Benjamin or Reuben?

[name]Hi[/name] Guys :smiley:

[name]Just[/name] wanted to get some opinions on my new-found love, [name]Benjamin[/name]. I love the nn [name]Ben[/name]!

But though [name]Benjamin[/name] is lovely, I prefer the aesthetics of a name that’s always lurked on my lists, [name]Reuben[/name]. Either way I’d pair it up with [name]Peter[/name] as a mn. Could you get away with using [name]Ben[/name] as a nn for [name]Reuben[/name]? And how does each name go with my other top names, [name]William[/name] and [name]Alexander[/name] ([name]Alec[/name]) & [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Eva[/name]?

Would love to hear your thoughts :slight_smile:

Well, [name]Benjamin[/name] and [name]Reuben[/name] both are looks very good names but [name]Benjamin[/name] is one I liked the most. So, it I want to give you then I will recommend you [name]Benjamin[/name] name. [name]Hope[/name] it will be good and lovely for you.

I love both.

I know a [name]Reuben[/name] who goes by [name]Ben[/name]. [name]Plenty[/name] of Reubens and [name]Rubens[/name] have been in my family over the years - I have to imagine [name]Ben[/name] is much easier to manage nowadays than the turn-of-the-20th C. option of having Great-Great-Uncle [name]Ruby[/name], which my family tree does!

It mildly irritates me that being married to one, I shan’t have the other, as [name]Ben[/name] is the only good nickname for both.

I don’t think [name]Reuben[/name] feels the same “flavour” as [name]Peter[/name] but both flow reasonably well. [name]Benjamin[/name] feels a bit less jarring in terms of [name]Benjamin[/name] being a more mainstream name. [name]Reuben[/name] [name]Peter[/name] feels weird to me but I’ve never known a family that had Reubens in it to have Peters or vice versa. ([name]Reuben[/name] feels more Jewish to me, and Jewish families don’t often use [name]Peter[/name]). It’s not one of those names that can’t be moved about beyond its most popular ethnicity though.

They both work with [name]William[/name], [name]Alexander[/name], and [name]Rose[/name] to me (assuming you don’t mind [name]Reuben[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] in the same family) and they don’t NOT go with [name]Eva[/name], I just don’t like [name]Eva[/name] and find it hard to match to anything really. I do think [name]Eva[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] feel a bit short compared to [name]William[/name], [name]Alexander[/name], and [name]Benjamin[/name], but not unworkably so.

I prefer [name]Benjamin[/name]. More mainstream, easy to spell and lends itself more naturally to the nickname [name]Ben[/name] (I’d hate to have my child nicknamed [name]Rube[/name] at school).

I also prefer [name]Benjamin[/name]. When I hear [name]Reuben[/name] I think of the sandwich - thought if I knew an actual child named [name]Reuben[/name] I think I would warm up to it quickly.

I also prefer [name]Benjamin[/name]. [name]Reuben[/name] reminds me of two things: sandwiches and rubes (idiots, someone who is naive etc).

I think [name]Benjamin[/name] sounds better with your other name choices, which I consider classics.

Never heard of a [name]Reuben[/name] sandwich before, guessing it’s an American thing.

I love [name]Reuben[/name], and nn [name]Ben[/name] isn’t a stretch at all. [name]Benjamin[/name]'s nice enough but I think [name]Reuben[/name] has just that little bit more zest to it. [name]Benjamin[/name] goes better with [name]William[/name] and [name]Alexander[/name] though, but either would work with [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Eva[/name] assuming you don’t mind repeated initials.

I like both, but I do prefer [name]Benjamin[/name] but I might be biased because I know a guy called [name]Reuben[/name] who I hate so that’s probably why.

[name]Reuben[/name] is more unpopular though so thats one bonus to that name, theres pros and cons to both but I just prefer [name]Benjamin[/name], most likely because of the association with the guy I know…

I wasn’t helpful really, at all! haha

Thanks for all the replies! I think I’m going to stick with [name]Benjamin[/name] for the moment and leave [name]Reuben[/name] to be a list lurker :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting about the sandwich though. I think it is a US thing because I hadn’t heard of it either. Perhaps that accounts for [name]Reuben[/name] being in the UK top 100 but 900-something in the US?

I know of reubens (I’m American, and from [name]East[/name] Coast deli territory at that) but it wouldn’t stop me from using the name. That said, there’s more appealing things than picturing a cornbeef-sauerkraut-thousand island dressing sandwich.

I also like [name]Reuven[/name] (the name, it’s not a meal) but it’s even less mainstream than [name]Reuben[/name] and also not pronounced with 2 syllables.

[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Peter[/name] would be a lovely name!