/literary picks ([name_m]Benvolio[/name_m]), religious/celebrity namesakes ([name_m]Benedict[/name_m], [name_m]Bonaventure[/name_m]), non-English names that feel ready to wear ([name_m]Benno[/name_m], Torben), place names ([name_m]Bergen[/name_m]) and unexpected long forms ([name_m]Breccan[/name_m], [name_m]Brendan[/name_m]).
Good luck