Berkeley for our first boy?

I think we have decided on the name [name]Berkeley[/name] for our first little boy. I love the name, but am worried about how it will be received? [name]Berkeley[/name]? Like the school?

What do you think of this name?

We are also having a really difficult time coming up with a middle name that we like. I think I want something a little more edgy to contrast with the first name, but haven’t been able to come up with anything. Please help!

It’s nice, I have never heard of it before. I guess the nickname could be “[name]Berk[/name]” if you’re fine with that. If I’m not sure on a boy name, I look at my husband and my son and see whether they could pull off that name, since they would have similar personality/looks to the new boy. That helped me a lot. They do not suite a [name]Zachary[/name] for example, haha.

For middle names, you mentioned edgy but I would think something more traditional since [name]Berkeley[/name] is not common. It might be too much with 2 uncommon/edgy names. [name]How[/name] about: [name]Berkeley[/name] [name]William[/name], [name]Berkeley[/name] [name]Samual[/name], [name]Berkeley[/name] [name]Michael[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] you figure something out! :slight_smile:

The main association for [name]Berkeley[/name] is the university. I’ve been seeing this name a lot on other websites as a option for girls (this spelling as well as [name]Berkley[/name]). I find the sound very masculine (especially [name]Berk[/name]) so I think it’s better suited for a boy. I just wanted to point out the trend I’ve noticed to give you a heads up. It has an aristocratic, patrician air about it due to its [name]Ivy[/name] League connection but if you love it, go for it!

i really don’t care for this name at all. First, it sounds very feminine. I can see this much easier on a girl. Second, it is part of the surnamey crazy trend right now. Sorry, but I wanted to be honest. [name]How[/name] about instead:

[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Burke[/name]

I’ve seen this mentioned a lot for girls on forums, just wanted to make you aware of that in case it would bother you. I do see it as feminine. I would definitely use a classic very male name for the mn to go with [name]Berkeley[/name], such as [name]William[/name] or [name]Richard[/name] or [name]Edward[/name].

I know three little girl [name]Berkley[/name]'s, no boys. [name]Just[/name] heads up. If you love it, go for it. I do really like the nn [name]Berk[/name] for a boy though.

I have a friend whose older brother is Berkley (I like it without the extra E) and he’s 28 and very artsy.
I’ve always thought of it to be very masculine (even before meeting him).
At first everyone will probably say “like the school?” but that wouldn’t last long.

For MNs I would pick something classic:
Berkley William
Berkley Christopher
Berkley Robert
Berkley Joseph
Berkley Thomas
Berkley Matthew

In UK slang, berk means idiot. So that may be something to bear in mind (or not? - I guess the UK slang meaning never stopped [name]Randy[/name] from being used in the States).

I also feel like this is a girls name, as I’ve only met/heard of girls with this name.

Why not use [name]Burke[/name]? That’s a name in it’s own right, and very masculine, in my opinion anyway.

I agree with kibby! [name]Burke[/name] is awesome and has the scholarly feel of [name]Berkeley[/name].
I live in [name]Berkeley[/name] and was just talk about place names with my fiance the other day. I was thinking about it and while I really like place names, it limits your child’s options. Maybe he would never live in the bay area because of his name? [name]Just[/name] a thought.

This is a trendy girls name to me, I know 2 toddler girls with this name.