Benedict as a baby name?

What does everyone thing about the name [name]Benedict[/name]? I think it’s a gorgeous name with a lot of great history behind it. It has good associations and it sounds really nice to me.

However, will everyone immediately go to the Catholic roots and history of the name? I don’t want that to be a recurring factor behind the name the entire time.

What do you think? Also, do you like [name]Benedict[/name] [name]James[/name] as a first and middle combo?

I really like the sound of the name [name]Benedict[/name] and the Shakespearean connections (though he used the alternative form [name]Benedick[/name]) but I immediately think [name]Benedict[/name] [name]Arnold[/name]. I think [name]Benedict[/name] [name]James[/name] sound fine, but for the negative things I think of, I would prefer [name]James[/name] [name]Benedict[/name], which I think has better flow anyway.

As a matter of fact, this is what I wrote about Benedict in my blog ““Blessed” Despite the fact that all I hear is Benedict Arnold, this name has a rich history. Benedict is the name of the saint who formed the Benedictine Order and of fifteen popes. Shakespeare used the variant Benedick for a character in Much Ado About Nothing. It still gives you Ben, Benny, or Benji so that’s great!”

So I say go for it. :slight_smile:

I like [name]Benedict[/name] a lot! I love that it means “blessed” and I think it has more personality than the more common [name]Bennett[/name]. I have met a few Benedicts and they don’t seem worse for wear. :slight_smile:

My hugest concern is its association to [name]Benedict[/name] [name]Arnold[/name], which is what holds most Americans back, I think. I don’t really know anything about a Catholic [name]Benedict[/name], but I’m like, the opposite of a Catholic, haha, so I don’t know a lot about that culture. I do love the name, though! [name]Benedict[/name] [name]James[/name] is very handsome.

I love it! I am Catholic too so I do think of the Pope but I think that is only something you will find with other Catholics. Seeing that no one else has mentioned it before no I don’t think you have anything to worry about. I think everyone will think you chose a name you loved that just happened to honor someone in your religion. I have lots of saints names on my list but I would use [name]Dominic[/name] with or without the saint connection simply because I love it.

I really like the name [name]Benedict[/name]. It’s a great alternative to the megapopular [name]Benjamin[/name] and has a great nn of [name]Bennett[/name] (a medieval form of [name]Benedict[/name]). It’s sophisticated, gentlemanly, literary and saintly. It also sounds kind of exotic to me because it is rarely chosen for a first name. I think enough time has passed since [name]Benedict[/name] [name]Arnold[/name] for the name to be dusted off so it can shine again!

I really like [name]Benedict[/name], and much prefer it to [name]Benjamin[/name] particularly as a first name. [name]Benedict[/name] [name]James[/name] is really handsome, a lovely, strong boys name.

I immediately go to [name]Benedict[/name] [name]Arnold[/name] too, even though I actually know a [name]Benedict[/name] ([name]Ben[/name]) in real life. The pope was my third thought after those two. I think it’s a handsome name for all that though. Then again, I’m also a huge fan of [name]Bonaventure[/name], another saintly name, which some people will probably find REALLY out there.

I immediately think of [name]Shakespeare[/name]- so I think [name]Benedict[/name] is fine. It’s a lovely name, much better than [name]Benjamin[/name] but with lots of nn possibilities. I’d probably just want to use the full name anyway, but still- it is definitely useable.

So funny you would bring up [name]Benedict[/name]! I was just talking to my husband about Bénédicte but we agreed that it would confuse everyone if used by a girl plus people would think of [name]Benedict[/name] [name]Arnold[/name] :frowning:

I would definitely think of the Catholic church since Im Catholic.

[name]Benedict[/name] is my maiden name, and kids did give me the “[name]Benedict[/name] [name]Arnold[/name]” reference (funny as a little girl). [name]One[/name] kid was particularly creative and would call me “Bendable D$&@” (also odd for a little girl). I never got references to the Catholic church/popes, but, admittedly, the pope at the time wasn’t named [name]Benedict[/name].

I don’t share these stories to deter you, i just wasnted to give you a little bit of real life perspective. I think the name is fantastic, and a much better alternative to [name]Benjamin[/name]. It’s regal, has a ton of history (good and bad), is strong, masculine, and not trendy or weird. I say go for it!

Forgive my ignorance, but who is the [name]Benedict[/name] [name]Arnold[/name] character I keep hearing about?

I think [name]Benedict[/name] [name]James[/name] is a lovely name. It’s a nice alternative way to get [name]Ben[/name] as a nickname. I did think of the Pope a bit, but also I’m pretty sure “bene” is used for words that are good or well meaning, eg: benefit or benediction. Nothing not to love about that.

Sixteen popes :wink:

Oddcreature - [name]Benedict[/name] [name]Arnold[/name] was an American general during the Revolutionary War who defected to the British. The full story can be easily read in any American history textbook (or Wikipedia, for that matter) but the long and short of it is that because of his plotting his name basically became synonymous with “treason” in the United States.

Great! I’m definitely keeping it on the list for now then!

I think the initials [name]Benedict[/name] [name]James[/name] has are best avoided. I also find [name]James[/name] boring as a middle name, it gets used there a lot, it’s like the [name]Grace[/name]/[name]Rose[/name] of boys names. But even if it were a J name I loved, and there are many I do love, I would not use B.J. as initials.

I love [name]Ben[/name] as a nickname, but [name]Benedict[/name] would rank below [name]Benjamin[/name] or Benzion for me. But I’ve always loved those two, and [name]Benedict[/name] is rather culturally intertwined with Catholicism for me, and I’m not Catholic. For me, it would feel weird and it would be seen as weird, but I think it could be a nice enough name in another family, and it has a lot of history to it.

I was going to say that I don’t think [name]Benedict[/name] is too associated with Catholicism, and that most people probably wouldn’t have made much of the connection if the current pope wasn’t [name]Benedict[/name] (and he won’t be around forever). But then I read this:

So now I’m thinking, I am Catholic so maybe I think it’s a “normal” name (as in, not particularly associated with Catholicism) because I have always known Benedicts and thought nothing further about it. They have all been Catholics, now I think about it. So maybe it is very associated with Catholicism.

I’m not sure if that makes sense. In conclusion, I don’t know anymore! It is my favourite of the [name]Ben[/name]-names though :slight_smile:

Also, stripedsocks, I’ve never heard of Benzion before. That’s an interesting one!

I personally like the name [name]Benedict[/name]. What comes to mind for me is the fantastic actor [name]Benedict[/name] Cumberbatch who has become quite well known over the last couple years. I agree with the pp who said that [name]Benedict[/name] [name]Arnold[/name] isn’t going to be a common association for most children growing up, and I never would have known about the Catholic connection.

It would be on my list except for the fact my husband doesn’t care for it all all.

Benzion is sort of unusual, yeah, but its a family name for me. It’s Hebrew, but it never quite caught on like [name]Benjamin[/name] did. In fact, when my ancestors emigrated to the USA, most of the Benzions used “[name]Benjamin[/name]” as their English name because it sounded “more American.”

I don’t DISLIKE [name]Benedict[/name], I just wouldn’t use it myself. For my husband and I, it would be like if we suddenly set ourselves up with a random Japanese name. But that doesn’t mean Japanese names aren’t, in themselves, lovely. I would just feel, for myself, a bit odd and like it was something to explain.

I did like [name]Benedick[/name] in Much [name]Ado[/name] About Nothing, though.

OK, I will be the odd one out. I do not like it at all. Maybe I am weird but I hear a word within the name which sounds teasable to me. MUCH prefer [name]Bennett[/name].

I adore the name [name]Benedict[/name]. My mind used to fly to [name]Benedict[/name] [name]Arnold[/name], but now I think of British actor [name]Benedict[/name] Cumberbatch. I wouldn’t even think of the Catholic connotations.